OT! But please don't move. My baby's sick. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-29-2003, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, everyone. I didn't know where exactly to post this but I trust those in this forum to know something about illness and healing.

About an hour ago my DD started vomiting, and I think she had diarrhea with the last bout of vomiting. She's vomited four times in the last hour, the first was just breastmilk and the rest has been tiny bits of what looks like old breastmilk.

Sorry if I'm overreacting but she's never been sick before and I'm really worried about her. She doesn't feel hot, she's pretty much herself except right before she's going to throw up she seems a little off. Otherwise she's still walking around and babbling playing as normal, if being a little subdued.

My pediatrician's handbook says don't give her anything by mouth for 2-12 hours (depending on age), then start with clear liquids (Pedialyte, etc.). Then if she keeps that down, start on bland foods again.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Does this sound like just a simple virus to you?

New mom with first baby sickness. Help.
#2 of 11 Old 09-29-2003, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My personal response (not a doc or nuthin'!) is that if my daughter is still mostly acting like herself; alert, interested in things, playing, etc... she's probably not very sick. I don't know what kind of handbook you have. I have never witheld breastmilk from DD when she was interested in it while ill. I also make water available. Stay close to her and follow her cues. A fever could come later or the whole thing may be over. Be alert for changes and just give her TLC.
#3 of 11 Old 09-30-2003, 08:47 AM

do you have the smart medicine book? Over on healthy.net there are a few pages online.I would look up the diarrhea one.I think the 2 times my dd threw up in her life I just did breastmilk,water,and a homeopathic remedy.The first time it took a good 5-6 hours before she could hold down her milk.It passed after a few hours.Breastmilk is the best and even if she vomits up most a little will stay in her tummy.

Hugs and healings her way!
sara
#4 of 11 Old 09-30-2003, 09:24 AM

Don't stop breastfeeding. A sick child should still be nursed as long as she wants to. I'd be surprised if she'll take the Pedialyte...I could never get my kids to drink it or eat the freeze pops.

Sounds like a virus to me. If she runs a fever, treat it and continue to bf so she doesn't get dehydrated...that is your biggest concern.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#5 of 11 Old 09-30-2003, 11:32 AM

I have given my kids herbal tinctures during illness.They like the herbs for kids mixes the best.I think they might have one for an upset tummy.I give vitC tablets as well once vomiting has stopped.In the meantime a good probiotic powder for children might help sooth the gut.I am not sure if kuzu root and slippery elm would help.I always have to look it up to see what is best.
sara
#6 of 11 Old 09-30-2003, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
My daughter got sick like this when she was about a year and 4 months. It didn't last long but I did have to stop breastfeeding to keep her stomach empty for a few hours, which helped her to stop vomiting. The vomiting was making her suffer most, even more than the restricted breastfeeding. The only problem was that she nursed for comfort also (obviously) and so she had to go with out her comofort nursing so as to restrict the milk.

It was sad and hard for all of us but over in about 10 hours. I suspect your throught the worst.

This may not be a popular opinion but I think that a totally empty stomach works best for vomiting. For me that means NOTHING for a few hours and then very gradual after that.

Good luck. I hope your baby feels better soon

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#7 of 11 Old 09-30-2003, 11:59 AM

How old is your little one?? Is she exclusively BF'd or is she old enough to be on solids?

Breastmilk IS considered to be a 'clear fluid' so you can continue giving her this. (I know this as my friend's babe is in the hospital and the Doc's told her this.It's only formula that needs to be with-held as the cow's milk proteins can make diarrhea more severe).

If no fever, and babe is on solids, it might just be mild food poisoning. If she's not on solids, it might just be something (dare I say it?) you ate making her a bit more gassy and vomitous . When I was BF'ing DS exclusively, salsa made him very explosive...from both orifices. I wrote a song about it actually .

P.S. If DD is seriously vomiting, it's better to be vomiting breast milk than stomach acid and the dry heaves are NOT pleasant for a babe. As her Mama, you're the best one to guage whether you should withhold the milk or not.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#8 of 11 Old 09-30-2003, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

She's about to turn 1 year on the 19th. So she nurses mostly and has a couple of small meals a day.

BTW, I was wrong about the diarrhea. She had a normal poop this morning. Just the vomiting.

I didn't give her anything overnight, just water when she woke up during the night. Then in the morning I nursed her about 10 minutes at a time about an hour apart to make sure she was going to keep it down. After that we nursed as usual. Whenever she wanted to. She was fine all day. Then I tried to give her a little banana for dinner and she vomited again.

Then her eyes were practically rolling back in her head from exhaustion and I put her to bed. It took about 2 seconds for her to fall asleep.

I've taken her temp a couple of times today and it's normal. I kind of figured she might vomit again at the same time as yesterday. You know how when you're sick you feel better early in the day and then as it gets later and you get tired you start to feel worse. Then we challenged her little tummy with solids and she just couldn't keep it down.

I don't know. Her temp is normal and she was still playing and walking around and smiling until dinner. I guess I'll just keep BF and forget about solids altogether tomorrow. If she vomits again tomorrow I think I'll call the doc.

What do you all think?
#9 of 11 Old 09-30-2003, 10:14 PM

I agree...keep her off solids and offer just the breast.

And, I would call the doc if she vomits again...just for peace of mind.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#10 of 11 Old 10-01-2003, 01:51 AM

It is so sad to see your little one with a tummy virus! Scary too. You are doing everything right! Just take it easy for 48 hours. Don't offer wait for her to ask. Isn't it great to know that they have BM! I'll never forget when I weaned my dd and about a month later she got the stomach flu and I so wished I was still nursing!
Stay well yourself!
#11 of 11 Old 10-01-2003, 11:41 AM

If she has no temp and is still nursing lots, then she's probably not in danger of dehydration. It can happen pretty quick tho and is dangerous for little ones. I think you're doing eveything exactly right. I personally would call my doc (or naturopath) after the 2nd or 3rd day, if only for reassurance and peace of mind.

I hope your babe is feeling better soon. It's SOooooooooo hard to see them suffer

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page