Dr Sears "The Vaccine Book" - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 218 Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
So much for actually looking at the research...

ETA: So his schedule has ALL vaccines? I thought he was selective?
I think some people still aren't understanding the whole concept behind this book... which just goes to show how we all are really not used to having educational books available without (much/any) bias! The WHOLE point of this book is to educate you on the different vaxes & diseases, and then to HELP you in making the choice you want to make. It's like a choose your own adventure book. If you WANT to selective vax, he offers a selective schedule and info on how to even decide which ones YOU might want to put into a schedule of your own. If you WANT to fully vax, he offers a full-vax schedule that is less harmful than the CDC/AAP-recommended one.

The whole point is to help you in the decision you make. If you want to not vax, he fully supports that in the book, and I think there's adequate information there to help you be solidified in that answer. (At least, that's how I feel.) But if you want to be a selective/delayed/full-vaxer, he has information there available to you.

This book is not about HIM and whether or not HE is a selective/delayed/non/full-vaxer, but this book is a choose your own adventure for YOURSELF.
#212 of 218 Old 11-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELTAZ View Post
This book is not about HIM and whether or not HE is a selective/delayed/non/full-vaxer, but this book is a choose your own adventure for YOURSELF.
Definitely not in alignment with the CDC approach. Do you know what will happen if everyone just goes around making their own decisions about vaxing and diseases? I'm sure it is something bad.
#213 of 218 Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELTAZ View Post
I think some people still aren't understanding the whole concept behind this book... which just goes to show how we all are really not used to having educational books available without (much/any) bias! The WHOLE point of this book is to educate you on the different vaxes & diseases, and then to HELP you in making the choice you want to make. It's like a choose your own adventure book. If you WANT to selective vax, he offers a selective schedule and info on how to even decide which ones YOU might want to put into a schedule of your own. If you WANT to fully vax, he offers a full-vax schedule that is less harmful than the CDC/AAP-recommended one.

The whole point is to help you in the decision you make. If you want to not vax, he fully supports that in the book, and I think there's adequate information there to help you be solidified in that answer. (At least, that's how I feel.) But if you want to be a selective/delayed/full-vaxer, he has information there available to you.

:
#214 of 218 Old 11-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post

Again, I think this is a useful book for serious pro-vaxers or undecideds, but those of us who are already against vaccines don't need it. And it will at least help validate parental concerns as not just paranoid fluff.
I respectfully disagree... I am against vaccines and this has been the best thing I've ever gotten. Now I have a great reference for *why* DS isn't getting vaxed so I can better explain it to people (i.e., family members) who don't understand... and since it's written by a doctor and is a published work, they're less likely to look at me like I'm crazy.

It's already made me feel much better in talking about being anti-vax with folks.

Also--DH, who was on the fence about vaxes, is now totally on board with me, thanks to this book. I gave him lots of information before this, including watching the Dr. Jay Gordon DVD... but the Dr. Sears book is what did it for him.

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#215 of 218 Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Huggingmama - very interesting. Could you maybe elaborate just a bit, if you have time???
#216 of 218 Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 PM

I actually agree with that perspective, hence my last line there. It isn't useful for me for information, but it is useful for validating the non-vaxing viewpoint.
#217 of 218 Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
I hate to jump into this conversation, but this stood out to me. If this is truly how he words it, then yes, he is biased toward vaxing. A non-biased viewpoint would be worded more equally such as: "Reasons to get this vaccine" and Reasons not to get this vaccine" or "Reasons some choose this vaccine" and "Reasons some do not choose this vaccine." Does that make sense? By stating it the way it is, he is clearly showing that he is not among "some people [who] choose not to get this vaccine." Splitting hairs, I know, but I think it's a valid point.
that's what I thought too, when I skimmed through my copy.
#218 of 218 Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggingmama View Post
Also--DH, who was on the fence about vaxes, is now totally on board with me, thanks to this book. I gave him lots of information before this, including watching the Dr. Jay Gordon DVD... but the Dr. Sears book is what did it for him.
I had this same experience with my mom. She was adament that I give my kiddos the polio vax... b/c she had a friend who had polio, and it was awful. So, I read to hear the section on Polio, from Dr. Bob's book, and she immediately responded "Oh, well okay, that makes sense." and was completely and immediately on board with my kiddos not getting the polio vax. (Not like she gets a vote in the matter... but we were discussing the book, and she was concerned, so I addressed her concerns.)

I've read some of the sections to DH too, and it has helped him doubt me less. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page