Non-vaxers: how often to you see the ped? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Non-vaxers, I'm just wondering how often you take your DC to the pediatrician and for what reasons?

Seems like the standard advice would have me taking the baby in several times a year, but I'm wondering how much of that is vaccine related? I go years between hospital visits, DH goes decades. Why should our baby go every couple of months? Yet as a not-yet parent I get the impression I'm being naive.

If we don't vax, what are the reasons to go other than serious illness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is 4 months and so far we went at 3 days (home birth), 1 month and 2 months. Our next appointment is for 6 months and then we go again at 12 months. After that, we will go yearly. I just feel that I am not a doctor and could not detect things that are wrong with a heart, joints, eyes, stomach, etc. I feel good taking him in and hearing how great he is doing. I like getting an official weight and height since I don’t have any precise measuring devices at home. I love my pediatrician and really enjoy talking to him. He is very supportive of bfing and non vaxing as well as alternative treatments. I really want a relationship with a doctor incase my son ever did get a VPD or something serious. Plus I want me son to be familiar with him incase he ever got sick and needed to go to the hospital.

That pretty much sums it up.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 PM

I go once a year.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM

My belief is that MDs are good for some illnesses and injuries. Dd has not yet had one of those illnesses or injuries, so she's not yet seen an MD.

-Angela
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM

I also go once a year.

*Whoops, I just saw that this says "How often do you see your PED"...I thought it said dr...

We don't see a ped. We use a DO and have found his practice to be MUCH more inclusive of non-vaxxing, extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc. Plus, he's in a small town about 6 miles away and will make house calls....or open the office no matter what time. Not that we've needed that, but it's nice to know.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 PM

I took DS to the ped at 3 weeks. The guy was so fast, forgot to check his retinas (didn't matter, they checked them at the ER when we took him when he was 3 days old, tried to retract him!!!!! GRR.). Then writes me a script for iron drops (didn't check his blood either). Needless to say I didn't take him back, the iron drops just gave me a 'bad' feeling, lucky I checked into it online and found out it's bad to give it to them. I'm going to take DS to a ND soon, just for a check to establish him there and see how this doc is.

If you aren't going to vax them, there isn't much point unless they are sick. If you trust your instincts you usually can tell if something isn't right.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 PM

We use a nurse practitioner. We go once a year and she doesn't care about our vax status.

Kirsten, wife of Jason, mom to Anne, 7, and Orion, 5 (my HBAC baby!).  Owner of Bloo Kangaroo Carriers - bringing moms, dads, and little ones closer since 2007.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Since we moved to our current town 4 years ago, DS and DD1 have each been to the doctor 1 time, to establish them as patients. DD2 has never been. They're not sick; we don't need to go
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM

My son was vaxxed but we stopped at 9 months so he has only gone in when sick (one time).

With this baby I think we'll do like the PP. once at 2 weeks (I had bf issues with my youngest, he was jaundiced and we didnt know until he was 2 weeks and we too him in, at that point he had to be hospitalized, so I'm paranoid) then probably 2 months, 6 months, 1 year and then yearly after that.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6&page=1&pp=20

We go in case of trauma. So far no trauma. Therefore no ped. Kids are 10, 4, 2.

We have a family member MD who signs off on physicals when needed for the oldest (school).
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 PM

Never!

The only time they will go to the doctor would be in case of extreme sickness or an emergency. I can look at them and know that they are in good health. I don't want to go to the doctor only to be harrassed about vaccines.

Ds has seen a doctor exactly twice: once for a preschool entry physical, once because he swallowed a screw and I took him to the emergency center. Dd (21 months) has never seen a ped.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 PM

We've switched to a family physician. That said, we moved to a new state two years ago, and have just found a physician. I will take the baby a couple times a year to get to know the doc, but otherwise, we don't go unless they are sick. We go for physicals for school, too.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Since we stopped giving shots after the 4mo WBV, we've been back exactly once, right after ds turned 1. If he gets sick, and needs a doctor, I'll take him to one. But I can weigh and measure him myself, and he's meeting his milestones ahead of schedule, so I see no reason to take him in all the time.

I think the OP asked, "how much of it has to do with vax?"

IMO, a lot. But that's just an opinion. I personally think babies are hardy enough to not need close medical supervision every four weeks (unless of course they have medical issues which warrant that kind of supervision). I think they tell you to come in as frequently as they do the first year because they want you to get the shots on schedule, and if you keep refusing, that's just that many more opportunities to hound you about it.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM

If you are not vaxing, then you certainly don't need to go as often. It may be helpful to go once or twice during the first couple of years to check developmental milestones if you have any concerns in that area. But, other than that, the doctor is there for illnesses.

The well baby visits are basically vax visits. Our ped does ask specific questions about development, checks muscle tone, etc.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Well, we see a family doctor (a D.O.) instead of a pediatrician, and we just go every so often. In the 1st year of DS's life, we went 4 or 5 times. Now that he is 14 months, we will maybe go a couple times this year and as needed. We have a great, supportive doctor though, so I don't ever feel uncomfortable taking DS in if I have to.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 PM

DS is 26 months and has not been to the doctor in over a year. He went once when he was 2 weeks for a WBC and once when he was just over a year for some strange poop issues.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
My children have never needed to be seen by a ped because they were sick. The only time we have gone is for physicals which were required for school or sports.

Medical doctors are only useful to us in the case of trauma, and so far there have been none.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 AM

We didn't vaccinate, so we just went every so often. Once before 6 months, once right at 6 months (when we'd just moved and tried to find a new ped, only to be threatened that she would fire us if we didn't agree to vaccinate... needless to say, we never went back there). A check-up at 1 year with the new ped and, after that, only when he had something going on or for a physical. DS has hardly ever gotten acutely sick to the point of needing to see a doctor (twice in 7 years), but he's had a few chronic things going on - allergies, hugely enlarged adenoids, that sort of thing.

If I had another child now, I'd take them for routine visits just because I love DS' doctor and would want her to know a new child as well as she knows DS. She's very tuned in to him and we have a great relationship. I would want that for any other child I had. When a person is in need of a doctor, it's much better for them to be treated by someone who knows their baseline, IMO.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 AM

for medical (illness that I can't fix myself) or trauma. We havn't been in almost 5 years. Other than when ds2 needed stitches and again that was a trauma.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 AM

When there are first born about 3 days later. I take them in every so often. I took my oldest in his lifetime( he is alost 4) 3 times. Once, I though he had an ear infection, they prescribed amoxocillin sp? then he broke out in hives had to take him back in....

Then once he had enlarged taste buds, found out he had strep.
I take them in when I don't feel like they will get well on their own.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 AM

Like pp we don't go unless they are sick/trauma and DD has never had either, so she hasn't been since she was a newborn. DS has been twice this year, once for a physical for school and once because he woke up with his eye almost swollen shut because something bit him while he was sleeping. IF I had a lovely no-vax friendly doctor that I had a good relationship with, then I probably would have done more well baby visits and such, but I don't so far, still looking though. I'm calling some DO's in my area and hopefully before this next babe is born I can find someone I really like.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 AM
Spy

Started off a pretty mainstream way (i.e. monthly) and over the years got to nothing at all. First WBVs were dropped, then regular illnesses, then even minor traumas. Now we may occasionally see a GP if we need a referral for insurance purposes - once in a few years.

We do use a homeopath for health related issues though.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
My belief is that MDs are good for some illnesses and injuries. Dd has not yet had one of those illnesses or injuries, so she's not yet seen an MD.

-Angela
: For my three youngest kids in the last 3 years. My oldest hasn't seen a ped in over 6 years.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 AM

I was wondering this too............But then again, even if I wanted to take my kids to the doctor, we couldn't, because they fired us, and I haven't found a doc who will see my incredibly dangerous unvaxed dd.:

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM

I had a midwife with both my guys and we would go to midwives office for a weigh in once a month (just for my records, and curiousity) until about 1 year. The kids and I were in for a physical this past summer. I have no plans for another visit anytime soon.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM

we went by the schedule p to 6 months then went at a year then yearly
Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 PM

We actually went to all the scheduled appointments and do not vax.. but our ped is very wonderful and supportive and for me personally I feel more confident with another set of eyes on development. After 2 we go every year. Of course if I DIDN'T have a great doc I totally might feel differently.

: totally blessed mother of 2
Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks mom View Post
I was wondering this too............But then again, even if I wanted to take my kids to the doctor, we couldn't, because they fired us, and I haven't found a doc who will see my incredibly dangerous unvaxed dd.:
I'm fairly certain it's against the law to "fire" you until you can find an alternative provider. If anything happened where you wanted to see a doctor, they should be required to see you.

Me, I go to all the WBVs. I am so scared about CPS (no reason to be; just general fear) that I want a record of some sort somewhere that I do take care of my kids. DS has been to the doctor once not for a WBV, because of his umbilical granuloma (it was while we were on vacation at my parents' house and my mother was nervous about it) and the doctor misapplied the silver nitrate which resulted in our being hospitalized overnight and IV antibiotics for nothing but that's it.

Our first doctor was AWESOME -- he didn't believe vaxxing was necessary (didn't particularly think it was harmful either, so he'd do it, but no pressure whatsoever), thought breastmilk was the best food ever, and generally believed that mother's intuition was the most accurate way to tell if a child was seriously sick or not -- none of that "fever over 100.4 before 3 mths --> hospital" business. We moved, and had to leave his practice, and our new doctor is pretty good too -- didn't blink an eye when I told her I wasn't worried about getting DS off bottles after a year because I expect him to just go back to nursing all the time when I give birth (due this week); gave me a three minute spiel when I joined the practice about why she recommends vaxxing but never brought it up again, etc. Not as warm and friendly as our other pediatrician, but perfectly pleasant and non-threatening.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We are there A LOT because of our 6-month-old's health problems, but our pediatrician is very laid-back about vaxing.

Our older two never go to the doctor unless they're really ill. Would be the same way with the little one if he was healthy.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM

Never. We don't have a ped, just a family Dr. Ds, who is three, hasn't been in since 14 months. We took him to a couple of well baby visits and then quit, as there was no reason to continue.

User Tag List