For those of you not vaccinating at all....question... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I think I already know the answer to this question, but for those of you who havent vaccinated your kids at all, have they come down with anything other than common colds?? I think that unvaccinated kids are probably actually alot healthier than vaccinated kids, but I am just curious to hear others experiences. My 4 year old son, who has autism, has received all his vaccinations up until 2 years old, and now he will not be receiving any more. And my next child, due in June, will not receive any vaccines at all. Thanks all for your help.

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 01:43 PM

DD has had no vaccinations and is almost always the healthiest among the family.
DS was vaccinated until 9 months (then I began to learn...) and had pertussis at almost 4 years old. DD was 10 months at the time, and she had a *very* mild case. DS had a far worse time with it.

I know many other non-vaxed kids. Some get sick, some don't. I believe it has much more to do with eating habits and overall health.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#3 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM

My daughter has probably had rubella. The doctor thought it was roseola, but later her titres showed immunity to rubella, so he thinks it was probably rubella because they often present the same.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonandmarasmom View Post

I know many other non-vaxed kids. Some get sick, some don't. I believe it has much more to do with eating habits and overall health.
I agree, I know many vaccinated children who have never had more than the sniffles (or constipation in one case). My kids never had anything but sniffles until 3 yrs when DD had rota and DS got it too but milder. In our playgroup, there are kids that are vaccinated, unvaccinated and selective-- and we talk about illness now and then, doesn't seem like too much difference to me. And the kid with the least illness to report is a fully vaxed child (supposedly only has had constipation twice and thats his only illness he's ever had)

I think breastfeeding, nutrition, exercise, travel and environment play a big role as well as genetics.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
Hi all. I think I already know the answer to this question, but for those of you who havent vaccinated your kids at all, have they come down with anything other than common colds??
Mine just recently had Chicken Pox. It was MUCH easier than I expected. However, I knew they'd been exposed so I boosted their immune systems in advance. They had about 200ish spots (which I've read is average), but they weren't too itchy, and other than a mild fever in my toddler at the beginning, none of them acted sick at all. I used tea tree and lavender EOs on the spots and that may have helped too.

Other than that, they get a lot of clear runny noses, but that's pretty much all. I do agree with Carriebft that there are many extenuating factors, but I don't doubt that their non-vaxed status helps. Although they're not in daycare, they are around other children quite frequently, and sick children too, and they just don't seem to contract the illnesses.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#6 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
My unvaxed kiddos are rarely sick, but neither is my vaxed child. There is so much more to health than not vaccinating, but it certainly is a benefit.

Jupiter retrograde in the Crab - Release From Pretending
#7 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM

dd was vaccinated for 4 months but not afterwards. ds was not vaccinated at all. Both are very healthy kids. They do get colds and the like but nothing serious or long lasting.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My vaxed child was sicker in his first two years than either of my unvaxed dd's. However, none have ever had an illness worse than a cold.
#9 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:31 PM

My three year old son is completely unvaxed and has had a couple of mild colds and what we think was Roseola.
#10 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Dd has had a few minor colds and viruses. One or two 24 hour stomach bugs.

-Angela
#11 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 PM

My unvaxed baby has had a sort of chronic low-level ear infection, a number of colds, one stomach virus, and possibly/probably mononucleosis. My immune system has always stunk so I have a theory that my breast milk was not as high in antibodies, b/c I don't think my body makes enough. I was formula fed, and I hope that my child will have a better outcome being breast fed for a long time and being unvaxed. Hopefully, she will bf her children and they will be better than both of us healthwise. I think it builds generation upon generation (healthy habits).
#12 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My oldest was fully vaxed at 2 months of age, then selectively/delayed vaxed thereafter. He was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 4 but seems to have outgrown all symptoms. He never gets sick now that the asthma is gone. He has two or three colds in his life, and two stomach bugs. He was formula-fed.

My middle child was selectively vaxed at 2 months and 4 months, and has not received any vax since then at all. She's had a couple of colds, never even one stomach bug. And she's been in daycare since 11 months old. She was formula-fed.

My youngest hasn't had any vax whatsoever, and he's been hospitalized with pneumonia twice. He's been in daycare since 7 weeks of age. He is exclusively breastfed. Cystic fibrosis is suspected.

I know we're the exception to the rule.
#13 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 PM

He's almost 8 years old. He's had chicken pox, rubella, rotovirus and 5th disease. I run a homedaycare so a lot of stuff gets brought in. He gets well much faster than the vaxed daycare kids do, AND he rarely catches their colds. We've had snotty nasty green noses all around us for months now and he hasn't caught any of it yet.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#14 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 PM

my ds1 is vaxed up to age 2 when theres the big age gap and i never took him back. he's now 51/2. he had pneumonia at about 13 / 14 months. no clue how he got that. it was the middle od the summer and he had chicken pox at 3yrs. my ds2 is 11 mths and so far hes just had a nasty cold in dec. oh and now that i think about it, ds1 also had pink eye before the age of 1 and croup.
#15 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 PM

My 13-months old DS has had 1 tetanus shot so far. Recently, me and my mom each caught two bad colds and the Noro-virus. Each of us felt so weak that we stayed in bed alternately – 3 times. DS has been around us all the time and didn't get more than a runny nose.

I was assured once more of his strong immune system, especially since the Noro-virus is supposed to be highly contagious. But I agree with PP's: it's a result of (almost) non-vaxing, breast-feeding, good nutrition, air, sleep etc.
#16 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 PM

No vaxs here, and only 3 minor colds since birth(almost 2 y/o), no more then a runny nose and cough. All 3 were when they were teething.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#17 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
...for those of you who havent vaccinated your kids at all, have they come down with anything other than common colds??
Well, we are still waiting in my two completely vaccine-free and abx-free grandchildren. They are super healthy, by far the healthiest kids in all the many playgroups and kiddy classes they attend.

Quote:
I think that unvaccinated kids are probably actually alot healthier than vaccinated kids,
There is no formal study from the big pharma. So we can only assume that they don't really want such a study because that would destroy the vaccine business.

There are a few small studies. Asthma - far less of that in vax free kids. Autism - almost none existent in non-vax kids.
#18 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 05:02 PM

I thought my DD had measles but nobody else got the rash so I'm not sure, and not curious enough to do a blood draw to find out. My DS2 was hospitalized due to RSV when he was a baby but it more related to his compromised immune system from undiagnosed food allergies than anything else. Other than that, none of my kids have had a VPD or serious illness. All of my children are very healthy and fight off normal illnesses without any problems.
#19 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 05:09 PM

My mother didn't vaccinate us. I have three sisters. Our ages are 40, 38,36 and 34 yrs.

The 2 oldest and 1 youngest had pertussis as younger children. I didn't. I got measles at 14 none of my sisters were affected. Other than the occasional ear infection, flu and colds we were pretty healthy growing up.

My son, who is 16 also has never been vaccinated. He hasn't had chickenpox ( but has been exposed ) measles, mumps or any of the other 'childhood' illness'. He has had one fever, one stomach flu ( maybe food poisoning) and two colds. Throw in a sore throat and that's it! This kid is never sick.

I also breasfed him into toddlerhood. We eat pretty normally. I don't go crazy with the organic everything whole grain diet. There is definately some fast food and deep fried stuff thrown in for good measure !
#20 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 PM

We've never had anything more than the common cold or roseola in our household and there isn't any difference in the frequency of illness between my vaxed and nonvaxed children. However, I have noticed that my nonvaxed child reacts differently to illness than the other two. He will frequently run a high fever (103-104 degrees) with illness and have a short-lived or no cough while the other two never run a fever and cough for weeks on end.

Maybe it's just his make-up because he also runs high fevers while teething, but I've often wondered what this means.
#21 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 06:02 PM

Unvaxed dd just had the flu, which she caught from me (don't know where I got it). Mine lasted 2.5 days, hers just 24 hours--I think because we didn't artificially lower her fever, but I did take Tylenol for mine (I had violent, shaking chills and couldn't take care of her without suppressing them).

She also has extensive food allergies.

I think it depends on many factors: the child, whether the child is bfing, overall nutrition, etc.
#22 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM

My DD has rarely been sick. She's had colds...but the worst was an ear infection. She had the stomach flu...threw up once and then slept for 5 hours and woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed bounding around the house. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I was down for the count for 2 days.

I believe that it's not just not vaxing...it's nutrition and all that other stuff rolled up. I know some kids who are vaxed and rarely get sick...but they are fed very healthy foods, plenty of rest, etc. But, the VAST majority of people I know who vax their kids...also eat horrible foods...and so they are sick at least once a month.

Not vaxing is definitely not the end all to health issues...but it surely does give a good start.
#23 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for posting! It definitely makes me feel even better about not vaccinating. If kids happen to get chicken pox, I dont think its the end of the world! I remember having it as a kid.

I definitely agree that the immune system of non vaccinated kids can fight off viruses alot better than the vaccinated kids...
#24 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 PM

I think dd had rubella but I didn't want to expose her to other people so I kept her home and I never got around to having her titers checked. She's otherwise only had stomach bugs and mild colds. She's 4.
#25 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Only thing other than the common cold DD has picked up is Rotavirus, and that was pretty much impossible to avoid. My niece's son stayed the night at our house and apparently was carrying it, woke up in the morning on our couch and had...pretty much sprayed the couch with liquid poop. Tried our best to clean it and sanitize it, but with a mess like that, and my DD being 2, it was a no win, she was definitely going to come in contact with some of the germs left behind on the couch. It wasn't a bad case though, nothing like some of the horror stories I read, and certainly not as bad as my nephew had it. Just a week of runny, stinky poop, no vomiting at all even.

Even when she does get a cold, it doesn't seem to hamper her at all. She's sniffly and congested for a day or two, but still as energetic as ever. She's been getting sick less since I instituted a routine. If we go somewhere and any of us touch something that other germy people have probably touched (which is pretty much everywhere), we carry hand sanitizer with us, wash our hands as soon as we get home, take a dose of probiotic (we have strawberry probiotic chewables my DD loves), and Emergen-C for the adults, and airborne pixies (it's powdered airborne in a pixie-stick type package...only massive dose of C my DD will take willingly...we have her convinced it's candy, hah) for DD. So far, no full blown sickies. I might start feeling run down or get a sniffle, but I take some Emergen-C and I'm usually right as rain in the morning. My husband works with money in retail, and lordy...people just cough on their money, sneeze on him, cough right in his face sometimes! So before we started doing this he was bringing home every cough and cold known to man.
#26 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 PM

#27 of 27 Old 01-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Spy

My younger son just got over strep throat/scarlet fever. Prior to that roseola, colds and a few no-name 24-48 hour things. Older son had [probably] roseola as well, colds and sniffles, one serious stomach bug and one pneumonia (10 years old at the time). Was exposed to pertussis a few times but didn't get sick. Neither of them ever had an ear infection or used antibiotics or antipyretics.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page