We thought dd had measles! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-04-2003, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...but it was probably roseola.

I have had a busy week, so I haven't been able to research stuff too much, but I will now that I have the chance (I just had company leave that had been here a week).

My 14 month old dd had a fever for a few days that got up to 103.4 at one point, then it went away (my hubby did take her in to make sure it wasn't an ear infection, nope). Two days later she got a rash on her head and down her torso. It didn't go any further than that. We took her in and the doctor did a measles blood test and gave a schpeel on finishing her vaccines (hasn't had any since 6 months), and the blood test came back negative, and the rash cleared up in a few days. No harm done.

I was so proud that my hubby even stood up for us that were researching vaccines more and may not do anymore! We ended up seeing another doctor instead of our ped since his day was full, so we ended up with a condesending jerk. When my hubby went back in to have dd looked at again, he thought he'd talk to the "sensable husband" to talk some sense into the wife, : and he said were still researching stuff since we've learned vaccines may have caused our dd's diabetes. That left the doctor and I guess, but my hubby didn't care. He left with his head held high, and not swayed by the a@#hole we had to have our dd see.

I'm so proud!! And my dd is just fine! She lived... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-05-2003, 01:47 AM

I'm glad your dd is doing well.

Funny thing about immune systems, they've been known to work from time to time.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It always makes me when I read about husbands backing their wives decisions to vax. Good for him.

#3 of 5 Old 08-05-2003, 10:56 AM

DD had roseola, it is related to measles from what I know. Funny thing, in our case, she had just a month or so earlier got the MMR shot...Hmmm...NONE of the other kids around her seemed to get it... (I vaxed her until age 4-w/o a question-looking back I wonder. Poor kid was exposed to so much due to environment and vaccines...)
#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2003, 11:51 AM

Roseola isn't related to measles. It's in the herpes family (HHV-6 & 7) like CMV & Epstein-Barr. Nearly all of us are exposed as children & are carriers whether we develop the disease or not. Mostly it hides, but when we get run down & our immune system is suppressed (like after MMR) it can wake up.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/pphb-dgspsp/p...6s4/index.html
#5 of 5 Old 08-06-2003, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Funny thing about immune systems, they've been known to work from time to time.
:LOL

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page