HELP...6 month vax on Monday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
katieshutters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Indianpolis, IN
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd started getting vaxed from the day she was born. I started researching this topic shortly there after but wasnt educated enough to know when and what she should be getting. We decided early on that she would not get the MMR or chicken pox but I was totally uneducated about the others. So far she has had Hep B twice DTap, Hib , IPV, and PRV at 2 and 4 months. She goes in on Monday for the 6 months shots which are Dtap, Hib, IPV, and PRV. Can someone please help me to know if she needs to finish these shots since she has started them and which ones are the most beneficial, if any to finish. Im pretty sure I am pretty sure I am going to finish Dtap, and Hib, but what about the others and why. I cant seem to find any info on already starting to Vax and wanting to stop. Please help.
katieshutters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM
 
lordeeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From my research and experience with 5 unvaccinated children, I would just stop them. As many vaccine injured children's parents will tell you, you just don't know which one will be the one to push them over the edge and start causing obvious health problems. They would also say that if they had of only known that it could or would happen. There is no screening available to determine which chlidren will be adverely affected and to what extent. It's like playing Russian Roulette to me and it only takes one bullet and you have no idea where that specific one might be.

Keep researching and I am sure that you will find plenty of information just be careful of who's advice you accept as the truth. If research is funded by the Pharma industry then look elsewhere. You will be glad that you did.
lordeeme is offline  
#3 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
 
lordeeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=240

this is the forum where others here have written of their experiences. You may find it very helpful in your decision.
lordeeme is offline  
#4 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're unsure- don't do them now. You can always do them later- there's no harm in waiting. You can never take them back.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#5 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM
 
AutumnMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northwest US
Posts: 4,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
If you're unsure- don't do them now. You can always do them later- there's no harm in waiting. You can never take them back.

-Angela
: I started my oldest daughter's shots, and stopped them. She won't be getting any more, there's no harm in stopping midway; it's all just guessing on their part as to how many they "need" anyway.

I suggest waiting until you're totally comfortable with your decision, if you feel like you still need to go to her checkup tell the nurses and Dr that you're still deciding and not going to be getting any shots today, and be prepared knowing that they will probably use all kinds of pressure to try to get you to vax while you're in the office.

I figured I would selectively vax, and went through the vaxed-for diseases one by one and weighed all the factors.

Good luck Mama, I know it's tough to try and wade through all that information!
AutumnMama is offline  
#6 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
 
grahamsmom98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Katie, call and CANCEL the appointment.

You are unsure and need to do a LOT more research. This is not something to mess around with! If you go in, with your current feelings, they will railroad you into doing all the vaccinations THEY want her to have. You won't know what hit you and you will leave that appointment with a completely vaccinated baby and wondering what happened.

You CAN stop vaccinations anytime you want. The series can be started again, later, should your research convince you that they are what is right for your child. But, once they go in, they don't come out!

Cancel the appointment, tell them something has come up and you will call another time to re-schedule. Do NOT let THEM set another appointment.

Remember, you hired your doctor, not the other way around! They can be sweet and supportive. However, those offices are rare.

By the way, there is NO reason, other than CONVENIENCE to do multiple shots at one office visit. If your child should have a reaction, there is no way to know which vaccine did it. I know, because we almost lost our son at age 7 months to one of the six vaccines he got at that visit (HepB, Hib, OPV, DTP). It happened within 30 seconds of the administration of the vaccines, while still on the exam table.

Please, please, PLEASE wait until you are completely, 100% sure. And, if you do decide to continue, PLEASE, just one at a time!
grahamsmom98 is offline  
#7 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 05:01 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are many of us who do not vax AT ALL.




I would cancel the appointment while you research this a bit more; Monday isn't enough time.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#8 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
 
Jen78fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to say I totally agree with everyone here!
Jen78fl is offline  
#9 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
 
Gitti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ready to move on...
Posts: 14,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call and leave a message to cancel your appointment and start researching. She doesn't need any more vaccines. There is no such thing as finishing a series. Most kids are immune after the first shot. They just give all kids a second and third for the kids that don't show immunity to the first shot.

You can always vaccinate later but you can NEVER take a vaccine back out of her body if she has an adverse reactions. Don't do it without knowing exactly what is being injected into her little body. You may regret it all your life.
Gitti is offline  
#10 of 14 Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 PM
 
Kiddoson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with everyone else. cancel and research. She is your baby, they do not care if she is hurt fromt he vaccines, only that she meets their "quota". When my DD was little I was in the ped office before i had researched vaccines and saw an award on the wall from the pharmicutical company to the doctor for having 85% vaccinate. I then realized what it is really about.
Kiddoson is offline  
#11 of 14 Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
 
phreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just cancel your appointment. If it's just for a regular well baby visit and you don't have any other concerns that need to be addressed, just cancel it. They aren't going to come after you for you.

I have my baby vaxed up to 6 months as well. She was supposed to get her next round at 12 months. She's going on 16 months now. I still haven't been to the doctor for it. I got a postcard in the mail the other day from the health department informing me I was late for her shots and to call my pedi and set up an appointment. (umm....thanks) That's about it. I have brought her to the doctor one other time for a rash on her hand since then...it wasn't even mentioned. I think if you specify "well baby visit" that pretty much equals vaccine time.

I think I would like to continue, but I want to wait until she's a little older and space them out. I'm also opting out of some of them (CP, Hep A, Rotavirus...) I don't feel like I know enough right now to continue.
phreedom is offline  
#12 of 14 Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 PM
 
amydep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with the others - just call and cancel the appointment. We took DD in for her one year check up on Tuesday (look down in the posts and you can see my post about my experience. I think I labeled it "Vaccine pushers - pediatricians") because I thought it would be useful to have her height and weight logged into her chart. I literally spent the whole visit defending my position on not vaxing. It really was a waste. If I were any less convinced on my position, I could have easily been swayed into getting "just one or two shots". If you are unsure - CANCEL. If your baby is healthy, eating well, gaining weight well, then she has no reason to go in. We will not be scheduling our DD's 18 month appointment. The next time either of my kids goes to see the doctor, it will be because they are very ill and actually NEED to see a doctor. Good luck with your research!!!
amydep is offline  
#13 of 14 Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
 
CanidFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with everyone else. Call and cancel then do some research. The archives on this thread are excellent and I got sooo much info from them, especially the dtap shot because that was one I was undecided about.

There is no harm in stopping a vax series midway. You do not need to finish up the 6 month shots just because you did the 2 and 4 month. Don't let the doctor pressure you until you are sure what you want.

Good luck in your research
CanidFL is offline  
#14 of 14 Old 01-12-2008, 12:57 AM
 
ReikiMommy07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ITA with PPs... You can give 'em, but you can't retract 'em... Good luck in your research, and don't go to another appt unless you have concerns. Otherwise, you can do height and weight yourself b/c WBV = vax clinic.
ReikiMommy07 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off