friend has hep. C... should her kids be vac'd? - Mothering Forums
Vaccinations > friend has hep. C... should her kids be vac'd?
candiland's Avatar candiland 12:49 AM 10-01-2003
My friend and her hubby have hep. C. I don't know much about it, but she birthed at home and breastfed her first child for two years and is still nursing her second, at 1 1/2.

Should she have gotten a vaccine for them after their births to prevent the hepatitis from infecting them?

Does breastfeeding do this effectively?

If she has it and gets preggo, does that mean her kids automatically are born with it?

I'm pretty sure both her kids have it, but could it have been prevented?

Tracy's Avatar Tracy 01:34 AM 10-01-2003
I believe..(note 'believe') that hep c does not have a vax... at least from checking this spot on the CDC...

it also appears that children born of hep c positive moms will be born with it....

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...ev_Control.htm

I don't know if there is anything they could have done...

that's my thought after poking around..but others may know more...
Sara29's Avatar Sara29 09:39 AM 10-01-2003
There is no vax for C only A and B.They are working on a hepC vaccine which will eventually be combined with A and B to be given to infants I am sure!

The Smart medicine book by Janet Zand has a good section on Hepatitis and various things that can be done to help the body.It would not hurt for the whole family to look into alternative treatments.
sara
j'smommy's Avatar j'smommy 02:19 PM 10-13-2003
HELLO
I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE HEP C FROM A BLOOD TRANSF WHEN I WAS 6YRS OLD. I FOUND OUT 3 WEEKS AFTER THE BIRTH OF MY 2ND BABY DUE TO VIACORD CORD REGISTRY-THEY TEST FOR EVERYTHING. UNFORTUNATELY MY SWEET BABY GOT INFECTED ALSO. I AM JUST TERRIFIED FOR MY FAMILY. I AM A GREAT MOM YET STILL CANT GET PAST THIS HORRIBLE GUILT! I WISH THEY WOULD PRESCREEN FOR THIS DURING PRENATAL SCREENING LIKE HEP B!
THERE IS NO VACCINE FOR HEP C
I UNFORTUNATELY KEEP GETTING MORE BAD NEWS- I HAD A LIVER BIOPSY AND I ALREADY HAVE CIRRHOSIS, I AM TERRIFIED THAT I AM GOING TO DIE AND MY CHILDREN WONT EVEN REMEMBER WHO I AM. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH AND MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND.
I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY MY POOR LITTLE BABY HAD TO GET THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE TOO! IT IS BAD ENOUGH I DO BUT WHY HIM TOO!!
THANK GOD MY 3 YR OLD AND HUSBAND HAS TESTED NEGATIVE, THIS HAS BEEN MY ONLY GOOD NEWS, HOWEVER MY HUSBAND WILL NOW HAVE TO GET RETESTED SINCE WE DIDNT KNOW THE BABY WAS INFECTED IN THE FIRST 2 WEEKS AND MY DH WAS CUTTING HIS FINGERNAILS AND ACCIDENTALLY CUT THE BABY AND HE WAS WIPING THE BLOOD AWAY WITH HIS HANDS. SO I WILL HAVE TO PRAY THAT HE IS OK NOW TOO.
PLEASE LET YOUR FRIEND NO THAT I AM HERE, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE THAT HAS CHILDREN AND IS A MOM AS A SOURCE OF SUPPORT. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SPEAK WITH HER.
THANKS FOR LISTENING
Deborah's Avatar Deborah 05:14 PM 10-13-2003
That is rough news!

What you need is more information. The course of some of these diseases is quite different in children, so the first question is to find out what your child may or may not be facing.

Second, I've come across mentions of alternative, successful treatment for Hepatitis C. You may not be condemned to disaster, even if the regular medical people are saying that things are hopeless. So do some searches, talk to some alternative practitioners, look for material at the library and hopefully, someone here will also have some valuable info. (Sorry I don't have anything definite, just a memory of having read a magazine article about people recovering from Hep C through alt treatments.)

Of course, as a mom, especially with a new baby, you don't have time to do oodles of research. Do you have a friend who could take this on?

Don't forget to breathe occasionally...I'm so sorry you're going through this!

Nana
Deborah's Avatar Deborah 06:52 PM 10-13-2003
A few more thoughts on getting info:

Call your library reference desk. You do not need to tell them why you need the information and good reference librarians will not ask. Tell them you want specific info on:

1)the prognosis for infants who are born with hep C. Say that you want medical journal abstracts to begin with. Once you see the abstracts you can move on to trying to obtain articles if you need more details.

2)information on conventional and alternative treatments for hep C in adults and in infants.

3)ask if they can search periodical databases, in addition to their in library reference sources and online stuff like pubmed (medline).

4)ask what local (or not so local) organizations can help you get info. Do any of the local hospitals have info services? how about university/college libraries? Can they offer leads to patient associations? (You need to be a bit cautious with patient associations as some of them have been "bought" by drug companies.) (And yes, most of the other sources may have been bought by drug companies, but they aren't pretending to be on your side, like a patient association.)

If the library can provide some materials you can arrange to have someone go in and pick it up for you. Libraries will also mail stuff, fax stuff, etc.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Nana
DesireeH's Avatar DesireeH 02:38 AM 10-15-2003
Jennifer,
I am very sorry. There is alternative treatments. Please look into Hoxsey treatment. I have done their treatment in the past and it worked (not for Hep C but I do have a friend currently being treated for Hep C and he is doing VERY WELL). Here is their contact information:

Bio Medical Center
Tijauna, Mexico 22150
Phone number: (0115266)84-90-11 (call between 9-3 PST)
Mailing address: Po Box 433654, San Ysidro, CA 92143

When you call they will tell you to get these supplements and start taking them immediately (everyone takes these):

Vit C in powder or crystals (3-10 grams daily)
Vit E 400 IU caps twice daily
1 multivitamin and 1 multimineral tablet daily

On top of that here is the specific treatment I took but I know they will add a tonic based on what is your diagnosis:

CoQ 10 (1 100mg capsule 3 times daily)
Ipriflavine 200 mgs (2 tablets 3 times daily)
Yew Tea (3 tablespoons yew needles tea in 4.5 cups of spring or well water) Strain and drink 3-4 cups daily
Orchie Capsules 2 tablets 3 times a day
Calcium 380 mgs (1 tablet twice a day)
Vit C crystals (I took half a teaspoon 3 times a day)

The diet I was on:
No pork
No tomatoes (not even in soup or v8)
NO sugar (may use raw honey or molasses)
No vinegar (not even as an ingredient in bread or mustard)
No alcohol (not even cough syrup or vanilla extract)
No added salt (kelp or herbal seasoner is okay as long as it does not contain lycopenes or tomatoes)
Red meat is allowed only once a week (cutting it out is preferred) (get your proteins from lima beans, lentils, garbanzo, tofu, soy)
Fish and Poultry once a week
lower your dairy intake EXCEPT for natural yogurt
Nuts need to be unsalted
2 quarts of liquid daily is necessary (water, green tea and you MUST drink one pint of 100% grapejuice daily)
Dark and Whole grain bread is okay as long as it does not contain vinegar or enriched or bleached flour

Cooking:
No microwave
Never cook, fry, or boil over an open fire

No sulfa drugs (bactrim)
No pain releivers (except tylonel if needed)
No coffee or black tea
No carbonated drinks

On top of the diet they will give you a tonic specifically for your ailment.
DesireeH's Avatar DesireeH 02:49 AM 10-15-2003
I forgot, I have an email address as well although its from the year 2000 so I am unsure if its the same one still: [email protected]

In the year 2000 cost was around 500 for initial exams/tests and 3500.00 US dollars for the hoxsey treatment (no credit). That is for a LIFETIME. No matter how many times you come back you only pay the one fee. 30% of the 3500 is required on the first visit.

I also have info on local places to stay (in US), how to get there, taxi information, etc. Feel free to PM me.
Up