"we don't live in a bubble" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2003, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought that would be a great title for a thread about my day yesterday.

I built up my courage and took dd in for a well-baby check. I had been putting it off until I had decided for sure if we would be continuing vax.

I delayed DD's 6m apt, so when the dr said "she's going to feel a bit like a pin cushion today because she didn't get her 6m shots" I piped up, "actually, I wanted to talk to you about that, we're delaying, possibly discontinuing vax. Do you have many patients who have taken this route, and will that be a problem with DD seeing you?" She said she's seen an increase in parents discontinuing MMR because of autism and maybe 1% of her patients don't vax at all. The dr seems to be a really nice lady and what little comments she did say were very gentle and not terribly pushy. She said "I'm not goint to argue with you" and she didn't. She pointed out pertussis season is on us and she would recommend that one, and I asked "isn't pertussis most common from Sept - Oct?" and she said yes, mostly in the fall. She said to remember that "we don't live in a bubble" and that the viruses/bacteria are everywhere and that she "doesn't have any problem with spraying down a shopping cart with lysol before putting the baby in it". She also said I won't need to come in for the 12m apt since I'm not getting shots, just please call the office with height, weight, head measurements. And that when I come in for the 15m apt I can come in through the back so that I don't have to expose DD to all the sick kids in the waiting room. :LOL I think she was trying passive-agressivly to scare me. She also mentioned that she was doing her residency before HIB and that she's seen a big reduction in meningitis cases since the HIB came out. She also pointed out the various antibodies I would be passing to DD through breast milk as long as I'm immune to them so dd would probably be ok skipping those. Then she said something that seemed funny to me "babies immune systems don't have a memory yet, and the memory usually doesn't develop until 12m" I kinda laughed inside thinking "well then, why are you tinkering with her immune system giving it all these vax if it's not going to ""remember"" any immunity it acquires from them?" but I let it go, because I didn't want to argue either. I only said that I haven't based my decision only on information found at questionable websites, I've been getting all the info I needed to come to this conclusion directly from the CDC, PubMed, AMA etc. She asked "well they're not telling you not to vax", I said no, but they are telling me what these vax have been tested for and more importantly what they haven't". And that was the end of my appointment. I left a little shaky, but all in all it wasn't bad.

Now for the affirming part of my day At dinner last night with FIL and his fiancee, I met her son's girlfriend. Her mother was a nurse, and when she was growing up she had a reaction to DPT. The Dr blew it off, and from then on out, her mom took it upon herself to research vax and quit them for her. She also did all the reasearch whenever they got sick and only took them to the dr to ask the dr to do blood tests to confirm her own diagnosis. They used mostly herbal/natural remedies. She said the prob with dr's is that they are trained so strictly by the book that they forget to think outside the box. She said I was very lucky to have started researching vax and most people don't know to question.

We discussed DS and how he's having as good results with evening primrose oil and zinc for his eczema as he had with steroids, immunosuppressent cream, and anti-hystamine and how unfortunate it was that I had to find that info on my own (much thanks to Amnesiac here on the board) as it was not offered by either of his drs.

So that was my day, started off a bit icky but not too bad and ended pretty well.

Now I just need to do more research on healthy immuno boosting diets. Learn to eat and serve more fresh fruits and veges and cut out more of the processed crap that is a staple in my house.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2003, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what a beautiful posting. congrats on a great well baby visit.

one thing....

Quote:
We discussed DS and how he's having as good results with evening primrose oil and zinc for his eczema as he had with steroids, immunosuppressent cream, and anti-hystamine and how unfortunate it was that I had to find that info on my own (much thanks to Amnesiac here on the board) as it was not offered by either of his drs.

you are a good mom...and your doctors should try a little harder... so many moms have posted how their child's eczema has been exasperated after vaccines...and one wonders what the peds see...

anyway, good work

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 10-07-2003, 02:57 PM

Very happy to read your post.Good job at the appointment! Continued good health for your little one.
sara
Old 10-08-2003, 07:55 PM

Turquoise -- your ped sounds a lot like ours. She doesn't condescend or fight, but she does drop hints. She also doesn't have a sick room. I just called to reschedule an appt so that it would be eearly in the morning -- I figure the air might be a tad bit clearer. We also take him to the back of the office away from the kiddos or wait outside until it's his turn.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

User Tag List