Did you know that Vaccines work 100% of the time?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sick of my job.....so so so sick of the mainstream pediatric community.

I am a medical assistant in busy pediatrics office and you ladies will not belive what happened today!?!!!

I walked in from lunch to a waiting room full of people and out of a 15 year old girl i hear "Cough...WHOOP...cough cough...WHOOP." i asked her who she was seeing and then immediatly brought her into a room.

The girl had been seen by 4 different doctors in the last 2 weeks for a cough that has lasted 3 weeks. One doctor ordered a chest x-ray (negative), one ran a step sceen and culture (negative), one put her on a z-pack (for what, i dont know), and one diagnosed her with croup....AND each and EVERY doctor wrote "Pt. was boostered for pertussis 1 year ago."

I mentioned to the doctor who she saw today that "boy that sounds like whooping cough" and she said "No, she just had a booster and had all of her DTAP's on time as a baby, its probably psychological."

Honestly i wanted to go into the room and tell the parents to demand a pertussis culture, but i cant...i would most certainly get fired. I wish i could do something - but then again is there anything medically that can even be done if it is whooping cough?

-Erin
#2 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 AM

I got pertussis as a teen adn had the same problem. Not a single dr believed it. It was always something else. Finally after 4 weeks a dr looked at me and said "well obviously she has whooping cough." Did the culture and sure enough. I don't remember him giving me anything, but by then I was really starting to recover anyway. I dont' know in a healthy teen that there is anything to do medically, but it needs to be reported. That is why the rates are so skewed.
#3 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:43 AM

If she'd taken a Z-pack already then a culture wouldn't probably grow it out anyhow. But culture confirmation isn't even necessary if it meets the clinical case definition.
#4 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
mentioned to the doctor who she saw today that "boy that sounds like whooping cough" and she said "No, she just had a booster and had all of her DTAP's on time as a baby, its probably psychological."
Oh criminey! DTAP's as a baby, okay, that immunity wears off by the time it's booster time so THAT really make no difference. Psychological? She's just mentally imagining that she has a whoop?!? Wow, how do you, OP, do it? How do you stay sane in such a blatantly frightening atmosphere?

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#5 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
What is yucky is that this sort of attitude spreads pertussis far and wide. Back before there was a vaccine a bet people at least tried not spread it around.
#6 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
What is yucky is that this sort of attitude spreads pertussis far and wide. Back before there was a vaccine a bet people at least tried not spread it around.
That is what sucks the most. The denial/indoctrination is so deep some doctors can't even diagnose the obvious anymore.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#7 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I agree with that! She should be told to stay home.
#8 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
That is what sucks the most. The denial/indoctrination is so deep some doctors can't even diagnose the obvious anymore.

And if a doctor doesn't diagnose it, it doesn't exisit (or get reported) and magic no pertussis cases :.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So is this why the vaxes result in a reduced number of reported cases of pertussis?

I'm sure if she'd declined the vax they would have checked for it at the slightest hint of a cough!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#10 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
The denial/indoctrination is so deep some doctors can't even diagnose the obvious anymore.
Right! That is why we don't go to a doctor for sickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
So is this why the vaxes result in a reduced number of reported cases of pertussis?

I'm sure if she'd declined the vax they would have checked for it at the slightest hint of a cough!

Quote:
She should be told to stay home.
She isn't contagious after 21 days. The cough will last ca 100 days.

Someone ought to make an anonymous phone call and tell her parents that she most likely has wc and ought to take large doses of Vita C. That is the only thing that help.
#11 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 PM

That's truly scary- not shocking unfortunately, but scary.
#12 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
"No, she just had a booster and had all of her DTAP's on time as a baby, its probably psychological."
I'm not shocked the doc refused to diagnose it - but to label it as psychological is . These doctors are not practicing medicine - they are big pharma's foot soldiers. :
#13 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Sandals View Post
I'm not shocked the doc refused to diagnose it - but to label it as psychological is . These doctors are not practicing medicine - they are big pharma's foot soldiers. :
The whole "it's psychological" diagnosis is nearly always the default when the doctor either is too lazy or unwilling to figure it out, is upset that his/her original diagnosis wasn't correct, or can't figure it out. : I can't tell you how many times I've heard this in my life despite having very concerning and very real physical symptoms that aren't getting better and in fact are getting worse. It's absolute insanity.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#14 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 02:56 PM

So, does this happen with all VPDs? Do doctors refuse to diagnose measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, pertussis, etc all because the child/children are vaxed?? How common is this?? Is this why thep rates for vpd have declined soo dramaticl??
#15 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM

I'm not sure how common this is, but it seems to be occurring more often than we are aware of. It's terrible, because it really does everyone a dis-service.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#16 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
So, does this happen with all VPDs? Do doctors refuse to diagnose measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, pertussis, etc all because the child/children are vaxed?? How common is this?? Is this why thep rates for vpd have declined soo dramaticl??
a bit left of your question, but: as soon as the cp vaccine was mandated doctors were no longer required to notify the CDC of cases. guess they didn't really want to know if the vax was working or not.
#17 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 PM

huh. super surprising that numbers have dropped so dramaticly since then huh??
#18 of 19 Old 12-05-2007, 12:49 AM

This happened to my BIL and he hadn't even had one shot yet. The doctors just refused to believe that he had whooping cough.
#19 of 19 Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Ugh don't you love it? Then people like that turn around and say that those who don't vax are the reason for these diseases spreading instead of looking at the medical community refusing to believe a vax could fail. At least you did the smart thing and got her out of a crowded waiting room. I wonder how many other people had been in contact with her since she's seen other doctors and been for other tests!?!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page