Merck Hib vaccine recall - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
Lots are listed in the link I posted in #14.
Thanks. Looks as though the last shot my daughter got was a contaminated one. Lovely. Ugh.
#62 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
It is on the CDCs webpage. The FDA is probably aware of it, just not actively involved in the recall since it is voluntary. I don't know, but it seems like the FDA still has info about voluntary recalls for other things?

http://cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/recalls...s-12-12-07.htm
Yes, I saw that too. Thanks for posting the link though. I wrote a new post today about my observations in regards to the CDC and other news channels. I like how the CDC is handling this. I guess the FDA perhaps just isn't a key player in this but they should be. Most of the recalls I see the FDA post are voluntary so I'm not sure why. Perhaps they consider it to be the CDC's job.

I agree this is all over the net. I'm glad about that. What I don't like is the culture of our news and how everything else always seems more important than our children's health. Unless it's something China did and then it is top news.

Plus, a lot of the answers we are getting about this recall aren't even answers at all. They really don't answer a lot of things. I get that they are trying to prevent vaccine hysteria but when you all ready have so many people questioning the safety of this country's vaccine program the best thing to do is be transparent and honest. And their answers are anything but that. They are certainly wording them in such a way that you think they are answering the question but it is much like politics. It's hard to get straight answers.

All I can say is that I am thankful for the internet and that we don't have to rely on the typical broadcasted news which is purchased with money and blows wherever the money goes.
#63 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm curious, the children who received contaminated vaccines, when did your child get the vaccine?
#64 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's called spin and damage control.
#65 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
OT. After you take the screen shot, open your photo-editing software. Click "new" to create a new empty canvas. Then hit "paste." This works in photoshop, not sure of other programs... HTH!
I got it to work in the paint program. Thanks!
#66 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM

My child got the contaminated vaccine on Oct. 5th, 2007. Lot number 0436U with VIS Date of 12/16/98.
#67 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
It's called spin and damage control.
Most definitely. And what sucks is that a majority of the population sucks this stuff right up and they just nod their heads and say "Ok, if you say it's safe and there's nothing to worry about then I believe you"

Are you serious? Do you honestly think that Merck would risk a 1.2 million vaccine recall if there wasn't huge potential risk for lawsuits to the company? Precautionary measures my butt. They know something they're not sharing.
#68 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I find it interesting that there seems to be very little talk of the MMR2 vax that Merck recalled as well. That one actually had reports of injuries/reactions, but the HIb that they say has had no reports is getting more press. I hate to think that they might be using the Hib vax to shadow out the MMR2 problems.
OT: What MMR2 problems?
#69 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 05:55 PM

What I've been wanting to find out is how much Merck has in some of these major news stations as far as advertising dollars go. Does anyone know how to find reliable numbers for this? I know the major financial support for these stations come from pharmaceutical companies and I'd be curious to know how much foothold Merck has in say, CNN and the like.
#70 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
OT: What MMR2 problems?
Wow. Try this. I think this is that she was referring to

http://www.pharmalot.com/2007/12/mer...f-hib-vaccine/
#71 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippo View Post

Yep, that's it.

Simplicity, I thought that VIS was the exp. date. Is that not true?

ETA: Pretend that nodding emoticon has a frown.
#72 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Wait....the papers I have look like VIS is vaccine injection site. I am all confused now.

I got it now. It's the Vaccine Information Sheet that was given at the time. It was published in '98. Kind of old hey?
#73 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippo View Post

Did you see this comment?

Quote:
My kids have had the MMR and so have I. It is Mandatory here in NJ for New Mother’s to be tested for the MMR Antibodies, I had none, and wasnt able to leave the hospital until I got the shot. My thinking back then was I didnt want to catch the mumps, and and then pass it along to my husband. And the HIB also sounds familiar.
Unreal.
#74 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM

I remember reading about this happening to a mama here on MDC. She was not 'allowed' to leave the hospital without the MMR. She got it not knowing that she had the right to refuse. It's AMAZING what lengths they will go to to push their poison...

Just think about it...a live shedding vaccine to a nursing mother!! How sick is that?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#75 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I remember reading about this happening to a mama here on MDC. She was not 'allowed' to leave the hospital without the MMR. She got it not knowing that she had the right to refuse. It's AMAZING what lengths they will go to to push their poison...

Just think about it...a live shedding vaccine to a nursing mother!! How sick is that?
It's nothing less than totally irresponsible medicine IMO. I hope there is a special circle of h3ll for docs who push it.
#76 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM

:::

My 18 month old hasn't had a vaccination since 6 months. I decided to go along with the HIB and PC shot this time and then not vaccinate her again. She had the Merk shot on Tuesday. I called her doctor's office and they are not sure on the lot # but they are calling me back in the morning. I am scared to death. I hope nothing bad wil happen to my dd.
#77 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2libby View Post
:::

My 18 month old hasn't had a vaccination since 6 months. I decided to go along with the HIB and PC shot this time and then not vaccinate her again. She had the Merk shot on Tuesday. I called her doctor's office and they are not sure on the lot # but they are calling me back in the morning. I am scared to death. I hope nothing bad wil happen to my dd.
Please try not to stress too much until you know.
#78 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM

We had so many different threads going on about this I merged them together so we can keep up with events as they unfold.
#79 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, the children who received contaminated vaccines, when did your child get the vaccine?
She received it on October 31st, on Long island, NY. My choice to not vax has never been so clear.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#80 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Wait....the papers I have look like VIS is vaccine injection site. I am all confused now.

I got it now. It's the Vaccine Information Sheet that was given at the time. It was published in '98. Kind of old hey?
Yeah,it is kinda old. I was wondering what it was also that's why I posted it. But now I know. Heh
#81 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 PM

This makes me so angry!

Angry that it was found in the money section, angry that they make the issue more about the dreaded shortage than the fact that a bacteria could have been injected into tons of babies, angry for the mamas who now have to worry about their kids getting a contaminated vaccine, just so mad!

Nothing really intelligent to add - just a rant.

I'm off to talk to DH so hopefully "we" can finally decide that we are D-O-N-E with vaxes!
#82 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 10:32 PM

This was a quality control issue. It shows that the evil Merck is doing serious evaluation of its manufacturing process. They found that equipment in a sterile room was contaminated not the actual vaccine. Considering that 14 million doses are given annually and no reports of illness have been reported I'd say that Merck hasn't succeeded in killing all the babies just yet.
I recall batches of spinach being recalled.
I also know that herbal remedies have NO quality control (and are basking pots for bacteria) are freely given out by many people here to their children.
#83 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 PM

Spoke to our doctors office. Asked about the recall and what they knew about it. She said that there was bacteria on the machine that makes/or bottles the vaccine. The bacteria is one of the same sorts of bacteria that would cause something like food poisoning. Said that from what she knew they did not find any in the vaccines themselves. Obviously she's telling me what the company is telling her. She also went on to tell me that the vaccine that was recalled was not given at that doctors office. Of course, I pulled out the BS card and informed her the lot number that was given to my daughter and that yes, they had it and were given it and it should probably be pulled if they still have some. Heh. It's not like I wasn't calling informed already. I knew damn well the lot that my daughter was given was in the recall but I was curious about what they knew.

I did ask them if they have concerns about the vaccine that was given and recalled at a later date would a letter be sent out. She said yes, we'll see I guess. Heh. I love my childrens doctors office. I have no idea if this person was a nurse or who she was. I should have asked. I'll talk with her doctor in a couple weeks when she has an appointment.
#84 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyMom View Post
This was a quality control issue. It shows that the evil Merck is doing serious evaluation of its manufacturing process. They found that equipment in a sterile room was contaminated not the actual vaccine. Considering that 14 million doses are given annually and no reports of illness have been reported I'd say that Merck hasn't succeeded in killing all the babies just yet.
I also know that herbal remedies have NO quality control (and are basking pots for bacteria) are freely given out by many people here to their children.
Well, I totally understand that sometimes things just happen. And possibly at this time they have been lucky not to find anything in the actual vaccines. However, as a parent who has a child that did receive the recalled vaccine I still have concerns and I have every right to have concerns about it. Just as I would anything else that was given to my child and recalled.

"Merck hasn't succeeded in killing all the babies just yet" was just rude and uncalled for.
#85 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyMom View Post
I also do not understand what all the fuss is about. Seems like Merck is doing a good job of catching a minor failure before it became a major issue. The news is all over this, the boards all over the internet are humming, it is an issue that a lot of people are aware of. It is the number one story on google health news and it is an easy story to find on the merck website.

What is all the fuss about? I do not get it!
#86 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 PM

DD got Comvax at 2 months and 5 months. I called our pediatrician's office today and THANK GOD neither one of her shots were from the lot that was recalled. I told the nurse that even though we had made up our minds that we wouldn't be doing anymore vaxes, this cinched the deal. The phone nurse is so great - she said she completely understood. I am officially adding "No Vaxes" to my siggie also!!!
#87 of 132 Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiniumpansy View Post
What is all the fuss about? I do not get it!
I think what all the fuss is about is that they make it MANDATORY to vax your child. People can elective choose what herbs and supplements they want to give their kids. But, if you don't want to vax, or want to selectively vax, you need to jump through special hoops to get an exemption in order to not do this. When you make the choice to give your child an herbal remedy as mentioned by WillyMom, you are making that choice as your child's parent. When you are forced into vaxing (which people in some states are if they are not able to get a religious exemption), then you are not given a choice. The medical decision is made for you. THAT is the big deal. And if they can't even keep contaminants out of the manufacturing plants for vaccines, then what's next? Plus, do you really think that this is the first time that this has happened? It is just the first time they have caught it.
#88 of 132 Old 12-14-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydep View Post
I think what all the fuss is about is that they make it MANDATORY to vax your child. People can elective choose what herbs and supplements they want to give their kids. But, if you don't want to vax, or want to selectively vax, you need to jump through special hoops to get an exemption in order to not do this. When you make the choice to give your child an herbal remedy as mentioned by WillyMom, you are making that choice as your child's parent. When you are forced into vaxing (which people in some states are if they are not able to get a religious exemption), then you are not given a choice. The medical decision is made for you. THAT is the big deal. And if they can't even keep contaminants out of the manufacturing plants for vaccines, then what's next? Plus, do you really think that this is the first time that this has happened? It is just the first time they have caught it.

But nothing happened to any child. And, like someone said previously, there have been far more dangerous recalls. Spinach killed some kids. Spinach! Should we be anti-spinach! At least Merck had the foresight to pull this product BEFORE anything happened. Makes me have more confidence in this company rather than less. They are checking their products for safety and contamination. How many supplement manufacturers are doing this? How many spinach farms are doing this? I mean, people get sick from eating sprouts each year! There are far more important things to get upset about.

I still do not get it!
#89 of 132 Old 12-14-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiniumpansy View Post
But nothing happened to any child.
Isn't that they they were saying for years about SV-40?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#90 of 132 Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Isn't that they they were saying for years about SV-40?
totally different and you know it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page