Vaccinations circa 1973 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was home for Easter yesterday, I was looking at my baby record book (Yes, I was the first-born and my mom was diligent in filling it out!) and it looks like back then, there were only 3 vaccines that we received~ the DTP, Polio, and the measles. As far as childhood illnesses, I had one ear infection at the age of 1 & a "mild case" of the chicken pox at age 5. I also seem to have a strong immune system to this day (never get colds, no asthma or allergies, etc.). Back then, there seemed to be less autistic, diabetic, asthmatic children as well...just think it's interesting
Right now, the only one I'm seriously considering starting before age 2 is the DTaP (starting at either 4 or 6 months, haven't made up my mind yet). My dd is currently 6 weeks.

Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM

Very similar to mine, was born in 71. mumps, red and german measles too.

I have allergies/asthma, get viruses fairly easy, but I was also formula fed and they also pushed food and cow's milk on infants in those days (some still do at 4mo!).

Yes, looking back when I was little, there wasn't NEARLY as many childhood health issues as we see today. SOMETHING environmental is going on and if anyone denies that their head is in the sand with blinders on. I look at environmental toxins in general (in our food, water, air) in addition to vaccines. Also, isn't the vaccine schedule at least triple the amount that we had when we were that age?

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 03-24-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
Very similar to mine, was born in 71. mumps, red and german measles too.

I have allergies/asthma, get viruses fairly easy, but I was also formula fed and they also pushed food and cow's milk on infants in those days (some still do at 4mo!).

Yes, looking back when I was little, there wasn't NEARLY as many childhood health issues as we see today. SOMETHING environmental is going on and if anyone denies that their head is in the sand with blinders on. I look at environmental toxins in general (in our food, water, air) in addition to vaccines. Also, isn't the vaccine schedule at least triple the amount that we had when we were that age?
Yes, I totally agree with you~ environmental pollution is definately contributing to all the health issues It's really scary.
I was breast fed "on demand with sugar water in between feedings" and started cereal & applesauce at 5 weeks...LOL, my mom says that's what they recommended back then.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM

I was born in 73 too. I got the smallpox vaccine--and I'll always have the quarter sized car on my arm to prove it.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:40 AM

I was born in '74 and had a total of 5 shots from birth to age 5 (and still got the measles).

These days, I believe the amount of shots is up to 36 (some are a series where you get more than 1 shot). I also never got more than 1 vaccine at a time...these days they have the "easy" 5-in-1 shots.

Just mind boggling.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
in 1970, my baby book had entries for "childhood illnesses" and included lines to write in when I got: measles, mumps, chicken pox, and a couple others I've forgotten--the diseases, not the vaccinations.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 AM

There was no vaccination program against measles or mumps when I was born, only tuberculosis, polio and diftheria, if I remember correctly. (Or maybe tuberculosis was later, when we started school?) We were vaccinated against rubella at about 13, but they later changed that because of the risk of vaccinating girls who were already pregnant.

My youngest son's baby book from 2006 has lines for entering when he gets measles, mumps, rubella, whooping cough and chicken pox, even though the MMR vaccine is standard here too.

There is no vaccination against chicken pox here, and nobody goes out of their way to "expose" their children. Most people get it when they are little anyway.

You do seem to have a lot more vaccines in the US at this moment than we do here.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=86

little skit about the current vaccine schedule, including the recommended (but not necessarily required) vaccines.

Thirty-nine by 18 months of age. Counting the combined vaccines as multiples, not as singles.

User Tag List