pediatric naturopath recommends DTaP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-05-2003, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
nic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a four month old and had wanted to at least delay/selectively vaccinate and maybe not vaccinate at all. We see a naturopath who is no great supporter of vaccinations. So, I've been feeling okay about putting things off until we can really research it. Now my naturopath is recommending we get the vaccination for pertussis. She says there is an epidemic here in Oregon - 374 cases this year compared to 70 last year. Her children, who she did not vaccinate, contracted pertussis a few weeks ago and are quite sick (so this is a bit personal for her obviously). She has a friend whose son had a very adverse reaction to the vaccine some years ago which is what led her to decline the vaccine for her own children. She informed us though that there is a new vaccine and believes that it is much "more refined", with less side effects. She believes that due to the epidemic, the risk of contracting pertussis is greater than the risk of side effects from the vaccine. She also talked about how dangerous pertussis is for young babies. I am really, really conflicted and hope someone will respond with any input, where to go for more info. etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-05-2003, 03:29 AM

It's going around by us too right now. (Illinois). August-October seem to be high months for it in certain areas.

I have to say first that I'm a little biased against the DTP or DTaP shot because I've seen reactions to it, so that's one that really sets me off with a firm NO WAY.

Whopping cough is not fun. It's a long, and hard and scary illness. If your child comes down with it, you don't get any sleep, it's hard to hear them cough and hack and gasp for breath. It's hard to see them sick. And it can last up to three months, and even after, when they cough, it can still sound bad because as Hilary has mentioned in some of her posts in the links she put up, the cillia in your throat needs to recover.

My sister reacted to a DTP shot. It caused irreversable brain damage. She's had a very hard and confusing life. She's damaged enough to not be completely normal, but not damaged enough to truly fit in with most special needs people with nuerological damage.

My son got whopping cough when he was around 17 months. The three months he had it were hard. Some of that time was horrible. But he got through it, without any kind of permanent damage and now has immunity to it.

I got whopping cough when I was 22 in spite of the five doses of DTP given to me from ages 2mo-17 years. The links Hilary put up show I wasn't the only one who was vaccinated but still got it in my 20's or 30's. The vaccine isn't a sure guarentee that you're in the clear.

Having seen both sides, the disease, and a reaction to the vaccine, I'll take the disease any day. To me, two or three months of exhaustion and worry is preferable over a life time of violent seizures, convulsions, trouble when learning in school, muscle and joint pain, hardship, and bitterness, and whatever else that can come from a reaction to a shot.

I'm not going to assume, but your naturopath may not be thinking clearly right now. Her kids are sick. She's tired, and scared, and worn out, and sure, it's easier to go through with life never having to deal with your kids having whooping cough. Especially more than one kid at a time. So yeah, the shot sounds good right now. Anything that will let her get some sleep or a break may sound good.

I think when it comes down to it, you take a chance. If you don't vaccinate your kids, they may never catch whooping cough. Or they might. You just don't know. Just like you can't know if they will react to a vaccine, or if they won't. So it is up to you to decide which bigger risk to take. It's not an easy one, and it requires a lot of thought, and research.

There are ways to treat whopping cough when caught naturally (vit C, A, Cod liver oil, etc). It's much harder to treat brain damage and muscle damage that can happen when there is a reaction.

I don't know if any of this is going to help you, but I just wanted to give you my thoughts.
#3 of 7 Old 10-05-2003, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
take a look at this page..

it appears august is the peak month..

http://www.dhs.state.or.us/publichea...sis/mocase.cfm

also, it would be interesting to know how many of the cases were in people who had been vaxed. maybe a call into them might turn up that piece of the equation.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#4 of 7 Old 10-05-2003, 09:27 AM

...two very important questions.

Are you breastfeeding your 4 month old?

Do you care for your child at home?

Ray

P.S. If the answer to the first is yes, take a look at my "Great Book Alert" and read the last post I made especially. Breastmilk is THE SUPREME PROTECTOR of babies. It's just that simple.
#5 of 7 Old 10-05-2003, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
nic

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies. I really appreciate you taking the time. Yes, I do breastfeed her and care for her at home though I do go out to play groups, library story times, walks to the parks and shops around the neighborhood so though she's not in day care, she still is out and being exposed to other people. You are right that my naturopath is biased right now but boy, is it ever hard to go against medical advice - especially when it is dispensed by someone who you are more inclined to trust and who is very "alternative" comparitively. She really emphasized the possibility of cerebral hemorrhage in young infants with whooping cough. Vaccine issues just scare me and I have not even begun to research the issue enough to feel confident in my decision either way, and now there is this added pressure to make the decision sooner than I had expected. Well, any more responses are very welcome. Thanks again everyone!
#6 of 7 Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 AM

....read Jamie Murphy's "What Every Parent Should Know About Childhood Immunization"

I've done alot of reading over the past 2.5 years and this was the best 150 pages out of the lot.

First, you learn about the power of our masterful immune systems.

You, then, learn about the vaxes.

My son is 20 months and had his measles at 18 months.
With breastmilk, Vit.A, Vit.C and goodpapa's probiotic yogurt he barely had a rash. For the full story go to "convince me to skip MMR"

The reason that we stick to our non-vax status is that he is SO MUCH HEALTHIER than ANY of the vaxed kids we know about.

We also have non-vaxed friends--and guess what-- they are just as healthy as he is.

It's that simple.

When you're trying to assess the information, read the anti-vax, read the pro-vax, you will notice that the details--about human immunity, vax processes and ingredients--- are covered by the anti-vax, not the pro-vax.

It's all about the details.

Procreate, Lactate, Disseminate!

Ray
#7 of 7 Old 10-06-2003, 10:42 AM

I agree with Goodpapa regarding reading the pro vax side of the story as well. That way you can get a more balanced perspective and see who presents more solid researched facts.

I think health decisions for our children need to be made based on facts and not fear. It is hard to seperate the fear from our decisions when we participate in the standard medical machine. (I like to call it sickness managment and not health care.) By seeing a naturopath, you have removed some of that from your interactions and that must make it a bit easier. I can totally understand the confussion and fear that can arrise when an alternative practitioner urges you do get this vaccine.

I think it is good that you have recognized that the vaccine issue scares you and you do not know enough to make a solid decision! I urge you not to make a decision that you cannot undo based on fear and lack of knowledge. Do you feel comfortable postponing any vaccinations until you do the research? You have come to a good place to learn.

I'm still very much in the research mode on vaccines but have gone far enough to solidly know that I will not vaccinate my child. I have moved out of the fear stage and into the stage of knowing enough to know that I am making the right choice for her and her long term health. I had the benefit of my sister's child having a reaction to open my eyes to the problems with vaccines many years ago and lots of time to think about whether they are good for the human body. My nephew's reaction was acute and short term in duration and he is fine thank GOD!!! but it was a real eye opener to his parents and to me.

One thing that has helped me to feel confident in my choice is to really assess the risks of her contracting the diseases they vaccinate for and learning about those diseases. I have been learning how to treat her health should she contract one of them and that knowledge is so reassuring to me should it happen. Knowledge empowers you to not be afraid.

Good luck on your quest for it! This is a helpful bunch!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page