Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I was actually planning on giving her the Ruebella vax all along. From almost the beginning of me badgering Merck every few months they have had the Ruebella vax available.
I guess although I know the chances that she will get it are very slim....and I know that is little to no incidence in our county (was never able to get PA wide #'s...and even the county ones I got were from our local dept...they had to search through a yearly report to get me the stats). My main reason to give dd the Ruebella vax is to protect preggos as well as herself later in life. Dh and I are planning another child and dd is in a daycare center setting every day. Between her being exposed to all kinds of stuff (although she's as healthy as a horse and we are still nursing a tiny bit each night) at daycare and us getting preggo again...I'd rather err on the side of caution.
My main concern is w/ the Measles and Mumps antibody interactions. Dh, his half brother (same Mother), his mom and grandfather all had bowel problems of one type or another...and three have confirmed cases of colitis, his mom has Crohns as well. I suspect his grandfather may have had either or both, but since it was so long ago may have not been diagnosed correctly.
Since dd is genetically set up to get colitis I was adament about her not getting the MMR shot together on the slim chance that the S.M. Montgomery studies are correct regarding corrolations between exposed to the measles and mumps antibodies in less than a year and later contracting gut diseases.
I am aware that there is strong corrolation studies re this, as well as theories that measles alone may also trigger it (although all of those studies have technically been "refuted"). Which is why I will give mumps first and wait 2yrs before doing measles.
Dd has had all of her shots to date except for Hep B (we are defering that decision until she's a preteen), MMR and Chicken Pox. I'm still VERY on the fence about CP and am leaning towards holding off on it until 5yo and about to start school and deciding then. Dd also has not gotten any more than one vaccination per drs visit....I feel very strongly that we wait between each shot for any possible reactions, etc.
Basically what I've done since before dd's birth is to look at each vax individually as to if it was necessary and balance that with the safety of it. I feel strongly that vaxes are a good thing in theory but that in practice there have been shortcuts and re safety as well as strong arming from industry which I feel has preyed upon those parents...which are in the majority...that don't question what their drs tell them.
I also am NOT happy with the research that is done on either side of the debate....the majority of studies are flawed or don't cover a large enough sample to really be indicative of the real story. And don't get me started on studies of studies...they just drive me nuts. It's very difficult to find a non biased honest look at the vaccination question. I've tried to do my best in sifting through the info and coming up w/ a plan that works for me and my family.