Book suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2003, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you give me some suggestions for books I can get dealing with the risk vs. benefits of vaxing? I'm gathering information to try to convince DH and to try to build my knowledge base before I see the ped next time. TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2003, 12:12 PM

I have two books that I thought were very good, and gave very clear explanations to help assess the risk (side effects) vs. benefit (rates of disease) question.

"The Vaccine Guide: Risks and Benefits for Children and Adults" by Randall Neustaedter

"What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave

I think the Neustaedter book was better info on vaxes, rates, etc., but the Cave book also outlines good "how do WE make this decision for OUR family" questions, and provides an alternate vaccine schedule if you do choose to delay or split up vaxing.

Other than these two books, the Internet and MDC have been the best sources of information for me.
#3 of 4 Old 08-06-2003, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
this may be helpful:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=57794

good luck researching

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#4 of 4 Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 PM

I like Stephanie Cave's book and I really liked "Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide" by Aviva Jill Romm. (It's available at Powells.com, which you can access from a link on the right side of the Mothering home page. I believe a percentage of the proceeds goes to Mothering if you access Powells' site that way.)

Romm's book is a "heavier" read, but I liked it nonetheless. It has tons of info about the vaccines as well as the diseases. It's not so scientific that a regular person would be lost, it's just incredibly detailed. For that reason, I use the book as a reference often when I have a vax or disease question. Romm's book also offers suggestions for minimizing vaccine reactions (Cave's book does this, too, but Romm's includes more options, like homeopathy). Romm is an herbalist and a midwife by profession.

Carol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page