Life with an unvaccinated child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I receive so much information from this forum, and I appreciate every bit of it. My daughter is 12 weeks old and not vaccinated. I'm still trying to decide if I will delay vaccines or skip them all together. My question is for ladies whose children are unvaccinated. Do you take your child out in public, and just live life like a normal person, or do you stay at home as much as you can? I work full time, and my daughter is in a home daycare, so she is exposed to two other children. I also like going out to restaurants and shopping malls, and my daughter accompanies me almost every week. Is this safe practice since my daughter is unvaccinated? I mean, I know I can't shelter her, and I know she needs exposure to build her immune system. I belong to another vaccine forum, and most of the women stay at home with their babies, so I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong bringing my baby out in public.

I'm constantly worried about my daughter, and I just need to be at peace with my decision not to vaccinate her. I would appreciate any advice and information on how other parents raise a child who is unvaccinated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesestick View Post
Hello everyone! I receive so much information from this forum, and I appreciate every bit of it. My daughter is 12 weeks old and not vaccinated. I'm still trying to decide if I will delay vaccines or skip them all together. My question is for ladies whose children are unvaccinated. Do you take your child out in public, and just live life like a normal person, or do you stay at home as much as you can? I work full time, and my daughter is in a home daycare, so she is exposed to two other children. I also like going out to restaurants and shopping malls, and my daughter accompanies me almost every week. Is this safe practice since my daughter is unvaccinated? I mean, I know I can't shelter her, and I know she needs exposure to build her immune system. I belong to another vaccine forum, and most of the women stay at home with their babies, so I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong bringing my baby out in public.

I'm constantly worried about my daughter, and I just need to be at peace with my decision not to vaccinate her. I would appreciate any advice and information on how other parents raise a child who is unvaccinated.
Him not being vaxed makes no difference in our daily lives, I actually run a daycare in my home!!! He's much healtheir than his fully vaxed sister, and his fully vaxed friends in my daycare.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 AM

My twins are completely unvaxed and we still enjoy life. I will say though, the last 2 winters (they will be 2 next month) we have kept them out of public during RSV season. They were also preemies so thats a factor for us. But we still venture out during the winter months, we still have play dates with friends, visit people at their homes and have visitors here as well. We just avoid public places like the mall, shopping centers, etc. But when its not RSV season, we enjoy everything like everyone else. Zoos, malls, out to dinner, shopping, etc. Starting next winter tho, the restriction is up too, so we will enjoy things year round instead of just warm months.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 AM

My children's vaccination status has no bearing on our day-to-day lives. I have a 10 yr old, 3 yr old and a 13 month old. Only the oldest has recieved any vaxes, and he's only partially vaxxed. We've never had an issue or cause for concern.

Additionally, my middle child is immunocompromised (due to asthma meds) and he's attended daycare (from 9 months to 2.5 yrs of age, when I became a SAHM). He's gone to playgroups, plays on the nasty mall playground,goes to bounce houses, etc.

There is no reason that you should be a recluse because your children aren't vaccinated. Focus on keeping their immune systems as healthy as possible which will allow them to "fight off" the germs they encounter.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 AM

No vaxes here and we do all the things "normal" people do.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 AM

I tended to keep my newborn pretty close to home the first 3 months of life, not because she wasn't vaccinated, but because she was a newborn.

After that, life was normal.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:02 AM

Life is absolutely normal here, with two unvaxed kiddos!

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
Old 02-17-2008, 01:07 AM

Nope, don't stay home. My #2 is completely unvaxed and took/take her everywhere with me.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-17-2008, 01:17 AM

no vaxes, and we are incredibly active. we're always out and about.

even if you vaccinated, would you still worry? because they don't work 100%.

there are some great books out there that are good to have on hand just in case your child does come down with something, whether it is a vaccine available disease or not. i like "smart medicine for a healthier child" by janet zand, as it has conventional allopathic as well as herbal, homeopathic, nutritional, reflexology and chinese medical treatment approaches to common childhood illnesses.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 AM

My kids have gone to kindergarten, been homeschooled, gone to Early Intervention, gone on ariplanes, gone on vaction, been to a zillion parties, a zillion LLL meetings, many corporate functions, restaurants, trains, funerals, summer camp; day and overnight, sleepover, movies, theater, playgroups, baby massage, Gymboree, DisneyLand and DisneyWorld....subways....flea markets...fish stores, markets....been a Show and Tell item for big sibs...the youngest at 8 days old...
Old 02-17-2008, 02:15 AM

Dd is unvaccinated.

We go to playgroups. We go to children's museums. We go to the park. We go in crowded places. We go to restaurants. She comes to school with me where I work part time. I don't even really worry about washing hands. She's always been very healthy.

-Angela
Old 02-17-2008, 02:38 AM

Not a single vaccination ever for either of my two, and we go everywhere and do everything normally.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:29 AM

life as normal, yep

there's seriously a whole forum of non-vaxing folks who stay at home more because of not vaxxing??? if they're that paranoid of not vaxxing....then....?

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 AM

My son, who is 8 1/2 months, does everything any other child would do.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 AM

My youngest two are unvaxed and they go everywhere the rest of us go. My four year old is in preschool with other children, we go to parks, museums, and anywhere else anyone else would go to.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 AM

I'm a mother of 5 unvaccinated children ages 3-22 and in all these years, I have never kept them away from anything and they have all done just fine. None of them have had any ear infections or other serious problems. I remember when my first was young and we would go to the Salvation Army to look for goodies and she would get a toy and start mouthing it.(I know that sounds a little gross) She didn't get sick from it. None of them got sick from riding in shopping carts or going to festivals or playgroups or school. I even did childcare in my home back then without incident.Actually, I think that they are better equipped to be in the public unvaccinated because their immune systems are strong and they deal with germs in a healthy way. Hope that helps!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Dd is partially vaxed (before I knew there was an option not to) and ds is completely nonvaxed and we do everything. Right now I haven't been taking ds out as much because there's some nasty tummy bugs going around. But the weather has been bad and we've all been staying home a lot.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 PM

We generally live life as normal, although I do search out illnesses like CP for my kids.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 PM

My DD is 5 1/2 and she's been in everything and everywhere. She's done just fine. I didn't take her out too much in her first 3 months, but mainly because I just didn't have anywhere to go (I was a new SAHM and new to the area we lived in, so I didn't know too many people/places). With my son, however, he goes everywhere we go...my DD's swimming lessons, her school, playgroups, LLL meetings, etc, etc, etc.

They're both fine.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:29 PM

My son is almost 6 months and we bring him everywhere. For the first 2 months or so I was a little more cautious and asked people if they were sick before holding him but that was more because I didn't even want him getting a cold. Now I'm not worried at all. We go to the mall, grocery store, planes, LLL meetings, buses, etc. It just doesn't worry me. Yesterday we were at a huge convention with over 100,000 people and I didn't think once about all the people and their germs.

I must say that I do worry a lot about hand washing but I was like that before I had him. I just like to wash my hands and I really feel it helps keep me healthy.

This is a little spin off to this conversation. When you go out to dinner do you moms mind if your baby is chewing on the high chair and table? That grosses me out! I try to wipe it down before hand but it still makes me gag thinking about licking the table.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My DD is 3 and completely unvaxed. She's not sheltered in any way. In the summer, she plays in the park/playground (although it's not fun getting a splinter out of her hand from old wooden equipment or tending the constantly scraped knees--the end result of a fun day of playing), goes swimming, plays in the fountains of the government grounds with the thousand other kids there, goes to playdates, etc....in winter it's indoor playgrounds, more playdates, malls, etc. We've travelled to Europe and gone on other holidays and we've never let her vaccination status negatively influence our lives. On the contrary, she is the healthiest kid I know...never had an ear infection, only 2-3 colds so far in her 3 years, never has GI tract troubles. Many of the vaccinated kids I know who are supposed to be healthier always seem to have diarrhea, ear infections, respitatory infections...so I'd say that the bonus of my DD being healthier is that we get to do more and live a fuller life.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
My unvaxed children are now 10 and 8 and my life with them as babies, toddlers was not any different from my life with their oldest sibling, who was under-vaxed according today's standards. Frankly, I didn't give one thought to their non-vax status as babies and took them anywhere I or they needed to go, without fear of disease. Now that they are much older and are robust healthy, well adjusted kids the thought still isn't part of my reality.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Keep in mind there are plenty of diseases that get spread in public places for which there are no vaxes ... like colds. My son is partially vaxed, and I've never worried about him mixing with other kids. At a year and a half, he's had his share of colds - but never an ear infection. So I think his immune system is pretty solid.

Besides, even if you fully vaxed your child, would you keep him home before the age of his/her (for example) MMR, "just in case" he/she is exposed to measles? I wouldn't.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:05 PM

I was briefly vaccinated as a baby and ended up nearly dying, hospitalized twice. So my mother thankfully started doing research and I was not vaccinated anymore. She also did not vaccinate my 2 sisters and 1 brother. We all grew up healthy.

My children are all not vaccinated, I have six children. My oldest is 11 and my youngest is 3 months old. They are all healthy. Three are in elementary public school with a religious exempt form here in FL. We go to amusement parks, city parks, libraries, grocery stores, and any other public place you can think of. They get an occasional cold or flu but are otherwise very healthy.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM

We go anywhere and everywhere, I cant remember the last time their vaccination status crossed my mind in fear of something. I suppose when we were very new to non vax, but now I don't even think of it.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:53 PM

Life with my unvaxed is exactly the same as my fully vaxed. I often forget her not being vaxed even when she gets sick. I don't live in fear of sickness.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 PM

i don't worry about going anywhere with my unvaxed son. he has never been sick and im still bfing but i don't think i will ever really worry. most of the diseases he would be vaxed for are very rare here anyways.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
My twins are completely unvaxed and we still enjoy life. I will say though, the last 2 winters (they will be 2 next month) we have kept them out of public during RSV season. They were also preemies so thats a factor for us. But we still venture out during the winter months, we still have play dates with friends, visit people at their homes and have visitors here as well. We just avoid public places like the mall, shopping centers, etc. But when its not RSV season, we enjoy everything like everyone else. Zoos, malls, out to dinner, shopping, etc. Starting next winter tho, the restriction is up too, so we will enjoy things year round instead of just warm months.

My twins were born at 30 weeks and are 20 months now and are completely unvaxed. I am just extra carefull in the winter months, but we are active in church and run everyday errands.

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 PM

I don't even honestly think of their vax status. Life is no different...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM

My grown dd has two completely vaccine-free children ages 4 and 2 and she takes them EVERYWHERE. Her kids were out in public at 6 weeks of age, have been flying across the country and have been overseas every summer.

She is a social butterfly. She belongs to every mommy-baby group in her area. LLL meetings, play groups, kiddy classes (music and foreign language Kindergarten), church...

Her kids are the healthiest kids in all the play groups. When they get sick, they get very sick (fever 104+) for a day. Sometimes just for an afternoon and then they are right back. It is amazing!

She has never given either one as much as a Tylenol. Nothing!

User Tag List