chicken pox vaccination contagious?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-04-2003, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 33 and never had the chicken pox.

Does anyone know if you can catch the chicken pox from someone who has just been vaccinated for it? My dd's pediatrician says no, but I know it's possible to catch other diseases from vaccinated children.

I am especially concerned due to my age and now that I'm going to the ped's office with my dd so often--that I will catch it from just vaccinated children, nurses who are handling vaccines, etc. It's an awful disease as an adult. I also don't want to chance getting it while pregnant when we decide to have another child, either--as that's risky.

I am considering getting vaccinated for it to avoid the whole issue...

Any experiences or info for me out there???
#2 of 6 Old 08-04-2003, 02:25 PM

You can ask your doctor to draw a titre for you to see if you're immune. I did that for mmr when I was getting certified for home daycare. I didn't just want to get the shot b/c I was nursing and I knew I was vax'd, but getting hold of the records would be quite the challenge.

I'd start w/the titre and make your decision to vax or not after that info.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 6 Old 08-04-2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gardenmom
I am 33 and never had the chicken pox.

Does anyone know if you can catch the chicken pox from someone who has just been vaccinated for it? My dd's pediatrician says no, but I know it's possible to catch other diseases from vaccinated children.
I did at 31. A woman I worked with brought her daughter in to work one day. She had just had the CP shot. I got CP 17 days later. It can happen!

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#4 of 6 Old 08-04-2003, 02:36 PM

Yes you can. Sometimes a recently vaccinated person will develop a few pox -if you come in contact with those pox -or more specifically the fluid in them, you can contract chickenpox.
Hope that helps.
Karin
#5 of 6 Old 08-04-2003, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

shellbean91...when I was pregnant they tested me to see if I had the antibodies for chicken pox and it came up negative...

Is this the same as a titre??
#6 of 6 Old 08-04-2003, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a thread that I started awhile ago that has some info you might find helpful: http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...hlight=chicken

I too haven't had chicken pox, and don't really see the point of giving this vax to a child, since chicken pox is a mild illness for a child, but wondered if it might be a good idea to get myself vaxed since my reaction would be much worse if I got chicken pox. Frogertgrl had some good info for me about how the vax company says anybody who gets this vax shouldn't be around infants, or pregnant moms who haven't had it, ect... so I'd say that yes, you can get it from the vax.

I too still need to get a titre test... hopefully I already had the pox when I was very small and it was so mild my parents didn't notice. It'd be SO much easier then!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page