Need help with composing a letter to Wal-Mart! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-10-2003, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Or, help me with what I should say, verbally!

I called our local Wal-Mart, and NOW they say they WILL be offering the Flu-Mist vaccine in-store! This, after they told me just a week or so ago that they would not have it. Sigh.......

Anyway, I want ideas on how to go about complaining on their offering this product in their store. They are in the process of turning what as been a regular store into a super-store (with groceries), set to open in two weeks. Yeah, we want to have Flu-Mist around foods! Nothing like idiots getting their noses sprayed and then goin over and sneezing on the fresh produce.....yech....

For those of you that HAVE protested this offering in your local pharmacies (Wal-Mart or otherwise), what did you say and how did you approach them about your concerns (phone calls and/or letters)??

What reactions, if any, did the stores have?

I want to really let them have it. This store is the only general merchandise store within 90 miles of where we live (seriously!), so it IS a store most people NEED to frequent.

HELP!!

Thanks, in advance!

Leslie
#2 of 6 Old 10-10-2003, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Leslie, I haven't gone head-to-head with our local Wal-marts yet (we have 2 stupidcenters, er, supercenters), but I have worked for one of them so maybe I can give you some ideas.

First, before you draft out your letter. Check out the recent posts here about flumist/wal-mart. Then go read the official website about flumist. Specifically read the contraindictions, side effects, etc. Then sit down and write out your letter. Try to stick to facts, and try not to insert too much opinion. I know that sounds bad, but trust me on this. Wal-mart management is notorious for being bull-headed. I think they send them to school specifically for this. Try to focus on the small babies and children who are frequently in the store. Don't forget the elderly, and the fact that people don't wear signs saying they're immunocomprimised. (pls. excuse my spelling today) Point out that, according to the Flumist official website, insert, whatever you choose to use, that these are the exact people who should not be exposed, and how they could possibly be exposed if your store administers this vaccine.

Then you make multiple copies, send one to the pharmacy manager and one to the general manager of the store. If they decide to follow through and administer the vaccine anyway, you take the other copies and you send one to your local newspapers, pass them out to everyone you know, etc. Wal-mart hates to be the bad guy in their community, because y'know, it's just not good for their image...

HTH,
Carrie
#3 of 6 Old 10-11-2003, 11:35 AM

I called our Walmart Pharmacy and the girl didn't even know what it was! lol That should be a good sign...That is the closest one in my state, their is actually one closer but it is acrossed the bridge-$3 toll.. I'll call them later. BTW, the Walmart site has NO mention of Flumist-anywhere!

The irony: I put just "flu" in Walmart search engine and look at the first result:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/searc...arch_query=flu
#4 of 6 Old 10-11-2003, 11:56 AM

you might want to contact this guy who has this site...he might be able to give you a list of additional people to get your letter.

http://pweb.jps.net/~dcasner/SFSAWalMartPage.html

sometimes going higher up the food chain helps.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#5 of 6 Old 10-14-2003, 08:05 AM

sad to say, but until you can get more than half of walmarts consumers to send in a paper, im sure you paper will eithe rjust get a nod and a toss, or you'll just get a coupon for 5 bucks off your next order. most humans want the easy way out of things. a nasal vax is much easier than a shot, so walmart understands that and cant wait to make a buck! the only solution i can see, is to burn as many walmarts as we can find to the ground( without anyone in them of course). the more that get destroyed, the less business they get while building a new one. id loooove to do that, but i have a family
the most i can see having any effect, is a picket in front. if there was one near me id join up. handing out flyers on info about the vax and such.
geez..... now i have to go to work all worked up but at least it'll keep me awake
#6 of 6 Old 10-14-2003, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by infraread
Hi Leslie, I haven't gone head-to-head with our local Wal-marts yet (we have 2 stupidcenters, er, supercenters),

OT, but I always thought they were stupermarkets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page