Hep B without consent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-19-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I decided on delaying vaccines for our son. We made it clear to all parties that he was not to be given the Hep B vaccine. I even remember the form where it said "declined" under the Hep B part. Well today I got the itemized bill from the hospital and they have the shot on there. So either they are charging me for something I didn't get or they gave my baby the shot without our consent.

Can they give him that even though we specifically said not to? And if so what if anything can I do?

I really hope this is just a mistake in billing. I'm just sick that they could have done this to him.
#2 of 8 Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 PM

It's probably a mistake in billing. BUT, was he ever out of your sight? It's quite possible they gave it anyway if he was.

One of so many reasons I won't birth in a hospital without serious medical reason.

-Angela
#3 of 8 Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Was he out of your sight (or your husband's) for more than a few minutes in the hospital? I'd personally go ask the nurses if this was recent enough... maybe somebody remembers something. And I'd make a big stink about it, too, seeing as you signed a form and they went against your wishes!
#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Oh, and there's really nothing you can do. You can probably get out of paying for it, but that's about it.

-Angela
#5 of 8 Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

He did go out of my sight. I had an unplanned c-section because my son was breech. I asked a nurse at discharge because his discharge instructions mentioned the shot, and she said no he didn't get it, they just put that down as standard instruction. I hope it is a mistake. I just feel so guilty that I could have let this happen to him.
#6 of 8 Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 AM

It amazes me that you don't have to sign a consent form for hepB like the other shots. They were so "careful" when my son was little and went in for shots (which I regret). They peeled the label off the vial and put it on a sheet and had me sign. In the hospital, nothing.

My sister also had an emergency c-section and by then our family had learned about vaccines so she was screaming at me as she was wheeled away, "Stand by the nursery and don't let them give him a hepB shot!" I stood there for two hours and never took my eyes off him and I even banged on the window when the nurse pulled out a syringe. I asked what was in it and she was very angry with me and said, "Vitamin K."

You could perhaps have his titers checked to find out for sure.
#7 of 8 Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 AM

I know it is standard. I think it's likely that it was added to your bill as a standard item. Call the hospital billing department to dispute the charges.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#8 of 8 Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
It amazes me that you don't have to sign a consent form for hepB like the other shots. They were so "careful" when my son was little and went in for shots (which I regret). They peeled the label off the vial and put it on a sheet and had me sign. In the hospital, nothing.
I gave birth in a hospital in Virginia and the Hep B shot required consent, which I did not give.

The vitamin K and eye goop I had to waive, but I had to sign nothing to skip the hep B.

That said, there were lots of errors in our hospital bill. We had to scrutinize the bill and contest several "routine" charges, including charges for IVs that neither of us received.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page