My name is Mattia, and I've been reading this forum here and there since I first found MDC last year. Here's a little backround on me. My husband and I originally thought that we would just vax like most people, but then I kept reading about all the people who believe that their children have been damaged by vaccines.
So, we decided we would delay the decision until we could be fairly certain we could live with with whatever decision we made . We ended up getting the first HepB vax at Bas' 2 month well visit, because I suddenly felt wishy washy. I felt so sick to my stomach afterward. I told our ped that we were delaying all other vaxes until we were better researched. Then I put the research off, thinking there'd be plenty of time to decide, since we're pretty sure we don't feel comfortable bombarding our young baby's immune system with all those nasty vax toxins. At first our ped was supportive of us delaying his shots until he's atleast two, and was even supportive of us choosing to selectively vax/not vax if that's what we decide. Then he got his own practice, and his insurance rates skyrocketed. Suddenly he was pushing us to get ALL vaxes, even the Prevnar he said he didn't recommend a few months earlier, because of all the bad reactions he's seen.
At first I wondered why he had such a change in heart. I stopped wondering during our last visit, when the receptionist tried to charge us $75 more than usual, because she assumed we were vaxing Bas during his checkup. That, coupled with our Ped's complaints about how his insurance premiums are going through the roof, gave me insight into his motives for suddenly trying to push vaccines on us.
That visit 6 weeks ago made me determined to really research, so I'll know my stuff in the face of all the scary statistics and scare tactics our ped seemed to employ during the last appointment, in order to convince us to begin vaxing Bas immediately. It makes me angry that he supported us before because Bas is breastfeeding, not in daycare, and will most likely be homeschooled... but now those reasons aren't good enough to postpone Bas' vaccinations while I research??? I think maybe he thinks that as I become more knowledgable about this issue, he will not be able to scare me into vaxing Bas just because he wants us to. I tend to be suspicious when others have vested financial gain from issues they "support"... this is no different.
Enough about me. Here's why I'm posting...
First off, could you(any of you) please share your most reputable sources that illustrate the possible dangers vaccinations present for some? I've clicked links here and there over the months, but don't know where to find them now. I'm sure a lot of you have an extensive folder full of bookmarked sources/articles, so please share!
Now, on to my questions for all of you. Especially you, Hilary -- I've read some of your posts, and about how you work with families whose children have been damaged by their vaccinations. You've been on the frontlines yourself, so I would really appreciate your insight.
1) Why do our governments not require that the drug companies make vaccines safer? Or that they do a study(long term, especially) of any sort, that PROVES that vaccines do not put our children at risk for conditions like Autism, ADD, ADHD, IBS, Asthma, a host of other diseases/ailments, and possibly death? What do our governments gain by not requiring the drug companies to make safer more effective vaccines? A friend told me my theories were naive and simplistic. So I'm interested in hearing your theories, and seeing sources that may support them. Especially since I've been accused of being a conspiracy theorist.
2) I realize that cutting corners = better profits for the drug companies. Why don't they make these vaccines safer? Especially when their own children/other family members may be getting these vaccinations? What's in it for them, other than greed(if anything)?
3) What do you say in response to organizations like the CDC, who refute most claims the people who choose to not vaccinate have sometimes made, as "misconceptions", on their website?http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/6mishome.htm
4) What do you say in response to people/health organizations that claim that the ONLY reason some of the population feels comfortable NOT vaxing their children is because MOST people ARE vaxed? That non/selective vaxers benefit from the risk others have assumed by being vaccinated/having their children vaccinated?
5) Do you think a lot of diseases(like small pox and polio) would still be prevelent in much of today's world if not for vaccines? Would you vaccinate your child against these diseases in a world where most didn't vaccinate, if the odds were that your child would contract them?
6) What are your thoughts on herd immunity? Do you feel you are putting others at risk by not having your child vaccinated so that the diseases do not have a chance to mutate? If not, why?
Ok... I think this is a lot to begin with. I would appreciate as many sources/links that support your poisition as possible. I hope some of you are up for this challenge.
I see all these links/sources from folks who believe vaccinations are worth the risks/are not proven
to be risky. I am happy to learn about their position, as it may help me make better decisions... but I need to also see statistic/sources that support the selective/non vaxing position. Especially if I'm going to expect anyone to believe that my BELIEF that vaccines are not safe is grounded in fact, and not just fear.
TIA! I hope to become an active contributor to this forum.