Who has been denied a religious exemption from a private school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't know if we are doing private or public or homeschool yet. The private option worries me because they do not have to follow the same exemption laws as public, right?

What has been your experience with private schools?

We would not be applying to Catholic schools. Just non-denominational.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I have two children in different private schools and no problems whatsoever. I have to sign the same form as I would have to for public school. But I am in CO and exemptions are easy to come by.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#3 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 01:15 AM

AFAIK, if a school receives any public (state or federal) money - even if it's as little as a milk stipend, they must accept all the exemptions allowed by the state.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#4 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It also depends on your state's laws. Here in WA, a school has to admit you if you are in compliance with the law, which means you either have your vaxes or an exemption. Other states may have it worded differently that will make it possible for an entirely private entity to deny a non-vax child.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
AFAIK, if a school receives any public (state or federal) money - even if it's as little as a milk stipend, they must accept all the exemptions allowed by the state.
How do you find out if they're receiving public money?
#6 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I think the majority of private, non denominational schools DO NOT accept any federal funding though.

The question I always wonder though is that if they claim to accept regardless of race or religion, is denying you if you aren't vaxed religious discrimination?

I am also talking about private schools that would have long waiting lists so getting into all this would just not be worth it to them.

But maybe I am fearing nothing!

More experiences, please!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#7 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
How do you find out if they're receiving public money?
Their financial info should be public record...just ask.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#8 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM

No problems with private school here. I think it would be considered discrimination even in a private school setting?

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#9 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
This is what a school nurse at a Catholic school told me. Another school we had looked at is completely private (but is just prek and k) and will not allow religious exemptions. (we dont have philo in ny.) not sure about medical exemptions, but i think those are really hard to get anyways so i doubt they would see any kids with one of those.

Why not just ask the school nurse if they accept exemptions?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page