Non-vaxers: How do you prepare for travel overseas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 13 mo DS is non-vaxed. I'm hoping to keep him vax free especially since DH's brother is severely autistic and we do not want to risk DS becoming autistic himself. Besides that, I'm allergic to something in anti-perspirant : - I'm assuming it's the alluminum - so that's yet another trigger that DS may have inherited.

I really would like to go to Europe with my family but wonder if being non vaxed will be an issue with travel. I am only interested in going to the mainstream locales: England, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain and if we can ever afford it, a big city in Australia or New Zeland (yes, I know that's not Europe, silly!)

Is there a greater risk for non-vaxed individuals overseas?
Would I need to vax DS to travel?
What can I do to protect DS?
What else do I need to think about before travelling overseas with a non-vaxed child?

Any input from you anti-vax guru mamas would be greatly appreciated!

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#2 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 AM

Well, if it's any help, I live in NZ and my kids are non-vaxxed - no greater risk living here I don't think. No advice though sorry, haven't travelled with the kids.

Have a great trip - sounds like it will be fun!

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#3 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 AM

How do I prepare to go overseas? I make sure all of our passports are updated and I buy airline tickets We've gone overseas many times and have never had any issues or worries.

Have a great trip!
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
Is there a greater risk for non-vaxed individuals overseas?
Nope

Quote:
Would I need to vax DS to travel?
No.

Quote:
What can I do to protect DS?
The same things you do at home, nothing special. It's not the VPDs that's your problem, it's colds and minor local bugs, nothing to do with vaccination.

Quote:
What else do I need to think about before travelling overseas with a non-vaxed child?
Get a good camera! Sounds like a vacation to kill for, have a great time!
#5 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My nonvaxers have been to Europe and have even ridden on New York subways! We go everywhere!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#6 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 01:52 AM

oh, that sounds like an awesome trip!! non vaxing shouldn't be an issue at all given those locales.

i took unvaxed dd overseas to japan when she was 8 months old, it was an amazing trip, and we're hoping to do it again some time in the next year or so.
#7 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 AM

hmmmm check flight schedules and estimate baggage needed. Vaxxing questions do not even enter into my travel concerns, especially not in any of the places you listed.
#8 of 30 Old 01-11-2008, 06:53 AM

I've lived in some pretty poor countries where most would be scared to death not to vax. No problems. I even found a local mama here who doesn't vax.

For the countries you mention, don't even worry about it.
#9 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 AM

Hey Girlie,
Don't mean to jack your thread or anything - but wondering what everyone thinks about travel to Mexico with a non-vaxed child? Thanks for the input.
-K
#10 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karly1 View Post
Hey Girlie,
Don't mean to jack your thread or anything - but wondering what everyone thinks about travel to Mexico with a non-vaxed child? Thanks for the input.
-K
Mexico has a higher vaccination rate than the US. The thought of vaccines wouldn't even cross my mind going to Mexico- just don't drink the water

-Angela
#11 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Mexico has a higher vaccination rate than the US. The thought of vaccines wouldn't even cross my mind going to Mexico- just don't drink the water

-Angela
:
#12 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM

None of those countries or Mexico or Carribbean would give me pause.

The places that would make me think about it are not traditional tourist destinations.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#13 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 01:28 PM
ver

And what about living in Maputo, Mozambique for 3 years? My son (2 years old) is not vaxed and my husband is getting anxious and thus getting me anxious! Only one month to go and I thought we were settled with not vaxing but one pro-vax article stirred things up. I'm running out of time to print out all the evidence against vaxing and have him read it. Maybe someone can help with which vaccine preventable diseases to be most worried about and maybe what medication I should have on hand in case our kid gets sick with one of the vaccine-preventable diseases. I know it's asking a lot but I need help. Thanks
#14 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 01:35 PM

In 2005, Mozambique had:

Measles: 12,598 (constantly hovering just below or above 10,000 mark for last decade or so)
Pertussis: 12
tetanus neonatal: 26
tetanus total: 15
Dipitheria: 0
Polio: 0 (last cases were in 2000)

All other VPDs, including yellow fever, the information is not available

source:
http://www.who.int/vaccines-document...balSummary.pdf

I am not sure if it is required, but it possibly may be, for you to take an anti malarial med. Since it is considered a malaria zone, it might be a requirement, check into that. edit: it is not a requirement but just recommended..but considering their position as one of the ten most infected countries, I would take the meds, but that's me.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#15 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM

You don't have to vax to go to Europe.
Not even Mexico.
You will have more food/water issues with these places
than a need to vax.
We go overseas all the time.
Just keep your passports up to date and don't worry.
Ya know, unless you're going somewhere like Ethiopia where
it's generally just an unclean place (3rd world), then I wouldn't
worry about it. Even then, I probably wouldn't do a vax before
going....I would just be extra careful about where I ate, slept, etc....
#16 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM

I live in Europe...definitely no vax worries here.

For Mozambique...if anything, I would say you'd rather need to worry about catching plenty of other things that would not relate at all to vaxes. My dh and I caught several revolting "bugs" while in Africa but I wouldn't worry about the diseases that one vaxes for in the US specifically.

This issue aside...I think Mozambique would be fab!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#17 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yellow Fever is usually required for travel to any African country.

Check with www.who.int

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
hmmmm check flight schedules and estimate baggage needed. Vaxxing questions do not even enter into my travel concerns, especially not in any of the places you listed.
Hee hee! That is exactly how I feel about it!

We have never let travels dictate our decision.
#19 of 30 Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM

Having lived in countries like Nicaragua, Mexico and Costa Rica, and traveling through many other countries in Central America, I would have no problem traveling with my non-vaxed ds. I do not vax because I don't like what they put in vaxes and they enter our bodies unnaturally. The fact that I live in Canada is irrelevant.

caffix.gif

#20 of 30 Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 PM

:

To be frank, I think if one is worried about travelling one has not done his or her homework. I would no more go blindly into a doctor's office and let him or her vax my child than I would NOT vax my child without have obtained ALL of the information needed to live my life without worry.
#21 of 30 Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 PM

i feel the same way, living in one of those *3rd world countries*(i find this term a little annoying too).
It's not like the USA is a little sterile bubble, yk?
#22 of 30 Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOutThere View Post
:

To be frank, I think if one is worried about travelling one has not done his or her homework. I would no more go blindly into a doctor's office and let him or her vax my child than I would NOT vax my child without have obtained ALL of the information needed to live my life without worry.
O.k., just making sure... Are you addressing ME or the mama from Mozambique? (that's not me)

I would say that getting feedback from this forum IS part of doing my homework. Isn't that what MDC is for: Sharing information and offering support? I know enough to be sure that delaying vax's is safe enough to do in case I decide to vax in the future. I also wouldn't say that delaying a trip to Paris does not equate to living my life "full of worry". I personally would not travel to a "3rd world" country, so that certainly is not MY worry.

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#23 of 30 Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Many prefer the term "developing country" or the like (and don't rule them out, they can be very beautiful places!-- well, I am biased as my DH is from/many relatives in such countries )

But I also do not agree on the idea of if you do all your "homework" fear will always go away...but I also don't feel it is fear-- if that makes any sense . I know that not vaccinating and vaccinating has risk when it comes to my travel; and I am aware of the risk and wary of it...it can be on my mind sometimes, even though I have researched all I need.

But perhaps that is more of what the poster was saying-- it won't be "fear" anymore once you've done all your research...it will just be "knowing".

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#24 of 30 Old 01-14-2008, 03:54 AM

Sorry if I sounded gruff.
#25 of 30 Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM

hummm...
is my country "second world" then?

and I dont vax.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#26 of 30 Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Israel is considered a developed country.

Other labels for levels of development are "Emerging Economy" "Newly Industrialized" etcetc.

#27 of 30 Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karly1 View Post
Hey Girlie,
-K
I've done it and it didn't even cross my mind.
#28 of 30 Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

O.k., I didn't intend for this thread to be a discussion on PC terms for countires

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Other labels for levels of development are "Emerging Economy" "Newly Industrialized" etcetc.
or to spread fear about non-vaxing. I just wanted to make sure I do everything I can for my DS before visiting the Louvre!

I think I've gotten my answers as far as any possible risks in travelling with a non-vax'ed child. Thanks ladies for your support.

#29 of 30 Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
hummm...
is my country "second world" then?

No, but it sure feels like it sometimes, doesn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Israel is considered a developed country.

Yeah that. First Worlders, we are. (That sounds so StarTrek, doesn't it. )
#30 of 30 Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ver View Post
And what about living in Maputo, Mozambique for 3 years? My son (2 years old) is not vaxed and my husband is getting anxious and thus getting me anxious! Only one month to go and I thought we were settled with not vaxing but one pro-vax article stirred things up. I'm running out of time to print out all the evidence against vaxing and have him read it. Maybe someone can help with which vaccine preventable diseases to be most worried about and maybe what medication I should have on hand in case our kid gets sick with one of the vaccine-preventable diseases. I know it's asking a lot but I need help. Thanks
I am SO JEALOUS!

My only real concern would be about malaria.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page