Recommending Prevnar for a 3-year-old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS had a checkup today. At the very end, the doc mentioned that he noticed we didn’t vax. He told me he wasn’t going to hassle me about it, because it’s my right not to vax, but that he was required to say that they highly recommend vaccination, lots of diseases almost gone, blah blah blah.

Anyway, after all that, he mentioned that he highly recommended at least Prevnar. I checked, and it said Prevnar was recommended for all children under 2. From 24-59 months, it’s only recommended for those at high risk of contracting pneumococcal infections, which DS certainly isn’t. DS is about to turn 3 – why would the ped specifically mention recommending Prevnar?

I have to say, this is the best ped we’ve seen at this hospital. He didn’t touch DS’s foreskin or act like it was “bad” that he was intact (see my thread in CAC), he made his vax speech quickly and didn’t hassle me. When I said no thank you, he dropped the issue altogether, no badgering or guilt trips. It kind of sucks that we finally get a decent ped and we’re about to move!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd start by google news'ing' 'prevnar and staph' and go from there
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM

ugh.....because he has no idea what he is talking about? i dont vaccinate, but if i did selectively, prevnar would be one of the first that i would cross of the list. Its just making people resistant to antibiotics and now this whole MRSA thing.....wow. no way in hell. Its replacing one strain of bacteria with another.

DS 5-11-06
Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe he was thinking of the MRSA thing? Or that DS is younger than he actually is? DS is really tiny for his age.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Maybe he was thinking of the MRSA thing? Or that DS is younger than he actually is? DS is really tiny for his age.

MRSA is happening BECAUSE OF PREVNAR. you need to avoid prevnar.

DS 5-11-06
Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
im out of the loop on this one. whats the scoop?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Because he had to mention at least one vaccine and that one came to mind.

Funny!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't worry, DS didn't get any vaxes and he won't be.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesMcPopMe View Post
im out of the loop on this one. whats the scoop?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=574250
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, MRSA and CA-MRSA were around long before the introduction of Prevnar and are a result of mutational events exacerbated by antibiotic use and abuse.

SM
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM

It's been said before, it seems each pedi has their "pet" vax favorite, for some it's Prevnar other's it's HIB, my pedi's is Tetanus.

Every time we're in there (1X per year for a check-up), "you know, if XYZ had a deep puncture wound or gash we would require them to have the immuglobin tetanus and there would be no objection allowed" Knodding and smiling.:

Well, at least this pedi knows about the immuglobin! But this one didn't know about Tetanus available in a single vax for those over the age of 7, I let them figure it out though when I asked, just to see what they would come up with.

But our pedi is not resident at our local hospital where we would seek ER care, so I'm not worried.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
A rare gem of civilized discussion, from about a year ago.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Mom View Post
No, MRSA and CA-MRSA were around long before the introduction of Prevnar and are a result of mutational events exacerbated by antibiotic use and abuse.

SM
Have you seen this?

Quote:
If the association is causal and acquisition of S. pneumoniae eradicates S. aureus carriage, then use of pneumococcal vaccines may eliminate the “protective” effect of S. pneumoniae against S. aureus carriage and an increase in S. aureus carriage will follow. Increased S. aureus otitis media has been observed among vaccinees in a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine randomized trial (23). Whether the current increase in severe community-acquired S. aureus infections, including methicillin-resistant S. aureus (6), is partially caused by the recent introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine is yet to be determined.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/292/6/716
Quote:
Pneumococcal conjugate vaccines
reduce nasopharyngeal carriage of vaccine-
type S pneumoniae. Our finding of
an inverse relationship between vaccinetype
S pneumoniae and S aureus may imply
an upcoming shift, not only toward
nonvaccine S pneumoniae serotypes17 but

also toward higher S aureus carriage rates
in children. This would be particularly
disturbing in light of the emergence of
community-associated methicillinresistant
S aureus
5,6,18 This possibility is
supported by a recent report of an increased
rate of S aureus culturepositive
draining ears in vaccinated children
compared with controls.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:

SM
Do you disagree with the studies MK has been posting about Prevnar and staph in the thread referenced above?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:

SM
MRSA is because Dr's are giving out way too many antibiotics. Some Dr's offices give out antibiotics like candy. The bacteria need to survive, so they mutate (survival of the fittest).

I don't know why your pediatrician suggested the Prevnar. They should have know the proper age ranges for it.

*This is my opinion and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure anything. When in doubt, always get a second opinion...or third.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJenn View Post
MRSA is because Dr's are giving out way too many antibiotics. Some Dr's offices give out antibiotics like candy. The bacteria need to survive, so they mutate (survival of the fittest).

Right...that's where the "MR" genes come from. But since pneumo and staph compete for "space" in people, when you remove some pneumo, you get more staph. There's nothing keeping the increase in staph from having the "MR" genes, and really, since the staph might be "denser" then, they're able to exchange information (like how to survive antibiotics) via plasmids more easily, probably.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
Do you disagree with the studies MK has been posting about Prevnar and staph in the thread referenced above?
Oh no, I am well aware of the effects that mass administration of Prevnar has which was why I revised my stance on the use of Prevnar. I was merely refuting the statement that Prevnar was responsible for MRSA which is not so. Prevnar may or may not be responsible for the increases seen in MRSA and CA-MRSA for the serotypes that Prevnar covers had picked up antibiotic-resistant gene cassettes or plasmids and once they are there, it is a Pandora's Box and they have been around for a long time.

SM
Old 11-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Oooh..ok. I agree.
Prevnar didn't "create" MRSA, but it could be making the situation worse. It's probably making the situation worse, really.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:27 PM

tuning in late - this is what I thought too... here we have two separate problems converging: over-use of antibiotics and serotype replacement. definitely room for both theories on this one.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Oh no, I am well aware of the effects that mass administration of Prevnar has which was why I revised my stance on the use of Prevnar. I was merely refuting the statement that Prevnar was responsible for MRSA which is not so. Prevnar may or may not be responsible for the increases seen in MRSA and CA-MRSA for the serotypes that Prevnar covers had picked up antibiotic-resistant gene cassettes or plasmids and once they are there, it is a Pandora's Box and they have been around for a long time.

SM
Thanks for clarifying
Old 11-16-2007, 02:20 AM

I didnt mean prevnar created mrsa. i realize it has been around for a long time.....
Prevnar is making the mrsa situation much worse.

DS 5-11-06

User Tag List