The vaccine pushers - pediatricians. Our visit at doctor's office yesterday. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJenn View Post
Yeah, I just got a letter from Blue Cross stating I wasn't going to get paid "top tier" because not all my patients got their immunizations. (I refuse to give Hep A, prevnar, and rotavirus and I never force my families to get anything. If they are unsure about vaxs, I tell them to go home, do more research, and we can talk about it at the next visit...)

Darn, and I needed a new toaster!
Could you please move to Maryland?
#32 of 42 Old 01-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The insurance companies only want to make money.
Exactly. When DD was little I was in her GP's office and saw a certificate framed on the wall that was an award from the Pharm company for 85% vaxed or something. That was when I started to figure it out.
#33 of 42 Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The insurance companies only want to make money. Any excuse to decrease what they pay out is fine with them. I also get penalized for writing brand name drug, not generics.
The rules for what pharm reps can give out drastically changed about 5 - 10 years ago. They used to give out golf outings, vacations, etc, but the gov't saw that many dr's were getting swayed by the pharm companies and not doing what was right for the patients. Now, they only give out pens (with pharm logo), pads of sticky notes (with Pharm logo) and an occassional dinner (to hear a lecture about something...with the pharm logo).
From what my friend told me, the "best" doctors still get these perks under the table. : It's not as widely done as it was before...but it does still happen.

Although, usually it's done in a more "conference" setting where they meet to slap each other on the back and then enjoy their vacation/golf outing/dinner at the top restaurants.
#34 of 42 Old 01-20-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddoson View Post
Sadly I do think some doctors think it is in the best interest. But I don't see how it could be @ the #s they are giving now.
From my experience, the doctors "believe" what they are told. If you've never seen a pharma rep talk to a doctor about their products, you're missing out! LOL They tout this vax as the next best thing...throw in some incentives (pens, paper, notepads, mousepads, etc, etc, etc) and the docs will listen. It's sad because I think that if the docs REALLY researched the vaxes outside of what they are "sold" on in the speeches, they would probably back off on giving them. However, most docs I've met never research...they just go by what the pharmas tell them...which is why a lot of people hear the same stories from different doctors. It's not the docs experiences you're hearing, but the sales pitch from the pharmas that you're hearing (not always, but usually).
#35 of 42 Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
The insurance companies only want to make money.
...and so does the pharmaceutical company and so does the ped. All on the backs (thighs) of our kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela512 View Post
From what my friend told me, the "best" doctors still get these perks under the table. : It's not as widely done as it was before...but it does still happen.

Although, usually it's done in a more "conference" setting where they meet to slap each other on the back and then enjoy their vacation/golf outing/dinner at the top restaurants.
#36 of 42 Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM

I don't think it's fair to paint all pediatricians with a broad brush any more than it is to say that all attorneys are money-grubbing, sue-happy slimeballs. Or any more than it is to say that all midwives are under-trained, dangerous wanne-be obstetricians.
#37 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 AM

Yeah DTaP is the one shot I would NEVER EVER give my child.

My kid is at the doctor's all the time (ear infections out the wazoo, 2.5 sets of tubes already!), but we've gone through 5 or 6 Peds to find one I actually like. They haven't even asked us but one time if we were up to date and I said "No, we're not doing them" and he didn't say a thing about it. Thank goodness. We don't go to the doctors for well baby check ups except at 1 year, and we'll go at 2 years. I like to get his stats for the baby book.
#38 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 AM

I noticed a few blank height & weight charts lying around the nurse exam room and I helped myself to a few. Then I just stopped going and filled them out myself.

FYi the forms on about .com are a little different, not as accurate IMo.

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
#39 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the "welcome"!

In IL, Prevnar was "highly recommended, but not required". I still gave it anyway. Then one of my patients told me about MDC and I read a thread about prevnar with links to the CDC. According to the CDC, rate of Strep pneumo (the bacteria that prevnar protects against) meningitis and pneumonia (I've seen both and both are HORRIBLE) have not decreased at all since the vax was introduced. The only thing it has done is: 1. 'decreased the rate of ear infections' (however, just about that time, new recs for diagnosing ear infections were introduced) and 2. it has decreased the rate of bacteremia without a focus (meaning your kids looks sick, have fevers, ears are fine, lungs are fine, but strep pneumo is grown out of a blood culture). Since, IMHO, memingitis and pneumonia rates havent decreased, I don't think it is doing its job.

Besides, It hurts like H**L!! The kids always cry the most after it. I had the chance to talk to the CEO of Wyeth (the company that makes Prevnar) about the pain issue. They haven't done anything about it yet. If I meet him again, I'm gonna have the CDC data in my hand.
Where did you see that Prevnar decreases pneumococcal septicemia?
I've seen stats on Prevnar decreasing "IPD" but the diagnostic criteria for that is pretty vague. It's defined as pneumococcus cultured from "normally sterile sites"...which could, in theory, apply to otitis media.

What I'd personally like to see is stats on "bacterial meningitis" in Prevnar'ed kids compared to placebo kids. THAT would be a good endpoint to evaluate. And then "pneumococcal meningitis" under that.
Fishing out the reality behind the Prevnar stats is a mess. There's pneumococcal replacement disease making everythnig weird right off the bat, and then s.pneumo/staph replacement "bacterial disease" complicating things...and then other inter-species complications going on, too.

Have you been following the research on Prevnar and staph?
Weird, weird stuff.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=574250

Anyway,
, again.

#40 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
It's funny...I told the moms in my local moms group (which I've been booted from because many of the moms took offense that THEIR precious doctors care more about money and golf outings than the health of their child) about the incentives and all (told directly to me by my friend) and they just about lost their minds. "No doctor would do that!" "My doctor demands full, on time immunizations so that my child doesn't get sick! That's all!" Sure, and I'm sure that he/she is thinking about how healthy his/her bank account is at the same time.

Some people just don't want to know the truth.
Yeah it sounds like she was more angry about HER actions being challenged. Maybe those moms have 2nd thoughts and are just trying to make themselves feel better. I do it everyday myself (my dh received her 1st 2 rounds of vax before I became aware!!).
#41 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
From my experience, the doctors "believe" what they are told. If you've never seen a pharma rep talk to a doctor about their products, you're missing out! LOL They tout this vax as the next best thing...throw in some incentives (pens, paper, notepads, mousepads, etc, etc, etc) and the docs will listen. It's sad because I think that if the docs REALLY researched the vaxes outside of what they are "sold" on in the speeches, they would probably back off on giving them. However, most docs I've met never research...they just go by what the pharmas tell them...which is why a lot of people hear the same stories from different doctors. It's not the docs experiences you're hearing, but the sales pitch from the pharmas that you're hearing (not always, but usually).
Back when I was naive, and discussing vax with my ped, I told her that I had read all this hoorible stuff on the internet about them, and I was concerned. She told me it was "dangerous" to read what was on the internet and advised me to stop. This was a touchy subject with her. I really wish they would do their own research!
#42 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Amydep- I had a similar visit with my kid's Ped. a couple months ago. I'm glad you stuck to your guns. Next time, don't even bother challenging them, or explain yourself, it's none of their business. Besides, you're actually in most cases, educating them, most of them have no idea about vax's.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page