New here too w/newborn, please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2003, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I should have begun to collect this information long before my DS was born. Tomorrow he will be 2 months old and in 12 days, he will have his 2 month checkup. Dr. told us to "think about shots" last time we were there because that is what is begun at 2 months. I stopped vaccinating my DD after about age 2 and she is 7 now, that was with a different father. My new husband doesn't know anything about vaccine danger, (not to say that in a negative way, he would want to know, if given the information) and so he's not too afraid to begin vaccinating. We both agreed that for now we would just tell the Dr. that we want to "put it off" until later. In the meantime, I've got to get busy gathering information and creating my opinion. My gut for years now has told me that vaccination is not what we're told it is, but I just don't have the proof. Of course I do know about thimerasol (My eyes used to swell up when in the past it was the preservative in my contact lense solution) and all of the recent studies. I just read the safeminds review of the Danish study this evening. I am also keenly aware of the big-business, money-making aspect of pharmaceutical companies. That is the main reason I know that there are huge truths being hidden about vaccination. Ok, I'm rambling, but I just want you all to get an idea of where I'm coming from. We're a veg. family, eat as much organic as possible, no chem-lawn ever (love dandelions and purple-blooming creeping charlie in the spring). I breastfed my daughter til age 2 1/2 and will BF my DS as long as he wants as well.

Hilary and Goodpapa, I liked what you had to say in another thread here. I like the proof (graphs and stats) and what also seems to be your intuitive escape from mainstream thought. Anyone, please, if you can, give me a crash course and some direction.

Oh, one last thing, I have the Mothering book "Vaccination, the Issue of our Times". It is not up-to-date (copyright 1997) and doesn't have anything in it about Hepatitis B, which is the shot DS should be getting this month.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, first of all you do not have to have all your research by dd's well baby visit. So, good for you for not buying into the hype of having your opinion figured out by the 2month appointment. That just burns me when doctor's put moms on the fast track....for goodness sake, I barely could manage a shower those first two months.

anyway take your time... and please take a look at my cheat sheet, I think it might help in your research....

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=57794

good luck

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 10-10-2003, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

So cool, Trabot, I just skimmed through your link and it's a huge help. Gave me lots of starting points. You're right, we shouldn't let anyone elses schedule put pressure on us. Thanks a million. Gotta go feed my boy.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was like you in the beginning. I was nervous about the dr appt so I brought my mom as backup! LOL (She has a big mouth and is 6'1...LOL) But I just told the dr I dont beleive in putting toxins into a developing immune system so if we get them it will be when he is much older (even though I dont have plans to vaccinate at all). He told me to tell him when I am ready whenever that is and wrote in his chart, they havent asked since. I would go with your gut, if you feel its not good then put it off. I mean should you decide to get them for some reason you can always get them later. No need for a 8 week old. Hep B I said no to. Its not like a baby is gonna be having sex or shooting up drugs anytime soon.

Desiree

Old 10-10-2003, 04:09 AM

Wow Trabot! I am soo impressed (and overloaded at the moment, but I will soon assimilate all this new knowledge). Thank you for keeping this easy and simple.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 AM

..."intuitive escape from mainstream thought"....

...I like you already...

...I also call it the "Tyranny of Media-crity"

I've done alot of reading in the past 2.5 years, but the best 150 page "crash course" I had was Jamie Murphy's "What Every Parent Should Know About Childhood Immunization"

If your husband reads it, I guarantee he'll be on board-- or I'll buy the book from you double-your-money! (LOL)

Has your 7 year old had any childhood diseases? (mumps, measles, chickenpox)

IMO, it is necessary to search these out and obtain their natural immunity

Read "convince me to skip MMR" for my son's breeze through Measles at 18 months--- he's now 20 months.

I'm big on greens--- purple-blooming creeping charlie---tell me more!

Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food
(Hippocrates)

Ray
Old 10-10-2003, 10:43 AM

Lots of times peds will argue "well if you're not going to get anything else, AT LEAST get hib... " so you might check out this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...threadid=22864
Old 10-10-2003, 07:49 PM

These doctors just get me so mad sometimes! I chose not to vaccinate either of my children. I have heard all about these vaccinations at every doctor visit I go to. When ds was born, I actually dreaded his 2 month visit and going through the whole story of why I will not vaccinate my kids. I have had to sign a refusal sheet EVERY visit since dd was born (she's 4 now). When we moved to another state, I had to find a new doctor and again I got anxious about how they would treat me when I said no vaccinations. They turned out to be great about it and she even told me that at toddler age they really DON'T need the vaccinations that they have a good immune system. So, why should I give it to my infant? I'd much rather *risk* not getting the vaccinations, then to *risk* what might happen to my child if I do give them the vaccinations.
Teniece
Megan 8.10.99
Jacob 10.22.01
Old 10-11-2003, 04:44 PM

I was never vaccinated nor were my eight siblings -

nor were my four children.

Case closed

User Tag List