mama vs. ped story to share - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-05-2003, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I just have to share what our ped's office did today...
I called to cancel an appointment for the DTaP shot. I keep putting it off! This is the second time I've cancelled.
Well, the nurse got on the phone and told me the dr was concerned about the growth of my dd's head. She thinks it may be growing abnormally. The nurse said "We won't push you to vax, please don't let that stand in the way of seeking good medical care for your daughter."
So, I got nervous and decide to keep the appointment. She is my first and only 5 months old. Our regular ped is on vacation, so we see her partner. She comes in checks out the babe in 5 min. and tells me "not to worry, everything is fine... NOW about those vaxes...." aaargh! I've been ambushed!
I tell her, I am researching because I want to make the best decisions for my child's health. We went back and forth... then,
She turns to me and says "Well, instead of trying to make all these big decisions for your daughter, you should just accept the fact that there are smarter people than you out there working on this... and you should do what they tell you. I'd let the CDC tell me what to do"

Those were her exact words! Then she walked right out of the room. I couldn't believe it! I gathered up our stuff and left. When I got home I called our health insurance and filed for a new doctor. I think I'll call and leave a complaint at the other office too.

anyway, I just had to share that. Imagine!
#2 of 9 Old 08-06-2003, 12:36 AM

Wow!

You know, in a way it was nice of her to make it so painfully obvious that she is the wrong doctor for your child. Saved you and your kid a lot of time, money, and possibly anguish.

I do feel sorry for other patients whose parents may not be as well-informed or have access to the kind of info that you do.
#3 of 9 Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

thanks groundhog!
I was already looking for a new ped.... this just made it happen faster. She had a lot of nerve!
I agree, it's sad that more people don't look for (or have access to)alternative sources of info... to balance out what's spoonfed to us by the mainstream media and ways of thinking.
It's even sadder that people blindly trust the systems that are supposed to be in place to protect us...and people get hurt. It's aweful that we can't simply trust them to have our best interest at heart.

BTW, I double posted this by mistake, the other post has more replies... so this one might get deleted. I'm not sure, but wanted to let you know in case it disappears. Sorry about that!
#4 of 9 Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 PM

Yeah ... I was working my way up from the bottom of the thread list and had already posted when I saw this one. I figured it would be deleted already.

I'll just let it fade into oblivion (though now that it has four posts total, perhaps it won't be deleted!)

And it IS sad that people can't necessarily trust those we are led to trust...

Here's to being an informed consumer...
#5 of 9 Old 08-06-2003, 11:28 PM

I worked in a ped.'s office for a while, and he would not take "quacks" who did not vaccinate.
I think the whole entire time I worked there only one mother selectively vaxed... that is, she didn't say "no" to any of the vaccines, but she didn't want more than two shots given at a time. And the ped. thought she was a quack, too!
#6 of 9 Old 08-07-2003, 12:17 AM

You should not have gone alone. You should have had a support person with you to just witness the arrogance of that twit.

I hope you file a complaint, and restate the state law in your complaint. You have rights. Assert them!

BTW, the CDC will not care for your dear child if he/she is damaged by the shot(s). Nor will that arrogant twit.

You will. So make the decision that you can and will live with.
#7 of 9 Old 08-07-2003, 03:40 AM

Lots and LOTS of "smart" people have been horribly wrong too!

If a doc had said that to me I'd of screamed the place down! how rude and conscending!
#8 of 9 Old 08-07-2003, 03:44 AM

hipmamato1:

I just want to say that ped is a horse's ass. And her style is about as appealing as a goosestep boot.

I think you are brave to take her on and brilliant to dump her.
Your daughter deserves more than that kind of treatment.

My own doctor never said such to me. He is probably in his 70's. And he has seen a lot. And he said we really don't need many. He made a pitch for Hib and pertussis when dc was little. And now that son is older he seems to be more about tetanus.

but he just really didn't get all worked up about mmr or prevnar the others... and even though we have skipped all vaxes he still asks and I say "still delaying" and that is that.

I can't imagine him insulting me like that one you had to deal with...arghhh.... you are a great mom for not taking that sh**t.

I think we all will have to be strong at varioius times for the sake our children...and what starts now can only be improved upon years from now....

think of all the moms who cave now... they have quite a learning curve in front of them.

You have already proved you are ahead of the curve.

congrats.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#9 of 9 Old 08-07-2003, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hipmamato1

I tell her, I am researching because I want to make the best decisions for my child's health. We went back and forth... then,
She turns to me and says "Well, instead of trying to make all these big decisions for your daughter, you should just accept the fact that there are smarter people than you out there working on this... and you should do what they tell you. I'd let the CDC tell me what to do"

This statement really bothers me. So, is this doctor saying that you are not smart? Who the h*** is she to tell you who is smarter than you?

What an a##!

File a BIG complaint with your State Board for unprofessional conduct. They will not do anything, but she will have it in her file.

File another BIG complaint with your insurance company. They will not do anything either, but the complaint should be put in her file.

And write another BIG complaint to the big owner of the pediatric practice and let them know she is the reason WHY you will never return.

But get your records first. You don't want them all 'doctored' up.

Conduct like this should not go unpunished.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page