Veterinarians and Vaccine Choices for Pets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-26-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, yesterday I had to take my dog to the vet, she is an 11 year old Golden Retriever currently having an flare up in one of her ears. She has allergies but no other health history for an 11 year old dog which is pretty good! Well, we haven't taken her to the vet in 5 years and stopped vaccinating her when we had children. Boy, was the veterinarian unhappy with my choices! After doing research about vaccines, while pregnant with my first child, I decided to stop vaccintating our pets altogether! I know you may argue that humans and pets are not the same thing... and of course, simplistically, that's true but on the other hand why would I feel so strongly about choosing not to vaccinate our children and then turn around and disregard all the information I have learned and subject my pets to vaccinations. Problem is, there is not alot of research out there or cross-over discussion about choosing not to vaccinate your pets. I feel I missed the boat on debating a controversial subject. Honestly, I had a hard time defending myself to the vet (hmmm, hard to believe). I just let him have his say and chose not to respond, I didn't think it would be worth it to even have the discussion at that time. Seeing as I was there for an ear infection and haven't been a regular client I felt it might be disrespectful to his practice. I also chose not to mention anything about our personal choice to NV our children, yada, yada, etc, etc... didn't think it was relevant. I would like to be able to defend our choice next time I see him. Any thought on this subject?
Shelly

Shelly DeMeo Birth Doula/Educator, Massage Therapist, Birth Assistant, Echo Tech, Future CPM! Mom to Dylan (6/03) and Sage Aria (1/06).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 PM

There are some threads in the archives about veterinary vaccines & pets you might like to check out: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=149

But I don't necessarily think you'd need to feel obligated to engage in that discussion at future appointments either.
#3 of 10 Old 01-26-2008, 09:56 PM

Can they refuse service? I'd be afraid of that. (Our cat hasnt been to the vet since her first round of kitten shots. But she is recently an "outdoor cat" so I'll bet we have to take her sometime!)
#4 of 10 Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Yes, transformed, they can. I have had service refused for my non-vaxxed cat. I needed to get him neutered and chipped and took him in. The vet said he'd need his shots, so I said, "Okay, but I want to do them once he has recovered from his surgery so that he has a strong immune system." She was recommended as a somewhat holistic vet, and possibly because of that tendency, she agreed to hold off until he was healed. We never went back.

We have since moved. I have no clue what I'll do here when my horses, cat, dog or ferret need a vet for health issues. I guarantee there isn't a semi-crunchy vet within at least an hour's drive, maybe more.

In the meantime, I just hope they don't need a vet. Or, I'll lie as necessary.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Great comments.
This is one website I used to research a bit on vaccinating pets:
http://www.homeovet.net/content/lifestyle/section2.html
I suppose I could print or cite this to my vet... or find another vet if he chooses to be judgemental towards our choices.
I completely forgot that I could ask them to check blood levels for current levels of vaccines in the system. I think they called it a titer? And I had heard that vaccines last in the system alot longer than the recommended frequency for repeat doses. I should probably just avoid getting into a debate or I might be refused service.

Shelly DeMeo Birth Doula/Educator, Massage Therapist, Birth Assistant, Echo Tech, Future CPM! Mom to Dylan (6/03) and Sage Aria (1/06).
#6 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
There are some threads in the archives about veterinary vaccines & pets you might like to check out: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=149

But I don't necessarily think you'd need to feel obligated to engage in that discussion at future appointments either.
That is a great thread... thank you for the reference.

#7 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM

I was a vet tech before I was a SAHM. Your vet most likely was ticked at the loss of income, knowing the vets I have worked for. They have to advise you to get the rabies vax since its law that they have that. They can report you for refusing it. At least here that was the case.
As far as everything else ... I would get a bordetella (kennel cough) vax if the dog was going to be boarded while you were on vacation. Other than that for an adult dog, no.
#8 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I don't know what area you are in, but I noticed in some part of the country a titre check is becoming sufficient for vets, boarding, etc. Of course this was a crunchy area I saw this in.
#9 of 10 Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM

I'm back to defend my profession!

Remember that veterinarians don't deal with insurance (pet insurance is typically reimbursed to the owner, not the doctor). We have to 1. get clients in the door, and 2. charge for our services. Certain services are considered 'shopped,' meaning that people will call for a price check and choose a vet based on that price. Shopped services include spays, neuters, and...vaccines! There's not much markup on vaccines when you consider the cost of the vaccine, the supplies, the overhead, the doctor and technician time. No vet is getting angry because of a 'loss of income.'

At our clinic, we do very few vaccinations. We recommend the puppy and kitten series, and we absolutely see those diseases fairly regularly. We recommend rabies to be compliant with local regulations. We're flexible, though, and base our recommendations on the pet's lifestyle. I would never fire a client for not vaccinating. If you understand the risks (the big one being a possible confrontation with animal control), then the decision is yours. If I found out someone intentionally lied to me, though, yes, I would ask that person to seek care elsewhere.

Here's the problem: most vaccines are labeled for annual revaccination. If we follow the label and your pet has a reaction, we're legally liable. If we go off-label and tell you it's fine to give the vaccine every 3 years and your pet gets the disease, we're legally liable.

Another issue was presented by some of the previous comments. When vaccine protocols started changing, most vets began sending reminders for exams, not vaccines. And owners stopped bringing in their pets. This certainly is a problem for the clinic on one hand (we're not non-profit...we need income to keep our doors open, and I expect to get paid for my work as would people in any other profession). Also, pets age considerably faster than humans and they're excellent at hiding symptoms until disease has progressed, so this became a problem for the pets, since the diagnosis of chronic conditions was delayed. Often things changed over time and owners weren't really even aware of a problem.

Like I said, we don't vaccinate much, but our owners bring in their pets for exams and routine lab work once or twice a year, depending on the age of the animal.
#10 of 10 Old 01-30-2008, 02:03 PM

I have a 15 month old kitten which we found abandoned and nursed with formula. Barney was doing wonderully until we brought him in for his first series of vax at 8 weeks of age. Within the week, he became congested, lost his appetite and slept a lot. We nursed him back to health by feeding him canned food and water...(dipping our fingers in the food and making him eat and drink). We took him to the vet who said he had a lower respiratory infection and they prescribed Clavomox which did nothing. He eats and drinks and plays now but I still hear a crinkly paper sound when I put my ear on him and he inhales. He plays for a couple of minutes and lays down and he still sounds congested and sometimes breathes open-mouthed after activity.

He had been diagnosed with a heart murmer which the vet now thinks is causing these symptoms. But why would he sound congested? How is that connected?They want to do an x-ray. It's just strikes me as very odd that he was a very healthy kitten until the vaccinations. I would like to ask the vet tomorrow what they think about that. I get so mad that consumers are powerless, unless we do all this research and ask questions. I only recently learned about vax for babies and possible adverse effects. If I hadn't talked with the right people I would be clueless. And I try to look into everything. But you would just think that some things are safe. Arrrgh. All our cats are indoor and our dog just goes outside to potty (of course! and play)...so why does the vet keep sending out notices to vax out pets???

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page