traveling abroad without vaccines 14 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have chosen not vaccinate our baby since the first time he got them at 2 months. Now we are traveling to Costa Rica (from the states). He is 14 months old, and I'm not sure what the best course of action to take is. We are leaving in 10 weeks and will be there 9 days total. I did some research and it looks like no vaccinations are "required" but there are a few "recommended". Is it something that might prevent us from leaving or is it very dangerous to travel abroad with no vaccines? Do my husband and I need them to be able to go? i know that when i traveled to Nicaragua in '98 I got a few shots, and it seems like i wouldn't be allowed to go without them.
any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. thanks
#2 of 5 Old 03-16-2008, 03:45 PM

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the US does not require its citizens to be vaccinated to reenter the country. I'm also thinking that the only "required" vaccine to go anywhere is yellow fever. When I was traveling in South America I'm thinking that I had to have a certified yellow fever vax to get into Chile from Argentina, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong...

With that being said, I would be reluctant to travel with an unvaxed baby. It would probably depend on where I was staying (resort vs. in a village) etc.
#3 of 5 Old 03-16-2008, 04:11 PM

My younger sister was a Flight Attendant for 7 years she travelled around the world including Costa Rica with no vaccines ever. Nepal,Turkey, Thailand, India etc. She was never vaccinated and had no problem entering/leaving said countries.

Btw, we, my sisters and I were not vaccinated as children which is why my sister did not vaccinate when travelling. It was NEVER an issue.
#4 of 5 Old 03-16-2008, 04:22 PM

No, you shouldn't have a problem, especially with a country like Costa Rica. We took our 2 year old to several countries in Africa and we were never asked anything about vaccinations. I think if there were some sort of extreme epidemic or outbreak of something very dangerous they might make something mandatory but as it is, nothing is required to re-enter the States.

Blessed mama of four
::
#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2008, 04:37 PM

I would take my unvaxed 2 year old to Costa Rica without thinking about it.

It is supposed to be incredible. Have a great trip!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page