Vaccine waiver questions, please help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-05-2003, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter will be starting pre-school part time either in Sept. or next January. We live in Oregon. I assume because she's going to a school (Montessori) it will mean she'll need to have all the vaccines on the schedule up to her age, or a waiver? She's 2.5 and has not had any vax. However, I'm worried about getting the waiver b/c (hypothetical) what happens if she steps on a rusty nail and I decide she needs a tetanus shot? Do I then have to backfill all the vax she's "missed" to that point because I'll no longer fit the criteria for being philosophically opposed? Or would a tetanus toxoid administration in the emergency room fall under the umbrella of treatment rather than immunization? What about when I have another child, will my philosophical opposition carry to that child, as well?

I am really angry that I feel disallowed from selectively vaccinating. I'm not sure whether I never ever want to give any vax whatsoever to DD, but I feel like with the waiver I'll be signing away any choice in the matter. My mother suggested getting the waiver and then doing whatever I wanted, because, "how will they know?" I feel very uncomfortable with that approach. I feel uncomfortable with any of the other options I'm given, too. Any info or insight on this would be much appreciated.

Carol
#2 of 7 Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 AM

First off you can not give the tetanus vaccine after an injury to provide protection against that injury.You can get the TIG(pooled blood product providing temp. immunity),and some doctors will give a tatanus vaccine for *future* protection. There are some parents who claim a religious exemption and then continue to vaccinate.If you plan to do the tetanus vaccine after injury why not just start now and give 3 doses,then claim your exemption?

I don't recall your state laws,but the philosophical one does allow you to be selective,and with religious it is usually all or nothing.

sara
#3 of 7 Old 08-06-2003, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reading my post, Sara. I don't really want to give any tetanus immunization to DD because the only mercury-free one I'm aware of is the DTaP. I am loathe to give DD the acellular pertussis portion of DTaP, much less any trivalent vax, much less the whole series you're supposed to give (not sure if it's 3 or 5 DTaP shots but I believe it's a lot). I just hypothetically wondered what would happen if I gave DD the TIG but claimed to be opposed to all vax. I guess I'm wondering if TIG is considered a vax.

Maybe I should figure out which vaxes I would not consider doing and try to find a common property to which I am philosophically opposed. Plus my daughter is allergic to at least one ingredient common in vaccines (eggs) so that is what I believe is a very legitimate reason I've really worried about her having a bad reaction to those shots.

However, if I call out the thing(s) to which I AM opposed, and it means I am NOT opposed to certain other vax, theoretically wouldn't I need to give DD all those vaxes to which I am not opposed?

Carol
#4 of 7 Old 08-06-2003, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
there is so much good tetanus info in here:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=43600

including how to take care of a wound.

you might be surprised.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#5 of 7 Old 08-12-2003, 03:48 AM

Carol, while I appreciate all of your concerns, I really think you are stressing your self out over "what-if's". I think, for now, you should just be concerned with your decision not to vaccinate at all, submit your exemption, and deal with the future decisions when & if they come up. You have a lot going on right now with DD entering school, worrying about the submission of exemption and whatever else you have going on in your life. Take a deep breath and slow down, Mommy. Everything will work out!
#6 of 7 Old 08-12-2003, 09:42 AM

My dd just started preschool at a daycare across the street.No problems at all.And so far no calls/issues with the govt. preschool(headstart) that starts at the end of this month.All I put in my letter was not vaccinating for good cause including religious convictions.Eseentially what the law wording was.
Sara
Sara
#7 of 7 Old 08-13-2003, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I was definitely stressing out too much over it; I talked to the school and apparently they have a form where you can list what vax your child has or check a box that says you take the exemption from vax-ing. Doesn't exactly solve my dilemma of not knowing if I maybe want to do some vaccinations at some point in my child's life, but at least it will be easy to "check here" and get on with it.

I've been particularly stressed about Tetanus lately b/c we're in the process of building a new house and there are literally hundreds of nails lying about on the property and DD insists on wandering about. Luckily the house is almost done. I don't want the DTaP for DD right now, and I know that tetanus is exceedingly rare and so on, but it's definitely a little daunting to have your child walking outdoors on a bed of 5-inch long nails!

Thanks again!

Carol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page