Not vaxing in Texas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2003, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We may be moving there, and while I am pleased to see that Texas has better bfing and homeschooling laws, the vax law is much more restrictive. So how do you get away with it?

This is the law regarding religious exemption:
Quote:
an affidavit signed by the applicant or, if a minor, by the applicant's parent or guardian stating that the immunization conflicts with the tenets and practice of a recognized church or religious denomination of which the applicant is an adherent or member, except that this exemption does not apply in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health;
italics mine

It seems obvious it can't be a personal religious belief, rather that it has to be a accepted belief of the church or denomination.

So what recognized church/denomination do you use?

If you use Catholicism, does that keep you from using all of them or just the ones that have human diploid cells?

PM me if you live in Dallas and have a ped who supports you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I'm a dork. I just read the stuff about the new conscientious belief exemption, but I need to know if it got repealed or not. Does anyone know? And if it did get repealed then my original question stands.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:22 AM

It did not get repealed. A repeal was brought up in committee, but the governor did not put it on the agenda for consideration during the special session. We are expecting that opponents of the exemption will try to weasel in a repeal at the earliest opportunity next session.

Read more about it at PROVE's website or at APConnect! (see link in my sig, below), where you'll also find info on local health care providers.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Mamaste!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:24 AM

I just want to say that I wrote a letter to my Rep a few weeks ago about the repeal attempt and he wrote me back this week saying that it would probably die in commitee anyhow. He also mentioned that while he believed that Vaccinating was important that he was going to fight to keep it in the parents hands. I am very please with my rep right now

User Tag List