Just what I thought about those pertussis outbreaks... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
...the cases are often misdiagnosed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/...lCzh_nHZis0NUE...

Yet, these reports often have the desired effect of creating hysteria and having everyone line up, roll up their sleeve, and get shot up.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

A most telling quote;

Quote:
The most accurate diagnostic testing for whooping cough requires a week or more to grow the pertussis bacteria from a sample from a patient's nose or throat. Sometimes that's too long for health authorities to take action to prevent the disease from spreading.

Increasingly, doctors have depended on a faster, but less accurate test. Different labs do the tests differently, leading to uneven results, experts say.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM
EVC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting...So when vax rates are high they (mis) diagnose pertussis as bronchitis, etc and when vax rates are falling they (mis) diagnose bronchitis, etc as pertussis. Is that what I'm to understand? :

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

That doctors are always scaring people into getting vaccines because of perceived low compliance with regard to vax rates. I am 53 years old and I have never heard of a 100% compliance rate. Doctors are never happy enough with the vaccine rate and keep lying to scare everyone into staying vaxed.

That diagnosing pertussis everytime someone coughs is to scare everyone into getting vaccinated with the vaccine.

Thank you, I am done. Am I on MDC? Who is in charge around here?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
EVC

Quote:
Thank you, I am done. Am I on MDC? Who is in charge around here?
Huh? What brought this on?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Huh?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM

It doesn't surprise me at all. The fact is even when my ds DID have pertussis, they couldn't diagnose it. It took someone else in my peer group doing a titer test for pertussis to send her unvaxed child to school 2 years later to get a confirmation that the whole group of kids probably had had it together. I suggested testing for it when dc#2 was so sick (he got it when he was 5 months old at the time), but the docs poo poo'ed the idea that he could have it. Of course, they may well have tested for it (I do remember nose swaps happening) and it came back negative...I cannot remember at this point. I do remember that he projectile vomited the antibiotic they gave him...

I'm off topic...sorry

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
EVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadean View Post
I suggested testing for it when dc#2 was so sick (he got it when he was 5 months old at the time), but the docs poo poo'ed the idea that he could have it. Of course, they may well have tested for it (I do remember nose swaps happening) and it came back negative...I cannot remember at this point. I do remember that he projectile vomited the antibiotic they gave him...

I'm off topic...sorry

Was your dc vax'ed? If so, then they probably never bothered to test for it because, you know, vax'ed people CAN'T get VPDs. Why, that would mean that...the vax'es weren't working!

Hence the frequent bronchitis, etc. diagnosis and why pertussis all but "disappeared" for a while until those bothersome nonvaxers started growing in number and causing this brand new came out of no where pertussis epidemic which turns out to not even be pertussis : It makes you wonder, doesn't it? What is really going on with pertussis? Has the number of REAL pertussis cases changed AT ALL over the years since the vax was introduced? We have no way of knowing...

BTW, what did the doctor claim that your dc had?

User Tag List