Is anti-vax becoming more mainstream? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Or am I just running in crunchier circles lately?

I've talked to two young-ish (20s) parents lately, neither of whom are vaxing. One was my new chiro, so that's not a huge shocker. But the other was this girl I've befriended at water aerobics. Somehow the subject of shots came up, and she said her two-year-old has only had a very few vaxes, because she doesn't feel they're safe or necessary. I told her I felt the same way, and after much research, I haven't given DD any shots since she was 24 months. She said, "They say they need all these shots for kindergarten . . ." I filled her in on how easy it was to get the religious exemption in our state, and you could just *see* the relief on her face.

Most of the time, I feel like not vaxing is this secret I carry around, so it's just nice to run into like-minded parents who don't give me the evil eye when it comes out.

Nichole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It seems like most of the people I hang out with now don’t vax but at the same time…I have to remember that I sought out like minded friends. If I were to go back 2 years and think of all the people in my life at that time then I would quickly realize that not vaxing is considered very rare in most communities.

I agree that more and more parents are questioning the schedule which is a huge step.

Isn’t it nice when you run into like minded people?
#3 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't be surprised. The number of recommended vaccines keeps increasing with no end in sight. I think the issues with the current vaccination program are being talked about more in the mainstream media, as well.

#4 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Among my more mainstream friends (especially one particular mom's group) it's more of a "fad". They're still of the mindset of "doctor knows best" etc etc etc they're just avoiding them for right now because of "the autism thing". It's not that they're being led to read or research, they just "heard somewhere" that a vaccine (but they can't remember which one) can cause autism so they're not doing them until "they have to for school".

Which frankly irritates me just as much as vaxxers who don't research, because either way, you're just blindly following something.
#5 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I wouldn't say it's mainstream now, but parents claiming religious exemptions have doubled or quadrupeled in the past 10 years, so it's definitely something more people are thinking about now compared to the 1980's or 1990's.
#6 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mainstream? Nahh, it never will be. If it does I will gladly eat my words....more than gladly. It's becoming more common to be selective and/or delayed though......except in my area. Exemptions are going up, which has the CDC all up in a tizzy, so there IS progress for sure.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#7 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 05:35 PM

My friends know I'm "scared of vaxes" and that I don't take my kids for every vaccination visit, LOL, but I've never come out and said we don't vax.

However, ever since the Poling story broke, several friends have asked me why I'm scared of vaxes and I have told them, sent links, etc. Now several are delaying. I even convinced my most pro-vax friend to delay and split up the MMR for her son, whose development she is a little concerned about.

So yeah, I think it's going to become more mainstream, at least for a while.
#8 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. The number of recommended vaccines keeps increasing with no end in sight. I think the issues with the current vaccination program are being talked about more in the mainstream media, as well.
ITA. For me, I always wondered what the big deal was until I had my first kid and looked at the vax schedule. I had no idea they'd added so many over the years. That was my first clue that I needed to look into it. I think we're reaching a tipping point where we have so many vaxes, people are starting to wonder why, since *most* people probably don't even know anyone who had Hep A, problems with chickenpox, meningitis, etc...
#9 of 14 Old 03-15-2008, 02:28 AM

I think that more people are actually catching on because so many kids are being harmed by it....i personaly know a few vaccine damaged kids...a few.

The exchange of information is easier also...we now have forums we never had before...but be aware because the government would love to make the internet more difficult for us to be able to exchange all this information which is now the motor for the revolutionary changes in eco-friendly and natural lifestyle we must lead in the future otherwise... well....i don't think you wanna really know the answer to that...but then again maybe you do and maybe that is why we are all here ...

all these pharmecuticals are now showing up in our tap water we are drinking it , bathing it, swimming it, watering our gardens while pharma reaps in a harvest of fear mongering profit agenda, we are also i believe the sickest generation in human history the amount of cancer is unrealistic for a so called healthy society....i think that is also a wake up call to all this madatory medication policy of the pharma government. I sound political and a scary at time but this is happening and it is alot to wrap one's head around...
chemicals...pharmecutical, biotech...it all comes from the same place the people that make the machines that diagnos the disease...are the same people who create the chemicals or bio tech/GM who gave you the disease and also make the pharmecuticals they use to treat the disease.
I don't think it's a fad.... i think it's more akin to an awakening<--at least i am hoping it is.
#10 of 14 Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I think that more people are actually catching on because so many kids are being harmed by it

exactly..whether you know an ASD kid or not (most do by now with the rates so high) - parents are worried that there really might be a connection. they might still be following the vax schedule because their ped wave's away their concern - but there is A LOT of unspoken fear going on.
#11 of 14 Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM

I absolutely think anti-vax is becoming more mainstream. I knew it would one day but not so soon. I feel that as a society we are becoming wiser and learning to question authority. There is still a lot of resistance, but sooner or later, the truth has to come out and then there will be a sea change. Until then, it's very encouraging to see mainstream shows and celebrities speaking out about this once much-more-taboo subject.
#12 of 14 Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM

I think questioning vaccines is definitely becoming more in the public eye; even my mother and aunt were talking about it the other day (and neither really knows that we are S/D vaxers)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#13 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 01:43 AM

Yup, because of news reports it's becoming more common to be a non vaxer. My Stepmom asked me if I was going to vaccinate? I said NO. She said "I didn't think you would because of all the reports about autism lately." And this is from someone who is totally not crunchy.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#14 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think it is definitely getting more common, especially among younger parents. I'm a "younger parent" and many parents we know around our age have either stopped vaccinating or never did to begin with.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page