Measles and Mumps question.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are not vaccinating as of now, I have not decided whether we will do a couple individual ones on my 2 1/2 year old or not.

I am looking at Measles and Mumps right now.....on my local Mommies board there is a discussion about MMR. I am pretty sure everyone on there vaccinates. Anyway someone just said Measles is fatal in 1 in every 1,000 cases?? Is that true??

Also someone said if you are exposed to Rubella during pregnancy there is austism link if the mom is not vaccinated?? That's crazy....I thought I read that vaccinated moms AREN'T passing on the natural immunity...but nothing about autism.

I was wondering about mumps and boys with the chance of becoming sterile.
#2 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Now a few more things someone posted that I wondered about....

"The 1 in 1,000 figure is from Wikipedia and is actually conservative; several reputable medical publications cite the fatality rate as 2 in 1,000 or 3 in 1,000 in the Western world - it's as high as 1 in 10 in nonindustrialized nations.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic259.htm

"The acute child fatality rate in industrialized nations is only 0.1-0.2%, compared with a 2-10% fatality rate in children in the developing world. The larger incidence of measles in developing nations combined with the higher fatality rate contributes to close to 1 million childhood deaths per year."

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdf/10.1086/381555

"Although measles is often a mild disease, it can be severe and complicated by pneumonia, diarrhea, or encephalitis. In the developing world, preexisting conditions such as nutritional deficiencies, combined with limited medical care, result in case-fatality rates as high as 340 deaths per 1000 measles cases [1]. Access to hospital care in the United States, combined with a high standard of medical care, limit the case-fatality rate of measles to 3 deaths per 1000 cases [2]."

When there was a measles outbreak pre-vaccine, it was pretty easily contained because most people did not travel to the extent that they do today. Healthcare in this country is pretty good, so people don't usually have as many other acute or chronic diseases to create further complications of measles. There was also pretty good herd immunity, because people became immune after having the measles, and that limited further outbreaks.

There was a series of outbreaks in 1989-1991 because a number of people had no immunity to measles either from the vaccine or from previous exposure. This is certainly still a risk, because as in the Omaha outbreak of rubella or last year's measles outbreak in Boston, one infected person can enter the country and expose many others, who can go on to develop and spread the virus if they are not immune. Children aged 0-5 are at a higher risk of complications and death from measles if they contract it."

Now they are talking about how it's our duty as a citizen to vaccinate our children....it might not even be worth fighting.

I wasn't worried about measles, but should I be??
#3 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

What would you say to this??

This may be totally wrong on the subject (cuz its been awhile since bio 101) but don't viruses tend to mutate within a host? So, say a foreigner comes over and infects a non-vaccinated child and it spreads quickly to some other non-vaccinated children (and some that are vaccinated). Won't the host availability for the virus facilitate mutation? So that, those that ARE completely vaccinated will no longer be immune? I can't remember when I heard that. If that is the case, then it definitely seems like everyone is getting screwed by those that choose to not vaccinate at all.
#4 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 06:02 PM

I always say to check many different sources on the subject, here is a start on Measles and it is talking about the stats you saw:

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=65

My understanding is that mumps is usually pretty innocuous. Rubella is also, for the child. The reason they give children the rubella vaccine is because if the child catches the virus they can then transmit it to a pregnant woman, and it can cause congenital rubella syndrome.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#5 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Sterility in Mumps usually comes from improper care during the duration. Complete rest is recommended, with very little being up and about.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Jackson View Post
What would you say to this??

This may be totally wrong on the subject (cuz its been awhile since bio 101) but don't viruses tend to mutate within a host? So, say a foreigner comes over and infects a non-vaccinated child and it spreads quickly to some other non-vaccinated children (and some that are vaccinated). Won't the host availability for the virus facilitate mutation? So that, those that ARE completely vaccinated will no longer be immune? I can't remember when I heard that. If that is the case, then it definitely seems like everyone is getting screwed by those that choose to not vaccinate at all.
Why in the world does it have to be a foreigner? Diseases don't infect people by their green cards or lack thereof. The US isn't the only one with a vaccination program. This same scenario can happen to anyone here in the US who is a citizen...MMR immunity wears off, so anyone here in the states can spread it to anyone, vax'ed or not. The vaccine isn't 100% a guarantee that people will not get M, M, or R. Titers in blood show only exposure, not immunity, so if you have an outbreak, theoretically anyone can get it, vax'ed or not. Measles is a relatively mild disease in most people, provided it's treated properly.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#7 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Why in the world does it have to be a foreigner? Diseases don't infect people by their green cards or lack thereof. The US isn't the only one with a vaccination program.
I think she brought this up because if you go to the CDC's MMWR page where they list the cumulative statistics for cases of communicable diseases, they do indicate whether the person with the disease recently came here from somewhere else. And when I was doing research on the MMR, I seem to recall that the majority of measles cases were brought into the country by foreign travelers. Of course, that could have changed.
#8 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Anyway someone just said Measles is fatal in 1 in every 1,000 cases?? Is that true??
Could be? Kids in Africa who are starving to death and drinking filthy water...yeah, I can see that, when they get measles it's like the last straw. But our kids are not in that situation so this sort of information is of no value to us. Why would they give that sort of information? Can only be to frighten moms. There is no other reason.

Quote:
Also someone said if you are exposed to Rubella during pregnancy there is austism link if the mom is not vaccinated??
No, so far they have not come up with that scenario but give them time. Unfortunately there is not enough Rubella going around in the US or Europe to make such claims. So, no.

Quote:
I was wondering about mumps and boys with the chance of becoming sterile.
How can boys become sterile from mumps. You mean men? Yes, men could if they get mumps and it affects BOTH sides of their testicles. But it is so rare that there are no stats for it only (false) rumors.
Boys can NEVER become sterile from mumps. They have to be at the age of puberty before that can happen.
#9 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Won't the host availability for the virus facilitate mutation?
Of course.

Quote:
So that, those that ARE completely vaccinated will no longer be immune?
Right.

Quote:
If that is the case, then it definitely seems like everyone is getting screwed by those that choose to not vaccinate at all.
How is that?
Explain it. I am listening.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page