Not sure what to do about vaxing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
seraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read a lot on the pros and cons of vaccinations and my gut instinct with Kaia is to not vaccinate her. My mom's a nurse and she and DH are both on me to do at least some vaccinations. We also live in a CDC red zone for pertussis, which is partly why my mom is so pushy about it. I put them off by saying I didn't want to vax until six months and by dragging my feet I've managed to push it out until seven months. We have an appointment tomorrow with the ped and are scheduled to have the DTaP. Kaia has a cold right now, so we may be putting it off for a few more weeks, but I'm not sure I want to do it at all. I'm not sure what to do. DH has a right to help me decide what to do with our daughter, but if we are in complete disagreement, I'm not sure how to compromise.
seraph is offline  
#2 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 04:46 PM
 
Aster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: offline
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*


double post
Aster is offline  
#3 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 04:48 PM
 
Aster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: offline
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.
Aster is offline  
#4 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 05:11 PM
 
annalily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with aster, you should NOT let her get it when she's sick. I also agree that the dr will likely tell you that the vax is not contraindicated for those with a mild illness but I absolutely would not get it now.

~~~~~~~~
......darn I see Hilary already answered before I could post my reply! :LOL I am too slow!

Anyway, what she said too!
annalily is offline  
#5 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
seraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I should have been more clear - I plan to not vaccinate her if she is still sick tomorrow. She has been on the mend for a few days - Friday was the worst of it, so if she is not snotty or coughing tomorrow we will probably vaccinate. I think. I don't know. I'm so undecided about it. That's the part I need help with, deciding whether or not I should do it at all.
seraph is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 05:29 PM
 
hvl25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by seraph
I guess I should have been more clear - I plan to not vaccinate her if she is still sick tomorrow. She has been on the mend for a few days - Friday was the worst of it, so if she is not snotty or coughing tomorrow we will probably vaccinate. I think. I don't know. I'm so undecided about it. That's the part I need help with, deciding whether or not I should do it at all.

I just recently read somewhere (can't remember now) that you should not vaccinate within 1 month of being sick. I WOULD NOT do it tomorrow, regardless of whether or not she SEEMS to be better. The vax will probably put her right back to being sick, if not worse.
hvl25 is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 05:32 PM
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Where they're pickin' and grinnin'
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is in the medical field and was (is) very pro-vax. I was able to convince him to postpone our ds vax until after age 2. My older child (9) had a mild generalized reaction to her 2-mo vax, she never had another shot after that (that's when I discovered Mothering!). She now has asthma, allergies and severe ecxema. I had no idea there was anything wrong with shots. I thought they were for babies' protection, and surely docs wouldn't give kids anything to hurt them. :
Now I know better. I have remarried, and DH has learned a lot from me about these issues. I'm hoping before our son is 2 I will be able to present enough info to him that he will agree about the dangers of vaxes. Is it possible to convince your DH to wait until after 2?
I also faced an incredible amount of pressure from my family. My mom worked at a hospital. She actually had a doc she knew call me on the phone (woke me up early in the morning) to try to convince me to vax. (I wouldn't talk to him. ) It was really uncomfortable for a long time with my family. They finally let up, though, and no one has mentioned it lately. I guess they gave up.
Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
Definitely don't do any vaxes if she's sick!
Bluegrass is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 10-07-2003, 07:38 PM
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "It's Chinatown, Jake"
Posts: 12,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here is a link to your county health department.

I spoke to some one in epdiemology for the state of california.
as of today's date there are 703 confirmed cases of pertussis in the whole state.
1/3 of those cases were in children 6 months or younger which of course means they would not have even been immunized or not fully immunized.

she indicated that there were 45 cases in Santa Cruz county. She said she recalled it was either a junior high or high school that had the infection.

anyway, you might want to call the county for more info...just so you can know all you need to know... whatever that may be. I wanted to give it to you because I know howhard it can be to search all this stuff.

http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/eh/


one other small voice saying I would wait a bit before giving daughter a shot...feels a bit close to her little sicky. but that is me.

good luck.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

 

Tracy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off