Physician's Desk Reference (PDR)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-04-2003, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOW, talk about a hunk of change! I was thinking about picking up a PDR http://www.pdrbookstore.com/Merchant...egory_Code=pdr it looks like it would be soooo handy, with otc meds not to mention that it has the info on all the vaxs too. It does have the info (from package inserts) on all the vax, right?

Do you know if it has a section on meds/herbs that are safe to take while nursing? I've been using the not so scientific method of: if it's on my list that I got from the OB as safe during pg, and it's in children's meds, then it's fairly safe while nursing.

Also PDR for suppliments looks interesting:
http://www.pdrbookstore.com/Merchant...egory_Code=pdr

and PDR for Herbal medicine
http://www.pdrbookstore.com/Merchant...egory_Code=pdr

Am I on the right track? Are they worth the $$
#2 of 9 Old 10-04-2003, 01:12 PM

I would not pay for a new edition.I would rather get an older one through a library book sale for a dollar or less,or just have the librarian print out pages I want(instead of paying at the photo copy machine!)
Sara
#3 of 9 Old 10-04-2003, 05:10 PM

I don't know if I would buy the whole thing or not, either, but maybe at least these prices would be better for you?

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1856&meta_id=1
#4 of 9 Old 10-04-2003, 05:22 PM

you can get year-old editions at Borders in their Bargain section for 9.99.
i don't think i would use it for looking up things that are safe to take while nursing. i would use Hale's for that. the PDR is going to say that pretty much nothing is safe while nursing as a CYA maneuver.
#5 of 9 Old 10-04-2003, 08:51 PM

Our library keeps the current one available to check out.
#6 of 9 Old 10-05-2003, 12:46 AM

My aunt gave me one for my law school graduation....to this day I have no idea why. It's basically just a collection of package inserts for drugs. These days, most drug companies will have those online at their websites.

We have a copy of the nurse's pocket drug reference.....much smaller, and more compact versions of the same info, like what the drug's compatibility is with other drugs, side effects, etc. I would rather have something like that than the PDR.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 9 Old 10-05-2003, 08:33 AM

...I'd really like to see (or hear about) the most recent PDR to know what the head count on Thimerosal vaxes is-- did they really pull it out.

One thing you might do is go to a Borders or Barnes and Noble and order the book to take a look-- there is no commitment to buy (I've done this before, though not intentionally).

Actually, thanks for getting this started, I think I'll "get" one.

No more human sacrifice!

Ray
#8 of 9 Old 10-05-2003, 01:05 PM

From what I have read, the thimerosal amounts in the PDR weren't changed, (even if the amounts in the vaccines did) I'll have to find some old posts I read awhile back.

Ok, dug up the info,

"In an effort to better understand how a vaccine could be listed in the most current PDR showing that it contains thimerosal when it is no longer manufactured as such, we contacted PDR directly and asked how the information in their reference books is kept current.

The PDR is published yearly by Thomson Healthcare in Montvale, NJ. Manufacturers pay to have their products listed in the PDR and a free copy of the PDR is distributed to office-based physicians. Not all medical products are found in the PDR because a manufacturer may decide for whatever reason not to list a product. Product information found in the PDR comes directly from the manufacturer and is identical to the latest package labeling as approved by the FDA for that product. No changes to content are made by PDR. PDR may reformat the layout of the information but final formatting and content is approved by the manufacturer before PDR goes to print to insure that PDR’s reformatting does not change the content from the original.

Manufacturers have flexibility to make changes to the information on their product in the PDR without submission of those changes to FDA if the new information is considered a “negative” change.

Negative changes include new warnings about their product, or new findings that would reflect negatively on its use.

Changes of information that would be considered “positive” include information that would further promote or serve to increase use of the product and those changes must be submitted through FDA for approval before they can be inserted into the next PDR edition.

Manufacturers can decide at any time to discontinue production, however, once a manufacturer makes such a decision it is not uncommon for them to keep the information in the PDR for at least a couple of years.
The reasons for doing this are varied. Having unexpired product still available in the market,

or a recommendation from legal council that a product listing be maintained are but two of the many potential reasons why essentially outdated information may still be maintained in the PDR.

http://www.ecbt.org/0603textonly.html
#9 of 9 Old 10-06-2003, 07:47 AM

...for the info, thanks for the links.

"every child by two" will be on my special email list.

Ray

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page