#1 of 11 Old 07-24-2003, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 11 Old 07-24-2003, 08:02 PM

If you want an exemption before the law goes into effect and/or before you can get your official affidavit filed, you're going to have to take the religious exemption. That's just the way it works ... There's no wiggle room for "in the future, I want ...". Unfortunately, you're stuck dealing with the law that's currently in place -- and that means medical or religious exemptions only.

Sorry to hear you're stuck in the transition zone.
#3 of 11 Old 07-25-2003, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

#4 of 11 Old 07-25-2003, 11:06 AM

They want a letter because their regulations require it. If they don't have one or if your letter doesn't meet the specific legal requirements, it's no good to them. They will get into trouble when child care licensing comes to inspect if your child's records aren't exactly in order as prescribed by child care licensing regulations. This means you have to include all the legally required components of a religious exemption or licensing will not recognize the exemption-- it's really out of the specific facility's hands where that's concerned.
#5 of 11 Old 07-25-2003, 11:49 PM

I don't think anyone has the right to question your religious exemption. All you have to say is that your "personal" religious beliefs do not allow for you to vaccinate your child. Religion is a very broad term & is protected by our constitution. Considering yourself a "naturalist" could be your religion & you oppose any unnatural medical care (just an example!) The point is I dont think there is any legal reason that you have to go into detail or explain yourself in the letter.

Have you checked out some of the vaccine websites? they offer alot of help for people in your situation. PROVE is texas based & thus a very helpful resource, just in case you arent familiar with it , I will post it for you.

http://www.vaccineinfo.net/index.shtml

Hope this helps you out some!!

Oh, & one tip, if you are really searching for a "reason" to give... If you are a member of any Christian religion an easy reason is available. Regardless of your personal pro-life/choice status... I know the catholic/baptists/etc church itself tends to maintain a pro-life stance & a couple of the vaccines are cultured on aborted fetal lung tissue. I know some churches, including the catholic church of course, has taken a stance on this & would give you some reason.

Personally I just claim a religious exemption & have stuck to the no one has a right to question my personal religious beliefs statement. "religion" doesnt mean you have to abide by one particular churches doctrine, religion is a belief system that each & everyone one of us holds uniquely.

Best of luck! Hope this helps some!!

Stephanie
#6 of 11 Old 07-27-2003, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

#7 of 11 Old 07-27-2003, 10:28 PM

I don't know if this will be of any help since it is UK:http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/arch...03-0-8-13.html

Muslim babies’ MMR jabs have traces of pork

Injections illegal under Islamic law, says imamVICKY COLLINS THOUSANDS of
Muslim babies in Scotland have been injected with a derivative of pork contained
in a major child vaccine, The Herald can reveal.One of the two triple measles,
mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccines used by GPs in Britain are made using
porcine gelatin, which is forbidden in Islam.Public health officials in *******
admitted that they had only begun informing parents in the last week.Strict
Muslims can only use medicines containing derivatives of pork in a medical
emergency when there is no other option.Muslim leaders across Scotland reacted angrily
to the revelation and are demanding that Muslim parents must be warned about
any medication that may contain pork derivatives to allow them to make an
informed choice.Habib Rauf, imam at the ******* Central Mosque, said: "I did not
know it contained porcine gelatin. I have a three-year-old child who was
recently given the MMR vaccine and if I had known about this I would not have let my
child have the vaccination."Generally, patients never see the full
ingredients list for vaccines, although doctors will check if there are any medical
conditions that lead to side- effects.The vaccine with gelatin which is used
widely in Britain is made by Aventis Pasteur, while Merck makes another vaccine
containing porcine gelatin which is used widely across the world, but not in the
UK. Another vaccine used in the UK is made by Priorix and is free of the
material. However, usage of either one depends on availability.Between them,
Aventis Pasteur and Merck have offices in 41 countries across the world, including
Arab nations such as Egypt, the Gulf and Saudi Arabia, as well as Indonesia,
the world's most populous Muslim nation.A spokesman for Aventis Pasteur admitted
the company was aware of the possible implications of using such ingredients
for religious groups.He claimed it was "not a problem" because the gelatin was
broken down into peptides, and was therefore refined and not pure gelatin. He
confirmed there was no vegetarian option. He declined to comment on when the
company first began using porcine gelatin in MMR. Merck was unavailable for
comment.However, Muslims said the ingredient still would be a concern because it
was sourced from pig, and said an alternative to porcine gelatin, such as
agar, should be used, or a warning given to all parents who were considering the
jab for their child.Mohammad Faroghul Quadri, imam at the Khazra Mosque,
*******, said: "The gelatin may be broken down, but those ingredients still come
from pork originally. This gelatin from pork is totally illegal under Islamic
law."Mohammed Sarwar, Labour MP for ******* Govan, said: "I am sure if it is the
case that MMR contains pork gelatin then that would be a concern for the
Muslim community."Unlike Muslims, Jews are only forbidden to eat pork, and have no
concerns about its use in medicines, according to Judith Tankel, who sits on
the committee of the ******* Council of Christians and Jews.She said: "There
is no problem with us wearing shoes or clothes made using pigs and certainly
injections or medicine containing derivatives of pig are no problem."Dr Syed
Ahmed, immunisation co-ordinator for Greater ******* NHS, said he had been
alerted to the problem by a Muslim GP and had contacted all GPs in ******* asking
them to warn Muslim parents and offer the option of using the alternative MMR
vaccine made by Priorix.

Forbidden food

Strict Muslims are only allowed to eat foods not expressly forbidden in the
Koran and animals slaughtered "in the name of Allah" are considered halal, or
lawful, to eat.The Koran says only animals which chew the cud and have cloven
hooves can be eaten, and as pigs do not chew the cud they are considered haram,
or forbidden.Although Jews also consider pork to be unclean, kosher law only
covers animal products which are eaten.-June 26th>>>>

My dh is muslim(I am jewish),but he eats pork anyway. I am raising the kids christian,but saved this for whatever reason.I know there were a few threads on muslims and vaccines,so do a search of the board.

Best wishes!
Sara
#8 of 11 Old 07-28-2003, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

#9 of 11 Old 07-28-2003, 04:25 PM

Firstly, re' the religious exemption in Texas, last time I checked the dept. of health site, no-one may ask what religion is involved. (Probably due to one or more pending lawsuits on the issue, challenging the constitutionality of and such requirements).

Secondly, I also am hoping the C.E. so recently passed is not overturned in special session(s). I am not in need of it pers., since we homeschool, and we will be returning to Oregon next spring/summer anyway, but it is just the right thing to do, imo. As a native Texan, I want to see Texas join the other 18 states who trust parents enough to make this decision for their children unhindered.
The Gov., Rick Perry, has pushed for a C.E. in the past, and gone on record as supporting parental choice, and he is the one who wouuld have to schedule this bill for a vote. I hope he stands by his convictions and doesn't.

Some have reported trying to cite the new law (which doesn't take effect until Sept 1, I think it is) at enrollment (which is ongoing now and through August), with mixed results.
Others are using religious exemptions and plan to switch over later. (or not).

Essentially, as long as the school has the required paperwork on file, most have no problem with it. JME as a former preschool teacher in the state. During an inspection, they have to produce the files and the forms and demonstrate they are all in order/filled out and filed.

As for the Islamic faith and objections, I would assume that your personal practice might differ in some respects from that of the school or other Muslims. You might be more strict in your interpretations/practices than others who share your faith, just as some Catholics refuse vaccines cultured on fetal tissue but most do not, nor does the church have any explicit position on the matter. In other words, there certainly IS a religious justification for your position, at least wrt those vaccines which might contain pork byproducts (or really, ANY animal byprocts, as I believe most if not all do, since does not Muslim law require that animals used for food/consumed into the body be slaughtered according to certain laws? I can assure you that those used to culture/compose vaccines are not treated according to Islamic law!. (Or Jewish, ftm) As a vegeatarian myself, I know I object to injecting my children with what I would never feed them by mouth, jmo.

It is ultimatly a matter for you to work out, between you and your God/Higher Self. If you are strongly opposed to the procedure, imo it is your right to resist it by any non-violent means necessary.
JMHO.

Blessings Be! Kimberly, mom to Forest, 11 and Lily, 3
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 11 Old 07-29-2003, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

#11 of 11 Old 07-30-2003, 04:58 PM

LOL! Yeah, since when was religion considered a more valid reason to object than a decision based on "scientific" evidence?
One of my main beefs with the current laws in many states; if I present reams of facts published and accepted by the scientific/medical community, too bad; no exemption.
But if I come forward and say "it's against my religion, tho' not based on any science", Oh, okay then!

FTR, while I am not a member of any "recognized" religion, I AM very spiritual, (raised as a fund. Christian, left the church at 15 or so, explored other approaches, finally settled on an eclectic blend as dictated by my pers. exp. of God, am tolerant of the paths of others, etc). I have faith, based on experience and belief, in the innate health of my children, and that is sourced in Divinity, NOT fear-based medical procedures.
So imo, vaccination IS "against my religion", though I also hold many "philosophical/science based" objections to it as well. Hence, I have used a religious exemption in the past as needed, but would prefer to be able to just opt out with no "questions asked", as should be my right as a parent.

I simply refuse to justify my relationship with the Divine to ANY man, or comprise/contradict it in order to fit into the little boxes provided for me, lol! (ftr, when I am asked, on a form, for my "race", I fill in "HUMAN".

Best of wishes in your quest! Kimberly
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page