Questions About Delaying and Picking and Choosing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been able to make it to the store to get The Vaccine Book yet. For those of you that delay or pick and choose which shots to give can you please tell me how long you delayed, as well as which shots you decided to give, at what age, also the shot you opted against and why.

Right now my son is fully vax -23months(he's due for more at the end of the month but I am waiting until I can make an EDUCATED decision for anymore)
Basically am trying to decide if I'm going to stop altogether or pick and choose from now on, and for our next child.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For one, don't just go by that book. It has some innacuracies and is very pro vax. I would also pick up the books by aviva jill romm and stephanie cave.

As for us, we are delaying indefinitely for now.

NAK.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Sorry, no one else can decide what is right for your child. You need to do the research for yourself.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#4 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
For one, don't just go by that book. It has some innacuracies and is very pro vax. I would also pick up the books by aviva jill romm and stephanie cave.

As for us, we are delaying indefinitely for now.

NAK.
Thanks! I'm surprised to hear that book is pro vax, since it was referred to me by a mom that no longer vax's. She said it was easiest to understand. I will look into the other authors, thanks for the helpful advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
Sorry, no one else can decide what is right for your child. You need to do the research for yourself.
I wasn't asking for anyone to make a decision on what to do for my child, and I am doing my research. My question was, What is everyone else doing and why?
#5 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM

I originally was doing a selective/delayed schedule that I created based on Stephanie Cave's book. Off the top of my head, I believe I was going to do DTaP, Hib, and measles, mumps, rubella separately. When I called to schedule my dd's second hib at around 20 months, I found out it had been recalled. That was a huge red flag for me. My gut had been telling me all along not to vaccinate. Then I looked at my perfect 4-month-old son and felt sick about vaccinating him at 6 months (my original plan). I started really researching--not just reading one or two books--and decided I was much more scared of the vaxes than the diseases. I've been reading whatever I can find time for every day for months now. I don't know if I will ever stop researching.

You need to really delve into it to make a good decision. There is a wealth of good information here. The most important thing to remember is that you can delay until you feel comfortable with your decision. You can't take back a vax. You can always vax later.

My dc's chiropractor, who helped ds so much when he was an infant screaming with digestive pain, told me she thinks the vaccines are very dangerous and she would rather see parents focus on developing strong immune systems in their children. That is what I am doing now. I bring them to the chiropractor every 3 weeks because I saw what it did for my ds in just 2 visits. It can have a profound effect on bodily function. She told me to make sure they eat well (not always easy but I do my best) and get enough sleep. I give them some supplements, too.
#6 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 PM

We are no longer vaccinating, but when we were selective/delayed, we decided to wait at least six months and only do one vaccine per visit. I like Stephanie Cave's book. Good luck on your decision.

It was pretty easy for us to rule out: polio, hib, prevnar, rotovirus, flu, chicken pox, hep b vaccines

Mostly i was on the fence about dtap and mmr.
#7 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 PM

we stopped after ds's 6mths, and didnt o any until last week, ds is 30mths old. We are doing school catch up for preparation to go into special needs preschool, and we are doing 2 vaxes per visit, at one month intervals. This past week we got the 2 meningitis vaxes ( pneumococcal and HiB).

You are probably pretty much caught up for what you need since you have vaxed up to this point, and you can delay certain vaxes as long as you want. Look up your states school mandatory vax requirements to figure out which ones you definatly need if you dont want to file an exemption.
#8 of 9 Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 PM

I would plan on filing an exemption. No reason not to. I would never vax just to avoid getting an exemption. IMO that's an irresponsible choice.

That said. We planned to selectively vax on a delayed schedule. I would not do ANY vaxes before 2yrs- period (which I realize- you're already there- just putting that out there for other readers )

Then I researched each disease and vaccine to decide which to give when.

I did not find ANY vaccines on the current schedule that I felt were worth the risk.

Dd is now 3.5yrs and totally unvaxed and very healthy.

-Angela
#9 of 9 Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM

My dd planned on vaccinating her kid after age 2 y. But by the time he was 2 he was so darn healthy she decided to wait and see...she decided to start researching instead.

Well, he is now 4 and his little brother is 2 and they will NEVER be vaccinated. Both are super healthy and have no allergies or asthma or anything. So why mess with a good thing, right?

We have one other grandson who got vaccinated up to age 15 mo. and his mom stopped vaccinating then. He is 10 yrs old now and has never been back to a doctor since he got that last vaccine.

He uses a religious exemption. It's easy to get and no hassle. It's sort of a personal religion because we are not "religious" people in the sense that most people think of.

Good luck with your decision. Oh and btw, I second not getting the Sears book. I would also say get the one from Aviva Jill Romm - Vaccines: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide.

And her other book is Naturally Healthy Babies Healthy Children. It tells you how to treat every disease and infection naturally. It is super!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page