Flu vaccine/Varivax vaccine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-18-2003, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was reading this article and it reminded me so much of how doctors felt/commented about the varivax(chicken pox) vaccine just a few years ago.I bet in a few more years there will be few nay-sayers to flu vaccines for kids.

<<<

Worth the effort?
Many physicians, however, are not convinced that the benefits are worth the significant investment in time, money and resources to attempt callback of all patients younger than 18 for special clinics during the short window of time that flu vaccine is available. Patients younger than 8, who require two doses at separate times, would be particularly difficult to vaccinate.

"In healthy kids, when they get influenza, they really don't do too badly," said John Dorsey, MD, a pediatrician at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Mich. "We give it to anyone on demand, but we have a big practice. It would take an enormous amount of effort to hold flu vaccine clinics."
http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/amn...3/hlsb0811.htm

>>>>
#2 of 2 Old 09-19-2003, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just thinking of this at my parents house where they had there handy dandy flu vaccine clinic list on the fridge. A few years back (a while before I started investigating vaccines) I took my Mom for her shot. All the politicians were at this clinic shaking hands, keeping people so healthy. I even got a shot that year-FREE at work! (I am soooooo stupid!!) Anyway, what got me is they offered th shot to my then almost 4yo DD! I said No (she is vaxed on the US schedule-poor kiddo!) b/c she was recovering from a rare auto immune disease at the time. they still asked if I was sure!! So they do do it already to some degree! Oh and yes, I now beleive that illness is vax related.

As for the parents, lost freakin' causes. They get vaxed more than the acg. people, really. Dad is a pilot so he goes w/ their travel recommendations-ugh. I do not tell them DS is not vaxed, and we see them several times a week! Oddly, they introduced m e to the amazing chiropractor I have mentioned here- the one with anti-vax posters and books in his office. the one poster disects the poisons in the vax. The yjust think he is ridiculously radical. Oh well. And yes, Mom will ask me to take her for her shot, where Iwill spew the dangers and she will tell me I am wrong and off the wall.

One more thing-at Eckerd drugs you can get discounted Tetanus and One other vax (I forget) with your flu shot this year. :Puke

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page