I am due with baby #1 in four weeks. I have been doing a lot of research on vaccines and have decided that I would like to forgo them all. Michigan has a philosophical exemption so I figured I was all set. Until this week that is....
I live in a very rural area and there are simply not many doctors to choose from. In fact, I am having a home birth and could not find an OB that was willing to work with me so I am going without a back up. There are two pediatricians and a handful of family practice doctors. All of the docs in the area are under the same physicians group, as in there are no independent docs in the imediate area. I have been interviewing the family practice and peds to find one for the baby. I do want to have a designated doctor for the baby so going without is not an option for me.
In the interviews I bring up the vax issue in this way "I would like to delay vaccines, how do you feel about this". I know full well that they have to tell me they do not agree and that is OK. But instead I have been getting a different line "I am not willing to be your baby's doc unless you do the regular schedule and full vaccinations". Knowing that my stance is actually stronger than the "delayed" line that I am using as the tester question, I can see I am going to have major problems. During visit number 1, I am going to be fired as a patient when I refuse the first vaccine. I have now gotten the same line from three docs. I asked the last doc if that was a group policy and sure enough, it is. All of the docs in the area are programmed to act the same way so it is basically pointless for me to waste my time interviewing the other docs.
This means I have two choices. Either fully vax on schedule and have a baby doc or go without a doc. Inevidebly, chances are high that at some point, I am going to have to see a doc with the child. So I do not see how option 2 is even an option. I live two hours from the next closest town. And it is still a small area that is likely just as medically conservative as this area. I seriously doubt I would have better luck there.
What would you do in this situation? Can docs really refuse patients in this manner?
I am also getting very concerned about my reputation in this town. I already ticked off all of the OBs with my "radical" home birth ideas. Now I have alienated myself from the peds and a couple of family practice docs. While I could care less what people think about me, I do not want to be denied medical services or treated as a quack for the rest of my life. I have lost my original family practice doc (who I liked) over this issue. I am beginning to question whether my convistions about not vaxxing are worth the other harmful things I am bringing on to myself....
And I am really bummed because the last doc I interviewed was perfect in every other way. She would be a great doc for the whole fanily, 100% supported my home birth and veganism. Even admitted that she was not comfortable with the vaccine combos currently being used. But said sadly that she had no choice about this issue. She could not be the baby's doc if we do not vax as recommended