Study finds a new link between MMR and autism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The researchers found that autistic children who had been exposed to certain viruses in the past showed unusually high levels of antibodies to brain proteins, suggesting an autoimmune response. Their findings appear in the October issue of the peer-reviewed journal, Clinical Immunology and Immunopathology.
Quote:
The strongest link found in the autistic children was between measles virus antibodies and anti-MBP, suggesting that exposure to the measles virus may trigger an autoimmune response that interferes with the development of myelin, says Singh. If myelin in the brain doesn't develop properly, nerve fibers won't work as they should. This could be one way that the brain abnormalities associated with autism arise.
Quote:
In the U-M study, almost all the subjects had had MMR immunizations, and none had ever had a case of measles. It is possible, however, that some might have been infected with measles virus but never developed symptoms of measles, says Singh.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1031181106.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM

That's from 1998, you can look at the autism trial transcripts for a very nice, well researched and supported tearing apart. (also of the 2002 and 2004 studies- and I use the term studies loosely when talking about these two)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 02-13-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even look at the date of the study - I just heard about it on my local news station last night and googled it this morning. I thought it was a new study. Perhaps there is a newer study or is my local news station just reporting on out of date stuff?? Funny.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:19 PM

well, there is a measles outbreak going on and the issue of nonvaccination is bound to come up as it has been reported that all the cases thus far are in unvaccinated individuals (some too young, some seem old enough which would suggest they were not vaccinated for other reasons).

Lots of people still believe this work (lot of them are here!); so I am sure they would be interested in seeing Singh's work again (still a leading voice in the mmr/autism theories as well as now the thermerisol theory as well)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)

User Tag List