FLORIDA Exemption Information - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen a few questions lately wrt exemption info in Florida, so I am copying a post from a previous thread,

Florida Law wrt exemptions:

Print out a copy of the law and take it with you if needed.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=Ch1003/SEC22.HTM&Title=->2005->Ch1003->Section%2022#1003.22

Also see this, the ssn on the religious waiver has nothing to do with the SHOTS program, there is a completely different form for opting out of that program, no where does it state you are automatically opted out by submitting a religious exemption.

BEGIN COPY/PASTE:

7) Florida SHOTS (State Health Online Tracking System) Opt Out Provision - Parents or guardians may elect to decline participation in the Florida immunization registry, Florida SHOTS, by completing a DH Form 1478, Florida SHOTS Notification and Opt Out Form, as incorporated by reference in subsection 64D-3.011(10), F.A.C. and returning the form to the Department of Health. The immunization records of children whose parents choose to opt-out will not be shared with other entities that are allowed by law to have access to the child's immunization record via authorized access to Florida SHOTS.

(8) Florida SHOTS Private Provider Participation - Any health care practitioner licensed in Florida under Chapter 458, 459 or 464, Florida Statutes may request authorization to access Florida SHOTS by filling out a DOH Form 1479, Authorized Private Provider User Agreement for Access to Florida SHOTS (Florida State Health Online Tracking System), as incorporated by reference in subsection 64D-3.011(10), F.A.C. The DOH Form 1479 will be returned to the Department of Health for processing and authorization to access Florida SHOTS. Notification of access approval and instructions for accessing Florida SHOTS will be provided by the Department of Health. The authorized user and the applicable licensing authority or agency shall notify the Department of Health Bureau of Immunization Florida SHOTS personnel when an authorized user's license or registration has expired or has been suspended or revoked.

END COPY/PASTE

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...munity/64d.htm

Here's the form to opt out, must be signed by the parent making the request,

http://www.flshots.org/_pdfs/OptOutDH-1478.pdf

And here are the Florida Immunization Guidelines spelled out,

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...choolguide.pdf

You should print this out for your records because they keep changing the links to it. At the very least, print page 18 which explains the religious exemption but mentions NOTHING about any other requirements to obtain,

VI. Religious Exemption from Immunization (DH 681)

A. Request for Religious Exemption:

1. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements
must be presented on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption
From Immunization form (DH 681).

2. The DH 681 is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY
for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious
tenets or practices.

{my note, they have since updated this information, as of March 2007, and lookie lookie what they added to # 2 above. So obviously we are having some IMPACT with these people,}

If a parent requests such an exemption, the county health department staff must use the current DH 681 Form, which has been signed by the parent affirming the written statement on the form that a religious conflict exists.

This form must be issued upon request.

No other information should be solicited from the parent or guardian.

**********************end of newly added info **************

B. Completion of DH 681: The following information must be completed on the
DH 681:

1. The child's complete name, date of birth, and parent or guardian’s name.
The child’s social security number (SS#) is optional.

2. Parent's (or guardian's) signature and date of signature.

3. County health department stamp, signature of the county health
department director/administrator or their authorized designee, and date
the form is issued.

C. Retention of Form: The DH 681 will be kept on file at the school, preschool,
child care facility, or family day care home in order to facilitate identification
of any unimmunized/susceptible children needing exclusion during an
outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease.

D. Consistency With Florida Law: Requests for religious exemption from
immunizations should be consistent with section 232.032, Florida Statutes.
Exemptions for personal or philosophical reasons are not permitted
under Florida law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM

You need to do all that? I never looked that much into it-my dr office just asks me if I need an exmp form for anything and so I figured if I did I'd get it, fill it out etc.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandonsmom View Post
You need to do all that? I never looked that much into it-my dr office just asks me if I need an exmp form for anything and so I figured if I did I'd get it, fill it out etc.
The actual process is not "all that" unless the health dept you go to doesn't follow the procedures.

All you should need to do is request the exemption form, fill out a couple lines, and that's it. However, you do have to get the form from the health dept, no one else is "allowed" to give you one.

User Tag List