would you sign a doctor's form that said this - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my DS's 12 month WBV they gave me a form that just stated that I had been offered vaccines and was refusing them, and that I would not hold the doctor's office responsible if my DS got a VPD. It had a spot for me to fill in the reasons why I was refusing. It did NOT say any of the usual crap about "I am endangering my child's life by refusing vaccines" etc. I signed it and just wrote "religious" on the spot for a reason. Would you have signed? This is the best non-vax-friendly doc in town. She's a family practice doc, not a ped.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 03:42 PM

I'm not sure. It really doesn't sound too bad. And I FOR SURE wouldn't sign the "typical" ones.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelachristin View Post
This is the best non-vax-friendly doc in town. She's a family practice doc...
This is a tough situation.

My first thought was for you to find a more non-vax friendly Dr... are you sure that there are no other options around? Can you drive to another town?

I'd absolutely make sure that there was no other doc around... then I'd ask whether I could NOT sign the form and still not get "fired" by them.

I dunno... I think I'd move...lol... seriously... I can't imagine living in a town without adequate healthcare options.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM

I guess it doesn't sound too bad. Does that just stay with their records and not get forwarded on to anyone?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 PM

It doesn't sound nearly as bad as I expected. Of course, I would have been tempted to write "see vaccine inserts/expedients/media lists" and/or "studies proving vaccine safety..oh, wait..there aren't any!" on the lines for reasons why no vaxes...
Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds perfectly fine to me, except for the part where you are supposed to write your reasons.

I mean, the doctor did offer the vaccinations, and you are refusing them, and you won't blame the doctor if your child gets the diseases. I wouldn't have a problem putting that in writing.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
It doesn't sound nearly as bad as I expected. Of course, I would have been tempted to write "see vaccine inserts/expedients/media lists" and/or "studies proving vaccine safety..oh, wait..there aren't any!" on the lines for reasons why no vaxes...

You're so bad...dirty texan!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM

LOL!! I know...just spreading those germs around (and misinformation, too apparently!)
Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
LOL!! I know...just spreading those germs around (and misinformation, too apparently!)
*sigh* If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times...stop spreading germs & misinformation!

- hoping it works! :

Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 PM

I don't see a compelling reason why not to sign it if it makes your relationship a good one.

Although I don't understand why she even asks to have such a paper?

She must really believe that your child is in more risk for not being vaccinated.

That alone makes we wonder what she would do to your child *if* your child had cp or wc?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I'd sign it, but I also don't get the "reason." part. Why does the dr want a reason? So they can get thier ammo together for later? So your school exemption might be disqualified later?

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 PM

That's why it was good to put down "religious" right away.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
That's why it was good to put down "religious" right away.
that's exactly why I did it. When I saw the spot for reason, I smiled at first and a few other things to write came to mind, but I decided to write "religious" so that it would already be there for my future school exemptions, etc.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 PM

When I was asked to sign "the form" (I'm killing my baby, yada yada yada...), I responded that I'd be happy to sign something like that... just as soon as the ped signed *my* form stating that I have fully disclosed my lengthy list of concerns, extensive family history of vaccine damage, that they reject any connection to my son's potential to react, etc... And that he will take full personal and professional liability for life for any ill effects if I do vaccinate my son.

He looked at me like I was an alien with eight heads... "Of course I can't sign anything that says that!"

So I said, "Then we understand each other perfectly."

It never came up again.

I don't think you will have problems with what you signed.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would feel comfy signing that but not sure what I would write as a reason. I would probably just put "personal beliefs".

I signed that stupid "my kid will die if I don't vaccinate form". I really regret it but I felt pressured by the nurse. I didn't know at the time that you can edit the form. Oh well....live and learn I guess.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 AM

Personally, I would sign it. I know that my doc completely disagrees with me on several issues, so I try to avoid conflict when I can- i.e. when it won't harm my daughter. I don't think that my signature on that piece of paper is going to cause me or my daughter harm down the road.

I have accepted prescriptions for several things, and then thrown them in the trash when I get home, for example...

Just the way it has worked for us...
Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 AM

If it was as simple as that, I would sign it. I also have to sign a form saying that I have been explained all of the potential side effects and ingredients of the vaccines, that I understand what to do in case of an adverse event, and that I know I have the right to refuse, when I go to my daughter's pediatrician in the United States. I sign that, too.

Quote:
I have accepted prescriptions for several things, and then thrown them in the trash when I get home, for example...
Watch out for one thing here. Those prescriptions might contain ingredients that commonly cause allergic reactions, and if your doctor thinks that your kid took them and had no problems, then he or she might also give you poor information about looking for allergic reactions in the future, or the medical records might. Like when you go to the ER or the hospital (for whatever reason) and they ask if you are allergic to "X". I usually write "no KNOWN allergies" and tick "unknown" for a lot of the ingredients. However if your doctor sees that the kid has already had medicine x with no reaction, he is not going to have information he needs if something does go funny.

I am not suggesting that that is at all a reason to TAKE the meds. God knows I have refused a number of things that our peds here and in the US have recommended. I'm just saying- watch for those records re: allergic reactions.

Sorry, don't want to derail the thread, just had to say that.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

User Tag List