Free flu vax at dd's school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not happy right now : For the first time since dd has been in school, pre k she is now in 1st, they are going to be giving out free flu vax and the flu mist. The vax is bad enough but the flu mist practicaly guarentee's that my poor dd is going to get the flu : She stays sick all the time anyway because of the meds she has to take for her asthma.And if she gets sick then me and ds will to.

I put on the release a big NO!! in red magic marker and dh called the school nurse who happens to be his cousin and asked her to make sure dd dosnt get the vax or the mist. I of course will speak to her teacher in the morning and tell her that dd isnt to have it.

Even if dd didnt have asthma and a egg allergy that makes it dangerous for her to get the vax I wouldnt want her to get it any way. I have a religous exemption on file at the school as well.

Odds are very high that the day they will be doing this I will keep dd home because I just dont trust them really mistakes happen and my dd would be the one to pay the price. :

I dont know why all the sudden they decided to do this. I was happy I didnt have to worry about it before now. Anyway more of a vent than anything I guess.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#2 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 AM

We're a germ phobic, vax happy, better living through chemistry society, and frankly it drives me bonkers.

Reason #lost count why we hs. I agree, keep her home for that day, and hope nobody gets her sick...even though the chances of that happening is very high.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#3 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM

I think that you should keep her home that day, and a few days after that. I know that it is hard for kids to "catch up", however I would rather keep her home WELL than keep her home and severly sick.

Hugs and tons of antibiody's to you and family!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#4 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

I would keep her home that whole week but with the absentee rules here it makes it hard. She can only miss 12 days a year either excused or unexcused and she fails. She has already missed 4 due to illness and there are many more months to go yet

5 unexcused absences in a row means a court date as well.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I would keep her home that whole week but with the absentee rules here it makes it hard. She can only miss 12 days a year either excused or unexcused and she fails. She has already missed 4 due to illness and there are many more months to go yet

Yep, we had that issue too at dsteen's old school. It's very irritating how they like to dictate how we care for our children, even down to how many days they can miss for being ill, or in this case, prevention of illness.

As a child I was always sick, often with strep (we all know how long that can last), if the same rules applied to my education as they do now, we may have had a better home life in foster care They'd just send home the weeks worth of lessons for me to work on at home, simple. I did them and stayed up with the class and even a bit ahead, 'cause I was bored at home all alone w/o tv and I'd read all the books many times over, so I'd move ahead in the texts.

Hope she stays healthy.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#6 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I know that would be difficult to deal with, but with her medical issues it is prudent. Would your dr write a letter in support? I would take a lawyer to the court date. Perhaps have a lawyer call the school board ahead of the court date and 'discuss' them changing those absences to excused? Call the media? Congressmen? Govenor? I know the last ones seem extreme, but I would be great if we could get some attention on the fact that parents can be brought to court for keeping their sick or medically 'fragile' children home.

I wonder if there is an activist group addressing this issue?

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

What??? I had no idea you could fail for being sick : Is this every state? I just moved to the states a year ago and the more stupid laws I here, the more I want to leave!
#8 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Since the flu mist sheds, I'd probably keep her out of school the day they're administering it, and possibly several days afterwards as well.

ETA: holy crap! They'll fail a FIRST GRADER for too many illness-related abscences? My son's school tells us repeatedly to keep kids home when they're sick to keep their classmates healthy! Abscences didn't directly affect my grades until high school, and even then only in science if I missed labs or in PE.

Is homeschooling an option for you?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM

Arrange independant study for a week or two, then she counts as being in attendance instead of absent. The school should be happy to cooperate because they'll get the money for her as though she was there.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#10 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM

I agree that it might be a smart idea to keep her home that day.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#11 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
What??? I had no idea you could fail for being sick : Is this every state? I just moved to the states a year ago and the more stupid laws I here, the more I want to leave!
No it is NOT in every state. My kids have gone to schools in many different districts in California and Oregon and we have never had any such problem. I have only had calls from the principal with too many tardies. DD1 had something like 32 one trimester. Generally they are less than 5 minutes. It was basically a please try harder to get them to school on time. OK.. I will try but I wont promise. DD2 had something like 24 this last trimester. I have to poke them with a cattle prod to get them ready in the mornings.

For the OP I too would keep my child home. I would also contact the school district to let them know WHY, but then again, this is Oregon and I don't have to worry about people thinking I am crazy for not vaxing.
#12 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 PM

uggh..."FluMist recipients should avoid close contact with immunocompromised individuals for at least 21 days". This is from the flumist insert!!!!! Get a copy of the insert and ask the school if they are requiring those who get flumist to stay out of school for three weeks - since obviously there are those in the school with immune issues (such as asthma). Bring this to the school. Tell them you will pursue legal action if your daughter gets the flu for their failure to follow the vaccine insert guidelines.
#13 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM

12 days? Seriously? Oh wow, I would have failed many years! I was a sick kid (strep and ear infections), and then as a teen developed migraines....No wonder we live in a sick society. They wont even let you keep your kids at home if they are sick or you go to court! Everything I keep hearing about how public schools have changed since I was a kid (I am 28) it makes me want to homeschool even more! (dh is against it )

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#14 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Arrange independant study for a week or two, then she counts as being in attendance instead of absent. The school should be happy to cooperate because they'll get the money for her as though she was there.
Really? Do have the "reg" from your school/district? I'm interested in how this is worded for someone irl so I can help spread the word that this is a possibility.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#15 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM

THE SCHOOL is bringing this in, so THE SCHOOL should shut up about their own actions causing her to miss school. I'd keep her home as well. Offer to do that school at home thing, if they say no - AGAIN - on them.
Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#16 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM

It's just kind of interesting that one of the big arguments *against* vaccines is what a big money maker they are.... but then when they are totally free, that's bad too. So is it better to charge a bunch of money, or give it away for free? Things to ponder....
#17 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
It's just kind of interesting that one of the big arguments *against* vaccines is what a big money maker they are.... but then when they are totally free, that's bad too. So is it better to charge a bunch of money, or give it away for free? Things to ponder....
there's still a financial gain to someone, even if the vaccines are 'free' to the end consumer.

and i bet it's all part of their marketing scheme as well, so either the "free" vaxes can be written off as a 'donation' or as an 'advertising expense'.
#18 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
No it is NOT in every state. My kids have gone to schools in many different districts in California and Oregon and we have never had any such problem. I have only had calls from the principal with too many tardies. DD1 had something like 32 one trimester. Generally they are less than 5 minutes. It was basically a please try harder to get them to school on time. OK.. I will try but I wont promise. DD2 had something like 24 this last trimester. I have to poke them with a cattle prod to get them ready in the mornings.

For the OP I too would keep my child home. I would also contact the school district to let them know WHY, but then again, this is Oregon and I don't have to worry about people thinking I am crazy for not vaxing.
I'm glad this isn't in every state! To the person who pointed out the 21 day stay home rule, that is a very good point and I would love to see what the principle has to say about that.
#19 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 PM

All viruses shed. People are constantly, constantly shedding viruses of many kinds. The virus in the Flumist is much weakened, weaker than many, many viruses that people around you will be shedding daily. Everything I read says that catching the flu from someone else's Flumist is a *theoretical possibility*, never documented, even in immunocompromised people.

So, keeping a kid out of school for weeks because someone else got Flumist sounds like hysterical overkill to me, unless one had a child so immunocompromised that school or group settings of any kind would be a bad idea.
#20 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Those shots are NOT free. SOMEONE bought them. The school district, the county health department, the state. And you can be sure if they are being paid for by tax money we are still paying for them.
#21 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 04:11 PM

I've never paid for a single shot. Yippee for me!

Of course vaccines should be free. It would be unethical to deny life-saving vaccines to children just because they're poor.

CNM mama.

#22 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
I've never paid for a single shot. Yippee for me!

Of course vaccines should be free. It would be unethical to deny life-saving vaccines to children just because they're poor.
No I paid for them, as did every tax paying citizen on here. Yet my children have no health insurance because I am taxed to pay for free flu shots. Yippee for me.
#23 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Well, paying taxes is part of living in America.

CNM mama.

#24 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

I told her teacher this morning that I will probably keep her home because I will worry all day that they will make a mistake and give her one or the other. With dd's egg allergies the flu shot could very well kill her At the least it would make her very ill.

I was off on the 5 day court thing it is 10 days missed unexcused before court happens. The 12 days and they will fail can be appealed but it is totally up to a attendance committee if they will pass them or not. It is a bit hard to understand the way they have it in her handbook. (This rule applies from K onto 12 so not just 1st grade)

The reason the rules are so stricked now is because of the No Child Left Behind Act. When I was in school if my mom thought I was to sick to go then that was good enough for the school. Dosnt work that way now

That is the main reason that dd stays sick constantly and me and ds with her because parents are afraid to keep their child home when sick. I have sent dd when I knew she would be better off home because of it myself

#25 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I am not happy right now : For the first time since dd has been in school, pre k she is now in 1st, they are going to be giving out free flu vax and the flu mist. The vax is bad enough but the flu mist practicaly guarentee's that my poor dd is going to get the flu : She stays sick all the time anyway because of the meds she has to take for her asthma.And if she gets sick then me and ds will to.

I put on the release a big NO!! in red magic marker and dh called the school nurse who happens to be his cousin and asked her to make sure dd dosnt get the vax or the mist. I of course will speak to her teacher in the morning and tell her that dd isnt to have it.

Even if dd didnt have asthma and a egg allergy that makes it dangerous for her to get the vax I wouldnt want her to get it any way. I have a religous exemption on file at the school as well.

Odds are very high that the day they will be doing this I will keep dd home because I just dont trust them really mistakes happen and my dd would be the one to pay the price. :

I dont know why all the sudden they decided to do this. I was happy I didnt have to worry about it before now. Anyway more of a vent than anything I guess.
Those without health insurance should not be disadvantaged :
#26 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
My point was, your vaccine was not free but rather paid for with tax money. Money that was taken from families and left them unable to pay for health care for the own family.
#27 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Vaccines are never totally free. I do not think that they should be withheld from parents who want them, but cannot afford them. But that still does not make them "totally free."

Quote:
Yes, and the taxes I pay help others less fortunate get the healthcare they need. But their healthcare is still not free.
#28 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky View Post
Those without health insurance should not be disadvantaged :
Here is the problem with that. Those without health insurance that are BELOW some arbitrary number set by the government can get free health care. This health care comes from the tax money collected from my pay check. Money I could use toward health care for my OWN family. However those that are just above this arbitrary number and barely make ends meet cannot afford health insurance. Therefor they are still disadvantaged because they cannot afford to go to the doctor when they are sick and they can't get help because they are not poor enough.

Do you not see what is wrong with this picture?

But I guess that is going off topic. Again the point being; nothing is free. The money is taken off someones back.
#29 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 05:58 PM

To be far, money comes from their paychecks, too (those on the program).

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#30 of 85 Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 PM

Edited because we cross-posted.

IMO we should have universal health care. And about the taxes, you all should look into the Fair Tax.

CNM mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page