Need help with Kindergarten vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-23-2003, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an almost 5 year old who will be going to K this year. He is fully vax'd up till now.
I also have a 17 month old, who I am delaying/selectively vaxing. She's had 2 shots so far. I am also 8 weeks pregnant.

My dilemma is this: I dont know if I should get the K shots for my son. My feeling is that the shots arent that important at this age, since if he were to get a disease at this age, it wouldnt be that risky. Am I correct? I have also read that by age 7 or so, many kids arent even immune anymore, that the immunity has worn off from all those shots. So what is the point?

BUT at the same time, I am afraid he could bring something home to the new baby. Would he still be immune from his baby shots at age 5? I
plan to hold off vaxing the new baby till at least 1 year like I did with my daughter.

If I chose not to vax him anymore, would I just not give the school his shot record at all and do the exemption form?

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this?
I really dont know what to do.
I am in Idaho if that helps anyone to answer.
Oh, and does anyone have any inof on side effects of vax in older kids? I mostly hear of side effecets in babies, not older 5 year olds.

Thank you!
#2 of 5 Old 07-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Banned

For Idaho school (Adams)

4 Doses of DTP, DT or Td vaccine with the last dose on or after the fourth birthday.

3 Doses of Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV) of 4 doses of Inactivated (Injectable) Polio Vaccine (IPV) with the last dose on or after the fourth birthday.

1 Dose of Measles, Rubella & Mumps (MMR) given after one year of age.

3 Doses of Hepatitis B Vaccine for children born after November 22, 1991.

"Please keep your child's record current by notifying the school when new shots are received. If you are unable to have your child immunized for religious, medical or personal reasons, it is necessary that we have you sign an EXEMPT form at our school to be put in your child's file. Your family physician will also need to sign the form if exemption is for medical reasons."

Looks like you can be exempt no problem at some schools. If you go that route, then they don't need to see any records of immunization, just the exemption letter. Check to see what your child's school requires on the exemption letter.

http://www.d321.k12.id.us/~Adams/handbook.htm

I think a quick call to the school would be best. Then you'll know for sure and can ask questions from there.

The main reason there are any follow up shots is because it does make sure immunity remains instead of wearing off, some shots work after only a few doses, while others need more. It just depends on the microbe (virus or bacteria or anti-toxin). I think anti-toxin vaccines wear off more than others (like tetanus shots) while others protect you for life (but to do that you need the whole series).

Which one is the kindergarten shot? He may not be immune from the disease for the shot at that time, but should be for the other ones he already got and is not get a booster for. If it's tetanus I wouldn't worry about it though.

From what I can tell you just have to worry about hepatitus B and MMR if you get those done.
Immunity is not completely worn off, but I'm pretty sure for some kids they aren't as protected if they don't have the whole series. If you had the polio ones done, then the child should be protected from paralytic polio for the rest of their lives. I still have to look that up to make sure.

The non live vaccines will not and cannot be passed on to others because the kids won't 'shed' any viruses (none are being made by the body). The body just builds up immunity, and you can't catch immunity from each other. So not much of anything can be brought home to the baby except chicken pox, flu, or whatever else kids get at that age normally.

I'm sure there will be lots of others posting info for you.
I found this on the internet.

For San Diego:
Number of shots that need to be documented on a shot record for the student to enter Kindergarten. ( I don't think all of them are required, like the chicken pox one. Hib is not required for sure.)

Polio(OPV/IPV) There should be four(4) dates and stamps.

DTP/DTaP There should be five(5a) dates and stamps.

MMR There should be two (2c) dates and stamps.

Hepatitis B There should be three (3) dates and stamps.

Hib Do not confuse this one with Hepatitis B, these are different vaccines for different purposes. This is not required for Kindergarten entry.

Varicella Chickenpox There should be one date and stamp or verification of the disease

This number includes kindergarten boosters. If your child is 4-6 years old, entry requirements are met with only 3 polio and 4 DPTs if at least one polio and one DTP dose were after your child's fourth birthday.

One dose on or after the first birthday is required for grades 1-12. A second dose of measles-containing vaccine will be required for students entering 7th grade effective July 1, 1999. Mumps immunization is not required for students age 7 and older.

Here is the link so you can check what areas that is for

http://www2.sandi.net/health/parents/kindergarten.htm

Is Apache Junction in Idaho?

Quote:
APACHE JUNCTION- If your children are entering Kindergarten, first, second, third, seventh or eighth grade in the fall of 2001, parents will need to make sure they have received three Hepatitis B shots and a second Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) shot in order to attend school. Since three Hepatitis B shots are necessary and the course of shots takes four to six months to complete, parents are urged to get the first Hepatitis B shot as soon as possible.
3 Hep B and
2 MMR

http://www.ajnews.com/Archivewsfree_...s_for_kids.htm
#3 of 5 Old 07-24-2003, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
BUT at the same time, I am afraid he could bring something home to the new baby. Would he still be immune from his baby shots at age 5? I
this thread is not completely on topic but not completely off topic. It might be of some help.

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=74058

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#4 of 5 Old 07-24-2003, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
In fact seriously consider home schooling your child.

State school education is no place to "grow" an inquisitive open thinking individual who can make a difference in the world. All they spawn are people who spout the regulations, the conventional way of thinking and who cannot see outside any square.
Really? That is *all* a state school can spawn? There are lots of unconventional moms here on MDC, and many think outside the box on issues like AP, non-vax, no circ, family bed, activism etc. Were we *all* home-schooled??

Hilary, I think home-school is a wonderful option. Its something I might do someday. But I don't think it is the ONLY way to raise a non-conformist child! As someone who went to school and did get some positive things out of it, I think your statement is a bit harsh.

Okay, back to the original thread!
#5 of 5 Old 07-24-2003, 09:02 AM

Just wanted to add that Just because your child (or anyone for that matter) is not getting sick with hib,Hep B ,diptheria,whooping cough,tetanus,MMR,etc does NOT mean they are "immune".
Thinking that they are "protected "from a disease that there are vaccines for is not always true-many diseases are spread /happen to those who HAD the vaccines.
I believe it is a false sense of security.

Learn about the diseases & how to treat them-that is real immunity-

::
momma to 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page