new and overwhelmed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-15-2003, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, all.

I'm a momma to dd (18 months) and am preggo due in October. My dd has had all shots on the recommended schedule except for chicken pox and one of the hep shots (I don't remember which one, but her ped said that the chances of her getting it were so rare that she didn't need it). He was the one who also suggested that she not get the chicken pox vax. I haven't done any real research on vaccines. I have seen some things here and there for both sides and it all seems so overwhelming and I don't know where to start and some of it is really scary. Now I'm worried about what to do when our new babe gets here. Where can I start some research without it seeming like too much at first? Or is that even possible? The things I have read are so technical that's it's hard to understand what they are even talking about and it's hard to know who to believe. What are the laws regarding shots? Does my newborn have to have certain shots before leaving the hospital? Or can I refuse it all? Will that put my newborn at risk? I keep thinking of how my daughter is fine...she only had a sore spot whenever she got the vaccines...but I would cry every time they would stick her with needles...usually three or four at one visit. Are there advantages to delayed vaxing?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't know where to start.
#2 of 7 Old 08-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Banned

I just wanted to say that I know how you feel! I'm going through the same thing. So far I've delayed DD's well baby visit 2 months and I'm still researching.

I've been going to the CDC and AAP and checking the severity of the disease and the actual chances of getting it. (Thought it would be best to discredit the necessity of the shot by using the information provided by the folks that push getting the shot).

Anyway, Trabot will probably post this but I wanted to say how helpful it is, so I'll post it too: http://mothering.com/discussions/pri...threadid=57794

I linked to the printable version because it's long and you'll need to print a copy if you want to take it to your local library like I did

As for the delaying vax, I think it's an advantage to know, understand, and agree with any medical procedure before having it done (that includes altering your immune system). You can refuse all vaxs if that is your desire.

Best of luck to you. You're not alone!
#3 of 7 Old 08-15-2003, 04:10 PM

Randall Neustaedter's "The Vaccine Guide"

Mothering's publication: "Vaccines: The issue of our times (or something really close to that-- check the back issues section of a mothering mag.

Start simple, as you read everything falls into place. Remember also that this new understanding has to do with, perhaps, a different view of government than what you currently have.

Unfortunately, the U.S. gov't= corporate america and the MOST profitable industry in america is the DRUG (ie, Pharmaceutical) industry.

My son's recent measles, from which he now has PERMANENT immunity was a piece of cake.

You have the power,

Ray

P.S. Dandelions2, I pulled the following from the "measles for Insider thread" just to make it easier for you to see. I know how confusing these boards are at first, but you do need to do some homework here. My sons recent measles (at 18 months)

Yes, it was a wild-type measles virus...
...caught by my son on an airplane from a sick mother and child--the father seemed alright-- who were close by. My wife overheard the mother say to her husband that she was beginning to see a rash. I wasn't there but when my wife told me I had a good idea-- regardless of what the CDC would like us to believe about the availability of diseases that they vaccinate for-- of what was coming.

The fever began exactly 14 days after exposure. Runny nose--wet coughs (not excessive)--- congestion-- as well We consulted the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC and James F. Balch, M.D. and noticed specifically mention of cod liver oil, and Vit. C with bioflavinoids. Both of which we keep on hand. My son has loved my probiotic yogurt from early on. He is,as well, crazy about a smoothie I make of organic strawberries, mangos, papayas and bananas. Often the yogurt and smoothie go together in a single cup. Apparently bananas have a fiber --inulin -- which promotes the probiotic breeding in the gut. The other fruits have bioflavinoids which enhance the absorption of ascorbic acid (or sometimes calcium ascorbate) in the stomach-- after which (the intestines) it can't be absorbed and is excreted. The C I've been doing for 20 years.

Thanks to Hilary, I now know how significant the cod liver oil was as well-- due to its Vit. A content.

In our house the breastmilk is a given--given and given and given--- to the point that we are going to see a John Pittman, M.D. here in central N.C. (his philosophy works with the body's biochemistry-- not drugs.) to check and make sure that all of the nutrients my wife is putting into our son are not creating any type of deficiency in her body as we begin the process of a second child. I don't know what's going to happen with the breastfeeding as she progresses (the boy is 30 lbs and 36" at 18 mo) through the pregnancy, but my wife will not deny him and he relishes his nursing. I have thought perhaps of using organic, homemade vegetable juices to supply micronutrients, but I'll wait to see what Pittman says.

The rash was a flash (a day and a half), the raised aspect of the bumps really only visible by shining a flashlight across his chest and back. Nothing on his legs or face, no itching, he ate, drank and played normally except for about 5 hours during the height of the fever (103.4) which then was about 103 for about 12 hours.
The rash came 9 days after the onset.

I wish my parents had know what I know when I had my measles in the early 60's. Actually, the only memoryes I have of childhood diseases is being fed crumbs of hamburger when I had mumps.

Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food
(Hippocrates)

#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2003, 11:03 PM

A very simple read is www.*********/vaccines/mendelsohn.html for starters.
I started with the Mothering Mag article that Goodpapa suggests when dd was an infant.
You can refuse all shots at the hospital.
Vitamin K is an IN CASE kind of shot, in case your baby's blood doesn't have the clotting mechanism which most do.
Hep B is contracted thru tainted needles, blood transfusions and sex....So....the risk of these possible problems....seems very rare...and my feelings were that I didn't want my brand new baby to be introduced into this world with a painful prick to her pure skin....just in case......That is my opinion. There is a lot to consider.
The one advantage of delaying vaccinations is to give you time to sift thru all the information and make an informed and educated decision, one not guided by fear.
#5 of 7 Old 08-15-2003, 11:43 PM

Here is a good site too:
http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccine.htm

I would bet that Trabot will post her cheat sheet too.

A good book to start with is "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Vaccinations" by Stephania Cave

"How to Raise a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor" is good too by Robert Mendelsohn....although out of date.

The one by Aviva Jill Romm is supposed to be good too but I haven't read it yet and don't know what the title is.

This is a good site too:
http://www.vaccinationnews.com/default.htm
#6 of 7 Old 08-16-2003, 12:55 AM

Aviva Jill Romm's book is VACCINATIONS -A THOUGHTFUL PARENTS GUIDE
A very easy to understand book that also has great herbal recipes to use if a disease is caught.

Exemptions are different in each state-Calif has all 3 exemptions-medical ,religious & philosophical.

::
momma to 4
#7 of 7 Old 08-16-2003, 01:22 AM

Here's my cheat sheet:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=57794

Mod's have asked me not to print it because it takes up so much space...but the link should work.

All the books that everyone has mentioned are in the cheat sheet.

I just want to reiterate that you don't have to have everything researched and plotted and planned by your baby's first visit.
Take your time. You are going to be in overwhelmed. One baby already at home, new baby, birthing, nursing etc.

Take your time.

re: doctor
All you have to say is, "We're delaying." the end.

And when you are ready then you can start the vaxes or you can continue to delay.

Just breathe. YOu have a lot to read. TAKE YOUR TIME.

hugs

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page