Dr Sears "The Vaccine Book" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just recieved my copy of the book today in the mail, did anyone else?
I haven't had much of a chance to look at it yet, but i'm wondering what others have thought so far.
#2 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Just got mine too! I had just a few moments to look through the first few pages so far. DD is napping, so I'm going to sit down and look through it some more. My first step was to call the pediatrician and find out which types of vaccines (brand - Merck, etc.) my kids have already received so that I can check them out in this book. Can't wait to read some more!
#3 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM

I saw him speak on the topic last weekend at my LLL conference and got my book signed. Its been along time coming that we have a open book that isn't one sided...:

the only vaccines I had in my life are on the list of ones he says to consider if you don't vaccinate. I really like the book even if it just confirms my beliefs
#4 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM

So he recommends vaccines?

Not interested then. :
#5 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 PM

Yes, he recommends them. Kind of validating for all of us who are AP and vax. Anyway, he recommends spacing them out and only giving 2 a visit. But, he recommends you bring them in for extra well baby visits the first year so you can get all of them in. Here's a copy of his practice's schedule:

SEARS FAMILY PEDIATRICS IMMUNIZATION POLICY

Here is our routine schedule of immunizations:

2 months - DTaP, Hib
3 mo - Prevnar
4 months - DTaP, Hib
5 mo - Prevnar
6 months - DTaP, Hib
9 months - Prevnar, Polio
12 months - MMR, Polio (Chickenpox optional)
15 months - Prevnar, Hib
18 months - DTaP, Polio
4 years - DTaP
5 years - MMR, Polio

No Hep B, Hep A, Rotavirus and CP is optional. Haven't read his book though...

CNM mama.

#6 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Hm, I want to check that book out. That seems like a lot of vaxes. I'm doing selective/ delayed, but I like Mercola's recommended schedule better. Except I am going to start closer to age 3 instead of 2....

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/5/va...n_schedule.htm
#7 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM

So far so good!!! FINALLY, a balanced look at the vaccine issue. So far, I have been unable to find a book that would give a balanced look at each individual vaccine. Every book or article would be one side or the other and wouldn't give you both sides' pros and cons. I am only partially through the book and so far am very happy with what I am reading. Dr. Sears tells you the ingredients in each vaccine, which ingredients are ones to be concerned about, and gives a couple different options for selective/delayed vaxing. It sure makes me want to live in California so that I could take my kids to see him!!!
#8 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 PM

1ht readin it now= its more pro vax than i expected..i do selective/delayed vax
#9 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 PM

I read on their website for vaccines (discusses the vax book ect)and I was NOT impressed, imo it's just more pro-vax ped info (although more lenient if you will). I won't bother buying the book. And imo it's pretty um I don't know something for him to suggest those who don't vax to please just consider xyz vaccines.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#10 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
I read on their website for vaccines (discusses the vax book ect)and I was NOT impressed, imo it's just more pro-vax ped info (although more lenient if you will). I won't bother buying the book. And imo it's pretty um I don't know something for him to suggest those who don't vax to please just consider xyz vaccines.
He does have a section in the book for parents who delay or decline vaccination. He states that he generally does not try too hard to talk parents out of their choice (those declining vax), but likes to offer some options to consider. After all, it is his job as a pediatrician to provide the information on vaxes for parents even when the parents are declining. He offers a selective vaccination schedule that leaves out some of the vaccines and delays others even further. I think if you are planning on not vaxing all together, then it probably would be a waste of your time to buy any vaccine book anyway. I'm not trying to sound rude, but if your decision is made, why do you need to research the issue any further and read up more on vaccines that you aren't going to have your children get?
#11 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydep View Post
I'm not trying to sound rude, but if your decision is made, why do you need to research the issue any further and read up more on vaccines that you aren't going to have your children get?
I have not stopped researching eventhough I have made a decision about vaccines. Vaccinations are a huge topic and I don't know if I'll ever be done reading about them. I also like to recommend books to parents still deciding so I like to know what's out there.

The section for non-vaxing parents was completely blank on the website. I do understand that he believes in parental choice but I found his tone about declining condescending (sp?). He is biased and to me it's obvious.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#12 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

You're right - he probably is more biased and a bit more towards the pro-vax side, but I think it is really hard to find a pediatrician who isn't. I do feel, however, that so far (from what I've read up til this point) he at least is giving a balanced look at the pros and cons of vaxing and not vaxing. Either way, whether you vax or don't vax, you are taking a risk. You either take the risk to get the disease or you take a risk to have complications from the vax. He does a pretty good job explaining both IMO.
#13 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM

Does he say why he recommends prevnar?

I wonder why he doesn't recommend IPV...that's a weird one for someone to not recommend if they're pro-prevnar..
#14 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 PM

I'd like to read it but not buy it. So, I called my library and requested they buy it and I am first on the list if they do. I always like reading these kind of books.
#15 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM

Anyone who reccomends prevnar and MMR is pretty darn provax. Especially MMR at 12 months. : I'm not interested in reading a whole lot more provax propaganda, even if it is parading as non-biased information.
#16 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Oh geez i'm disappointed to hear that he is this way. I'm going to a LLL conference and the main reason was to hear him. Well thanks for the heads up..i wont be upset now. I'm no vax...nada nothing. No need to buy a book and have him sign it then.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#17 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Ok, I am probably opening a pan of worms by asking this but why are some of you so closed minded you won't even consider a pro vax opinion in any way? You might learn something new. You never know. You should not lambast the alternate viewpoint until you read the book. You may come out completely antivax or you may not. But, closing your mind to another's view is not a good way to learn anything or carry on any discussion about anything. It is just fodder for provaxers to say you are limited in your knowledge. So, educate yourself about what he says and then form your opinions.

Lecture over. Not going to debate this issue. Not interested in it. Just asking you to consider reading the book before you judge it.
#18 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
So he recommends vaccines?

Not interested then. :

We see Dr. Bob, and don't vax, and he has been nothing but supportive. In fact, he recommended that we stop vaxing because of DD's health issues.

He does vax, but he has his own vax schedule. He also tells his patients that he does not follow the regular vax schedule, and has a handout explaining why, and he also goes into great detail about the pros and cons of each vax on the handout. I am not sure if this info is in his book.

I wish he'd get off of his book tour though, we have been waiting for a callback from him for some labwork for DD. :
#19 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Does he say why he recommends prevnar?

I wonder why he doesn't recommend IPV...that's a weird one for someone to not recommend if they're pro-prevnar..
He basically says that you WILL encounter the Pc germ unless you are a stay-at-home agoraphobic, so the vaccine prevents your child from encountering a possibly severe case. He says that the problem with Pc diseases is that they can be very bad or very mild, but you just don't know what you are going to get. Also, the side effects from the vaccine are very rare.

Also, he does recommend IPV - it's just listed as "polio" above and the first dose isn't until 9 months. Now...on the delayed schedule it is delayed until 10 years old as a 3-dose series if there is a possibility of traveling to Africa or Asia. His reason for recommending it is that if too many people decline it, then in about 10 years "we may all be in trouble". Basically, it is for the public health down the road to keep polio from cropping back up in our country.

As far as the MMR goes, his schedule in the book differs from what Holly listed above. He recommends getting Mumps only at 12 months, Rubella at 2 years and Measles shot at 3 years. Then at 5 years a MMR booster or separate those shots again as an option. The delayed schedule leaves the MMR shot off all together and recommends getting a titre check at 10 years old and then consider vaccinating if not immune.

I can post the whole schedule out of his book if people are interested (is that legal??).
#20 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM

I went to two stores today looking for it. I am VERY excited to read it. Like Holly said I think its great to have an AP ped who educates about vaccines. I am very interested to see whathe says. We do selective/delayed and I am interested to see what he has to say about the ones we opted out of and are delaying. I am also interested to see if he discusses some of the major vaccine "issues" ie vaccines and autism and wonder what he says about vax ingredients.
#21 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Two questions:

Does he say the DTaP is very safe with few reactions? (As he did at a lecture)

Does he mention anything about serotype replacement in regards to Prevnar, Hib, Menactra? I'm guessing no since he recommends them.
#22 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 PM

He does address the vaccine/autism concern, but of course does not have a definitive answer because there isn't one yet. In a nutshell, he says it is difficult to prove that there is NOT a connection. I appreciate this remark, because at least he is not stating that there isn't a connection, which is what most pediatricians say. He says as more research becomes available he will post the updates on his site www.TheVaccineBook.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
Two questions:

Does he say the DTaP is very safe with few reactions? (As he did at a lecture)

Does he mention anything about serotype replacement in regards to Prevnar, Hib, Menactra? I'm guessing no since he recommends them.

He says that since the the P portion was made into aP (acellular) that we see fewer and less severe reactions. He also says the the standard side effects occur more often with DTaP than with HIB, but less often than Prevnar. He also states several times that no vaccine is without its risks and chances of reactions just as no disease is without risks or reactions. He does a very good job explaining the risks and reactions with each so that parents can make an educated decision.

And, yes, he discusses how researchers are working on updated versions of the Pc vaccine to address the emerging strains. He also mentions how 96% of the severe cases of Pc disease at a hospital in Dallas were caused by Pc strains not found in the vaccine. When the Pc vaccine was first made, the 7 strains that are in it were the most common strains. The vaccine has reduced those 7 strains which has allowed other ones to become more prevalent.
#23 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM

he sounds VERY pro vax. not interested AT ALL. we get enough provax propoganda EVERYWHERE. someone asked why we are not open to reading it....i think it was holly. because this is the same bs we have heard over and over from the peds, from the baby books, from the cdc, from the commercials, from the pamphlets, ETC.....ITS ALL THE SAME THING. vaccines are so wonderful they will save your life, the ingredients arent that bad, side effects are rare, BLAH BLAH. And recommending the MMR at 12 months is nutty....and so is starting all of those vax's at just 2 months old.
i can care less about stats, its a totally different story when vaccine reactions affect your child and so many children around you. reading all of the stories on this board alone would have been enough to convince me not to vax.

DS 5-11-06
#24 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
And recommending the MMR at 12 months is nutty....
Please read my above post. In his book he does NOT recommend the MMR at 12 months. He recommends splitting the shot up as I wrote above (mumps vax 12 mo, rubella 2 years, and measles 3 years).
#25 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I think if you are planning on not vaxing all together, then it probably would be a waste of your time to buy any vaccine book anyway. I'm not trying to sound rude, but if your decision is made, why do you need to research the issue any further and read up more on vaccines that you aren't going to have your children get?
We made the decision not to vax in summer of 2005, shortly after I found out I was pregnant. The research will probably never end, though...I continue to learn more and more every day, and in our case, it reaffirms our choice not to vax. New (to me) information comes up all the time about diseases, the immune system, vaccines, side effects, ingredients, and changes in those things...I think you would really be doing yourself a disservice to make your decision and end all research there.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#26 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
As far as the MMR goes, his schedule in the book differs from what Holly listed above. He recommends getting Mumps only at 12 months, Rubella at 2 years and Measles shot at 3 years. Then at 5 years a MMR booster or separate those shots again as an option. The delayed schedule leaves the MMR shot off all together and recommends getting a titre check at 10 years old and then consider vaccinating if not immune.

I can post the whole schedule out of his book if people are interested (is that legal??).
He must have revised his schedule or have several. I got this from another parenting website. Sorry for the mix-up. Maybe mine was from several years ago?

CNM mama.

#27 of 218 Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
someone asked why we are not open to reading it....i think it was holly.
That wasn't me. It was yellowpansy. I thought it, though. I mean, here you have the man who basically coined the term "attachment parenting" talking about vaccinations. He is an incredible breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, gentle disciplining, natural childbirthing, intactivist advocate! Why just dismiss his opinion, when he seems so *not mainstream* on just being "another one of those"? I would think his track record for supporting natural family living and attachment parenting would give his obviously very educated opinion incredible weight.

CNM mama.

#28 of 218 Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I'd like to give him credit for two things:

1) Listening to parent concerns about vaccines and treating them with respect

2) Sticking his neck out by offering parents a critical view of vaccines. As I've said before, from the point of view of the vax pushers, the selective and delayed vaxers are just as bad as the non-vaxers. The important thing from the vax pusher point of view is following orders. ANY discussion and debate is anathema. (Look what happened to Dr. Wakefield for suggesting that MMR be split.) To publish a book that recommends less vaxing and delayed vaxing is a huge step for a doctor. He is sticking his neck way out and will probably be attacked, a lot.

All that said, I doubt that his book contains useful information for parents who have already done a lot of research and decided not to vax. But I do think we should honor his courage, even if we don't agree with every single conclusion.

There are really just two sides in this argument.

Either you do every vax as recommended, when recommended, or you are BAD. So to all the selective and delayed vaxers on this board, just keep in mind that to most doctors and to the CDC, you are just as bad as the most flagrant non-vaxer going. From their point of view there are no reasonable alternative schedules. There are no good reasons for skipping a vax. They have spoken from Mt. Olympus and us mere mortals should shut up and sacrifice our children to the good of the herd.

End rant!
#29 of 218 Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM

I didn't find that he recommended them to anyone just ,here is what you are asked to do by the CDC and here are both sides...it was vary open ended...and WE don't vaccinate...for 2 generations

During his talk I found his tone towards some vaccines kinda laughing at them but trying his hardest not to sound biased...like the polio vaccine...he said if you travel to Asia then you may want to get it.

This book is great esp. for people who have never thought about vaccines and would need vary simple info without strong opinion given.
#30 of 218 Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:

And, yes, he discusses how researchers are working on updated versions of the Pc vaccine to address the emerging strains. He also mentions how 96% of the severe cases of Pc disease at a hospital in Dallas were caused by Pc strains not found in the vaccine. When the Pc vaccine was first made, the 7 strains that are in it were the most common strains. The vaccine has reduced those 7 strains which has allowed other ones to become more prevalent.

I guess I just don't see the point in vaxing for one thing when you know it's just going to be immediately replaced by something else as a result of vaxing for the first.

Does he explain why he thinks it's still a good idea?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page