Selective vaxing....what exactly does this mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-01-2003, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please, please, forgive my stupidity. What exactly does it mean to selectively vax? Does it mean that you only do the ones required for entry to school? Or does it mean you pick and choose regardless of requirements?

If it's the latter, how do you go about school when the time comes? Say you only do a couple of the required ones, do you end up getting an exemption when the time comes for entry to school? I live in Pennsylvania, so I know that they only have a medical and religious exemption.

I don't know, I don't even know if I'm asking this question right. : I have quite a few years left to worry about school, so I am just wondering what everyone does now; I'm just trying to understand.

Say, for example, I tell the dr I don't want to give dd her chicken pox and I decide that I no longer want to give dd the prevnar and Hib vaccine (these are not required in my state for Kindergarten). Would I just get an exemption at that time? Wouldn't the govt wonder what was up?

I hope I'm making some sense, b/c I'm starting to confuse myself.

Thanks for any explanation you can give!!

Jessica, dizzy.gifmom to 3 little ladiesjumpers.gif and babygirl.gif babyboy.gif twins who can't figure out where her avatar came from.

#2 of 3 Old 08-01-2003, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
selective vax does mean that you pick and choose. most parents that take this route have decided that the risks associated with the vax are outweighed by the risks of getting the disease.

not sure how the exemptions are handled in this case.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#3 of 3 Old 08-01-2003, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
by the time I found out I was pregnant I was already tipped off aout vaxes..meaning there was more to the story. However, when I first started to research I still thought there would be some I would want to vax for... I mean Polio for gawdsake!!! who wants that for their child!!! So, it was in my head that we might selectively vax. Well, then I started to read and read and read and I had friends who had not vaxed and I asked questions and bit by bit by bit...

we ended up not vaxing for anything. It was truly the best choice for us.

I wish you luck and if you need more research sources, maybe my thread will help

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=57794

good luck

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page