FL vax laws? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was asked to bring a exemption form from my doc to WIC. The doc office said the heath dept. has it, and asked what religion we are, then refused to give us anything? What are my rights in FL? How do I find info on it? The only things I found were about vax and nothing about not vaxing.

And why does anyone have to right to question my decison as a parent?

Please help.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#2 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM

Moving to Vax.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Welcome to a complex issue. But it only looks that way until you know the ins and out of it.

I don't know how doctors get away with it. But I do know that they are compensated by big pharma for peddling their vaccines. So, that is the ped's incentive. Sad!

here is some info about exemptions in Fl.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8&postcount=23
#4 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM

I live in Florida too and am just looking into exemptions. Have you gone to the Florida tribal area to ask around if anyone knows of a non vax friendly pediatrician? My pediatrician supports our decision 100% and does not require an exemption. In fact….no pediatricians require exemptions for you to be in their care.

Here is a question to go along with Florida exemptions. Do you need to get a new exemption every year or just when you change day care providers or schools?
#5 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM

IME, you need the exemption for school. DH went to the health department and requested the religious exemption. They are not allowed to ask you what religion you are. It is against the law. If your child has received prior vaccinations, you do not need to turn in the vax form to the school - just the exemption. I was told this by our school district. In fact, I wouldn't even offer the vax form because it would just cause more confusion/questions. All they need is the exemption form which is easily obtained by going to the health department. You may want to call before to see if you need an appointment, but in our area no appointment was necessary.

As far as getting another copy of the exemption when you move, etc., I'm not sure. I know that the school's records should be transferred, and in that file would be the exemption. But, I guess just to be on the safe side, I would get another exemption. Of course, always make a copy of the exemption before you turn in the original to the school district. You do not need to file a new exemption every year.

Here is some info on Florida religious exemption laws http://www.know-vaccines.org/exemptionFAQ.html

Start with the health department though. That is where you get the exemption, and then once you have the exemption in hand, then you should be good. Remember, it is illegal for them to ask you what religion you are. Here is a quote from the above link:
Quote:
Q: What religions qualify for religious exemption?
The statutory language for Florida vaccine policy clearly states that religious exemption must be granted without question if vaccination conflicts with a person's religious convictions. A religious objection may be expressly implied by religious denomination or it may be based on an individual's own moral/spiritual conscience to live God's Word.

Agents acting on behalf of the state in vaccination matters are prohibited from requesting ANY administrative proof that explains the recipient's religious belief or that proves membership in an "acceptable" or specific religion. The state may NOT discriminate between religious denominations and may NOT make judgments regarding religious convictions.
#6 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 04:21 PM

Oh...one more thing...the ONLY kind of vax exemption that your doctor can issue is a medical exemption. The religious exemption cannot be obtained from him, it has to be obtained from the health department.
#7 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 05:41 PM

You shouldn't need an exemption form from WIC. WIC benefits are not tied to vaccination status. A religious exemption is mainly required for public school entry, and that is something you do pick up at the health department. Don't let anyone give you any flack, interrogate your about your religion and/or religious beliefs, or say that you need an appointment. By law, you don't have to tell them what religion you are. Actually, you don't have to tell your pedi any information about your religion either. Remember, you employ your doctor, not the other way around!

What area of Florida are you in?
#8 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 PM

WIC Eligibility & Vax
"Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits. "

1. Doctors can only give medical exemptions; they have NOTHING to do with any other exemption.
2. The Health Department cannot refuse to give you an exemption because you will not reveal your religion. Make sure you take a cell and have all the health department #s you can find along with you congressman's number in case they get weird on you.
3. Print out the WIC policy and show it if necessary.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM

In order to get WIC, they ask you for your "vaccination records." (Just like taking your child to school) What you need to do is go to the Health Department, (possibly even the same office as WIC) and tell them it is against your religion to vaccinate and you need an exemption. Then they will tell you about how important vaccinations are (and you'll sit through the speech and hopefully smile and nod) and you'll walk out with a temporary exemption form. You can give THAT wo WIC until your real exemption form is processed.

Then you make a copy of that permanent one, and Voila!

Did you say where in FL you are?
#10 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
WIC Eligibility & Vax
"Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits. "

1. Doctors can only give religious exemptions; they have NOTHING to do with any other exemption.
2. The Health Department cannot refuse to give you an exemption because you will not reveal your religion. Make sure you take a cell and have all the health department #s you can find along with you congressman's number in case they get weird on you.
3. Print out the WIC policy and show it if necessary.
Doctors cant give religious exemptions.

Only Medical exemptions.

Good luck finding a doc that does that. I dont know of one in Florida.
#11 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post

Only Medical exemptions.

I've got one sitting right here signed and ready to go in case we can enroll dd in sports through the county this summer. There is already one on file with the school signed by the same NP that both kids see and our new one will be seeing. She did fill out the temporary part, but it's not going to be a problem having her do that again when this expires 1/12/13.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#12 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM

thats weird. I hadn't heard of that before.
#13 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 PM

WIC has never asked us. We have no exemption forms yet, and aren't planning to since we won't enroll DDs in daycare/school. We are in north Tampa. Why would WIC want the form? Can you go to another WIC office?
#14 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

I just read a thread about the nightmare it was to get a exemption form from the st lucie heath dept. and that is where I went. I read the laws and replys from my post and thought it would be easy to get the exemption form right befor my WIC appt. I asked the woman at the front desk, and she gave me a card and said I need to make an appt. I said I don't understand I only need the exemption form, and she was rude and said you need to make an appt. WIC gave me one month of checks and said I need to come back with the exemption form again.

So do I need the exemption form for WIC? Where does it say it is not required? Can I go to another heath dept. I read Martin county has no problem giving out the exemption form.

I could also us some advice on how to navagate around the web site. I never get time on the computer, and have no skills. I can't find anything. But I'm going to try to spend a few minutes a day learning.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#15 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

I just read over your link awsome info. Thank You!

#16 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:

Only Medical exemptions.

I meant medical exemptions. It would be pretty silly if Drs could only give religious exemptions and not medical ones.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#17 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
In order to get WIC, they ask you for your "vaccination records." (Just like taking your child to school)
No, it is not like taking your child to school; you do not need an exemption for WIC though a vax record can be used as a form of identification. The link to government website and exact quote stating records are not necessary are below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II
WIC Eligibility & Vax
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof1/1ontheway View Post
So do I need the exemption form for WIC? Where does it say it is not required? Can I go to another heath dept. I read Martin county has no problem giving out the exemption form.
See above. Part of WICs mission is to match these "at risk" children with a place to get vaccines, but vaccines and vaccination records ARE NOT REQUIRED to received benefits. Some clinics also offer vaccinations on site. Print out the page I linked above and take it with you.

#18 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof1/1ontheway View Post

I could also us some advice on how to navagate around the web site. I never get time on the computer, and have no skills. I can't find anything. But I'm going to try to spend a few minutes a day learning.
Up above there are two parallel bars with links. On the bottom one, on the left is the FAQ. You can also go here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...isplay.php?f=5 to the "Pleased to Meet You Board".

To reference another post in a thread you can click on the QUOTE button on the lower right hand corner of the post you wish to quote and delete the bits you are not addressing. To quote multiple posts you click on the ( "+ ) next to the normal QUOTE button in each post you wish to quote from then click on the REPLY button on the left on the bottom of the thread and delete what you do not want to address.

#19 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM

I have an easier time with just doing what they tell me too. I got the exemption, didnt even mention to the wic lady that my kids arent vaxxed, and got my checks and was done.

If you want to try and buck the system and argue with them, you surely can, but ime it just takes longer and is more frustrating.

I gave up on that. I am happy about it. LOL.
#20 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 11:15 AM

Here is the letter I used:

To whome it may concern

In accordance with FL Statutes, 232.032(3a) which reads in part as follows:

Immunizations against communicable diseases; school attendance requirements; exemptions.--
232.032(a) "The provision of this section shall not apply if: (a) the parent or guardian of the child objects in writing that the admistration of immunizing agents conflictswith his or her religious tenets or pratices;"

Under the Constitution of the United States we are granted "freedom of religion" I know of no law that requires one to belong to an organized church or religious sect to practice his sacred beliefs. Please be advised and advise those concerned that I met the requiremnts under 232.032.

Sincerely

There is nothing they can say and their mouth will probably drop but there it is. Use it if you need to.

Heidi

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#21 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I have an easier time with just doing what they tell me too. I got the exemption, didnt even mention to the wic lady that my kids arent vaxxed, and got my checks and was done.

If you want to try and buck the system and argue with them, you surely can, but ime it just takes longer and is more frustrating.

I gave up on that. I am happy about it. LOL.

It's not "bucking the system", the statement comes from the WIC website, though I suppose you are pointing out their ignorance of the law and their own policy.

In FL, where nearly every resident here has had to drive to the health department, argue their right to have the form, turn in the form, sit through a lecture, return another day and pick up the form, just showing the statement (that you can print yourself), from WIC, that benefits are not tied to vaccination status or a vax card seems easier to me. You don't have to mention your child's vaccinations status at all; you are just not producing the card.

#22 of 22 Old 01-19-2008, 11:34 PM

Just in case you haven't seen this thread. (I wasn't sure which one you were referring to earlier.) This is what I was armed w/when I went to get my exemption in FL. (With no problems whatsoever too, I might add. )

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=446759

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page