why space? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-05-2003, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our one year old dd is so far unvaxed. My parents live in central Africa and I feel that it is important for my dd that we visit them there, but we have not been yet because of the vax issue.
Basically, me and my partner have decided to definitely give the polio and possibly diptheria and tetanus vaccines. My doctor is very supportive of our selective vaccinations ( he actually reccommends against pertussis and MMR to his clients). But when I requested that the vaccines be given seperately, he said that when you give vaccines seperately, you essentially just prolong the agony. Dd would be dealing with reactions every couple of weeks rather than every couple of months.
Can anybody give me information about this and let me know whether spacing out the shots is really important?

Thanks
Jessica
#2 of 2 Old 08-06-2003, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really have an unequivocal answer for you but my gut tells me to space them to give my 10 mo dd's immune system time to deal with each invasion. I would rather have her deal with a shot more often for the vaxes I select but far enough apart where she has a chance to fight the invaders rather than heap a whole lot onto her system at once and possibly overload her immune system. I can't give you scientific facts, it just makes a lot of common sense to me (IMHO)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page