stem cell research? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pro choice but still appalled at this practice. Regardless if the cells or genetic material is found in the final vaccine or not, they were still used in the production of the vaccine which I feel is reprehensible - especially if the abortions were done for the sole purpose of harvesting the cells and without the knowledge/consent of the parents.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflower View Post
My DH and I were wondering why the 'Right to life' ers that are opposed to stem cell research aren't up in arms about the vaccines that have aborted fetal tissue in them? I'm sure some are- but I would think they'd make a louder stink about it. We've never heard anything about it. Just wondering what your thoughts are.....
I don't know where the article is, though I know I recently saw it in my apartment, but I kept an article from my local paper from several years ago. A military man, Army I believe, from a local base, was being faced with being forced out of the military, because he refused to allow the chickenpox vaccine for any of his family. He and his family were profoundly religious, and were very vocal about why they were refusing it.

It was a very good write-up, if I recall correctly, but I never saw a follow-up, so I don't know how the story ended for that family.

But I wanted to let you know that there are the occasional stories of families having problems with vaccines for that reason.

Frankly, even though my thoughts on life/choice are so incredibly complicated I can barely explain them to myself, and though they are NOT based on religion, finding out about the cells and where they come from made me even stronger in my conviction to not vaccinate (I had learned about not vaxing in chiropractic school for reasons of keeping a normal immune system, but this added a new dimension). And I think until around now I had kept some myth that that was the only one...but I'm going to be doing some reading from the links in this thread and learning some good info!

User Tag List