flu shot shedding?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
::::
Literally EVERYWHERE I went yesterday there was a flu shot clinic going on! Pharmacy, Cost Co, grocery store, old folks home, another grocery store...

:

It looked like the clinics were all giving the injection form, not the nasal spray. I know with the spray there's shedding from drippage (eww) and whatnot. What about the injection?

I feel like I'm covered in germs now. I was going to go visit Dp's mom who is having chemo and is really weakened from it but I was so worried I was exposed to the flu vax. I skipped the visit...

And everyone in like was talking about how happy they are that they aren't getting the flu this year. Oh, and there was NO regulation of who was getting the vax. There were babies, really old folks, and everyone in between.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post
I feel like I'm covered in germs now. I was going to go visit Dp's mom who is having chemo and is really weakened from it but I was so worried I was exposed to the flu vax. I skipped the visit...
You are covered in germs. But there was no reason to skip the visit since the flu vax does not shed.

Quote:
And everyone in like was talking about how happy they are that they aren't getting the flu this year. Oh, and there was NO regulation of who was getting the vax. There were babies, really old folks, and everyone in between.

I've seen that also.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM

No shedding from the shot, just the mist.

And I can't stand all the "get your life saving vax here!" junk, either...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM

I felt sort of creepy crawling after exposure to a vax clinic too!!! But I knew it was all shots and not mist going on. The mist must cost more and is not as popular or just too dangerous in public spaces were a chemo recipient might be shopping, or other immuno compromised person is.

The weather.com site had a flu link!!! It will tell you if your state has reported cases of the flu -- FL is the highest and it's from October... A few other states have a few cases. Why FL??? All those old folks didn't go get their vaxes???
Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMariposa View Post
Why FL???
It's an interesting question. Nobody knows. If you follow the CDC's flu site closely from one year to the next, you'll see similarities in the pattern of spread. It's not unusual to see it start "in the corners", which suggests that the virus is being introduced from other countries through ports of entry -- but if you dig into the science being done by those investigating the detailed mechanics of influenza spread, you'll see that things are not necessarily quite that simple. Fascinating stuff, really.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymanic View Post
It's not unusual to see it start "in the corners", which suggests that the virus is being introduced from other countries through ports of entry -- .
What does "in the corners" have to do with "points of entry"?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 PM

33 Years and I have never caught the flu :
Worked in the public health sector for 6 years and never caught the flu :

Earlier this year while I was pregnant at my obgyns office, the nurse came in with a needle and when I asked what it was for she said it was the flu shot. I told her No thanks.
I thought it was amazingly presumptious of her, but after seeing half the nation lining up in grocery stores and the like, who could blame her for thinking that way?
She probably thought I should be so thankful to be getting it done in the comfort of a doctors office
(It was after this - and my discussion with ob about Rhogham which you wouldnt believe! - I ran out of there and decided to go midwife and birthing center route)

I really believe that I have evaded flu BECAUSE I never exposed myself to the shot. I always thought that if I ever got the flu shot, I would end up getting flu every year!! That was just an instinct Ive had for years, before I even started researching vaxes in general.

User Tag List